ESPNbarassing

Beerball

Halloween Derby?  give me a fuggin break.  Self promotion has been taken to a new level. :(

820699[/snapback]

These guys make watching a football game painful which is hard to do. The Theismann and Kornheiser suck up fest was too much for me to stomach.

The entire ESPN Football production is garbage. It all seems contrived, phony, forced upon us and way overblown. I don't need 10 minutes of crap before the game starts at 8:40. I don't need to see Paris Hilton. I don't need Music Video Openings and 5 minutes of computer graphics blowing stuff up on the screen. I don't need TWO utterly useless sideline reports. Just come on at 8:30. Play the MNF song and start the freakin game.

The other thing I really, really hate- The "Monday Night Football Countdown Clock" on the bottom of the screen - 24 HOURS before the games starts! I KNOW when MNF is on. How annoying is that?

Not to mention their schedule is utter crap as well. Next week- Seattle vs Oakland. Ohhh. Can't wait. The Countdown clock is on. 145:47:00.

The entire ESPN Football production is garbage. It all seems contrived, phony, forced upon us and way overblown.  I don't need 10 minutes of crap before the game starts at 8:40. I don't need to see Paris Hilton. I don't need Music Video Openings and 5 minutes of computer graphics blowing stuff up on the screen. I don't need TWO utterly useless sideline reports. Just come on at 8:30. Play the MNF song and start the freakin game.

The other thing I really, really hate- The "Monday Night Football Countdown Clock" on the bottom of the screen - 24 HOURS before the games starts! I KNOW when MNF is on. How annoying is that?

Not to mention their schedule is utter crap as well. Next week- Seattle vs Oakland. Ohhh. Can't wait. The Countdown clock is on. 145:47:00.

820776[/snapback]

A-friggin-men!

These guys make watching a football game painful which is hard to do.  The Theismann and Kornheiser suck up fest was too much for me to stomach.

820750[/snapback]

I have to turn the volume off, it's such drab that I often consider self inflicting a knife into my temple.

ESPN officially sucks in my book, the radio, the channel, everything.

Everyone involved looked like they were embarassed to be there. I know I was embarrased to watch. I would really like to watch a game without the crap some Network idiot dreams up.

On Screen Down-and-Distance arrows before the snap? GONE!

Useless sideline reporters who talk over plays? GONE!

Puking out love songs about one or two players the whole game? GONE!

Witty banter? GONE!

Joe Theisman, Tony Kornheiser, Mike Tirico, Boomer Esiason, Michael Irvin, Dan Marino, Dan Dierdorff? GONE!!!!!!!!!

Vote for me.

Living on the Left Coast benefit #1: Tivo the game and start watching it around 7 p.m. You avoid all the moronic crap with the press of a button.

And if I may use this space for a side note to Tony Kornhole:

Mr. Kornhole,

You are trying to make a living as a MNF mouthpiece who tells it like it is and who flies in the face of normal announcing. You call Theesman to the turf if he starts gushing about player, or contradicts himself, or any other football cliche is being shown.

But if you're going to take this role, then to have credibility, you must not be afraid to say something like "Holy crap. Why are the refs calling so many pass interference penalties on the Vikings when the defender isn't even touching the receiver? How can the refs watch REPLAY of a Viking receiver catch a ball, take three steps, make a football move AS CLEAR AS DAY, and call the pass incomplete?"

Congratulations, Tony. You're now just as worthless as the rest of them and have all the credibility of a wet mop.

And do me a favor. Shave your head or get the rest of the implants.

Everyone involved looked like they were embarassed to be there. I know I was embarrased to watch. I would really like to watch a game without the crap some Network idiot dreams up.

On Screen Down-and-Distance arrows before the snap? GONE!

Useless sideline reporters who talk over plays? GONE!

Puking out love songs about one or two players the whole game? GONE!

Witty banter? GONE!

Joe Theisman, Tony Kornheiser, Mike Tirico, Boomer Esiason, Michael Irvin, Dan Marino,  Dan Dierdorff? GONE!!!!!!!!!

Vote for me.

820845[/snapback]

Agreed. Especially the down and distance arrow. Whatever happend to just listing "3rd and 4" in small text right below the score in the upper corner?

If you need a !@#$ing arrow to show you 3rd and 4, because you cant determine that a team on the 32 needs to get to the 36 on 3rd and 4, dont bother watchign football.

Get a grip people. If the production of a football game really makes you angry, it may be time to evaluate yourself.

I thought the halftime race was hilarious. It was 49 bonus seconds that I didn't have to listen to John Mellencamp's Chevy song. Plus, I was really holding out hope that the guy in the Michael Irvin costume would kneel down and pretend to snort the goalline.

ESPN's only good points are Stephen A. Smith and Stuart Scott.

And the Baseball Tonight crew, they are generally pretty informative. Although w/o Harold Reynolds, they may offer less analysis and sink down to the rest. We'll have to see.

Any old farts here? I remember the great Ray Scott doing games in the 60s:

"Starr...Dowler...touchdown."

That was it...a touchdown pass that would have the present-day terds doing cartwheels, was often as simply stated as that.

Of course, we only had a B/W Zenith at the time also.... :(

Agreed. Especially the down and distance arrow. Whatever happend to just listing "3rd and 4" in small text right below the score in the upper corner?

If you need a !@#$ing arrow to show you 3rd and 4, because you cant determine that a team on the 32 needs to get to the 36 on 3rd and 4, dont bother watchign football.

820967[/snapback]

Have you never had to answer the phone or the door or a nature call and when you get back to the game you want to know what the down and distance is ?

It is a reasonable request. I like the down and distance on screen things myself.

Have you never had to answer the phone or the door or a nature call and when you get back to the game you want to know what the down and distance is ?

It is a reasonable request. I like the down and distance on screen things myself.

821019[/snapback]

I actually like it as well -- yeah, you can tell by reading "3rd and 4" but seeing the first down line and/or the arrow on the screen is pretty cool.

Plus, the technology that makes it happen is VERY cool :(

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question225.htm

Never have I come to hate a song and a truck so fast.

821041[/snapback]

You have to admit though, that commercial with the office monkeys rocking out to Quiet Riot is the BEST. COMMERCIAL. EVER. I think it was for CareerBuilder.com

I mean it has it all. Monkeys, in people clothes, "Cum on Feel the Noise". What more can you ask?

You have to admit though, that commercial with the office monkeys rocking out to Quiet Riot is the BEST. COMMERCIAL. EVER.  I think it was for CareerBuilder.com

I mean it has it all.  Monkeys, in people clothes, "Cum on Feel the Noise". What more can you ask?

821045[/snapback]

Those commercials are awesome! The newest one, which I have only seen once, has the guy in the restroom when the boss monkey comes in. The boss monkey gives the employee his perfomance review at the urinal, talks about a raise, and they guy goes, "but that's less than I make now sir" as the boss is walking out. Hilarious!

821041[/snapback]

There were several times during the World Series where that commercial aired twice in the same break. Between the Tigers playing like schit, Tim McCarver, and "From the East coast, to the West coast, to the Dixie Highway...." I really contemplated suicide on numerous occasions.

ESPN officially sucks in my book, the radio, the channel, everything.

820842[/snapback]

I think ESPN's baseball coverage is pretty good overall. I just wish there was more of it. The NFL does NOT need round the clock coverage (the NFL's hype machine is one of the main reasons I like the league a whole lot less now than I did a few years ago).

I actually like it as well -- yeah, you can tell by reading "3rd and 4" but seeing the first down line and/or the arrow on the screen is pretty cool.

Plus, the technology that makes it happen is VERY cool :(

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/question225.htm

821025[/snapback]

Can't wait 'till they get around to sticking a company's logo on the flat end of that arrow... :(

You have to admit though, that commercial with the office monkeys rocking out to Quiet Riot is the BEST. COMMERCIAL. EVER.  I think it was for CareerBuilder.com

I mean it has it all.  Monkeys, in people clothes, "Cum on Feel the Noise". What more can you ask?

821045[/snapback]

That is a classic

821041[/snapback]

Really original too! :pirate:

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND

words and music by Woody Guthrie

This land is your land, this land is my land

From California, to the New York Island

From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters

This land was made for you and me

MY COUNTRY

words and music by John Mellencamp

From the east coast

To the west coast

Down the Dixie Highway

Back home

This is our country

Really original too!  :pirate:

THIS LAND IS YOUR LAND

words and music by Woody Guthrie

This land is your land, this land is my land

From California, to the New York Island

From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters

This land was made for you and me

MY COUNTRY

words and music by John Mellencamp

From the east coast

To the west coast

Down the Dixie Highway

Back home

This is our country

821418[/snapback]

On the other hand, there are Pats fans who have no idea who Steve Grogan was so I suspect most of today's "utes" don't know much about Woody...or Arlo, for that matter. They likelyk think Pete Seeger had a Silver Bullet Band.

Any old farts here?  I remember the great Ray Scott doing games in the 60s:

"Starr...Dowler...touchdown."

That was it...a touchdown pass that would have the present-day terds doing cartwheels, was often as simply stated as that.

Of course, we only had a B/W Zenith at the time also.... :D

821013[/snapback]

Oh, God, I've read this entire thread and have chosen this entry to which to respond. I'll reluctantly wear the "Old Fart" moniker - but, no, I didn't watch Starr. Only on the sidelines in the 70s during a horrible stretch. Thank God for community ownership, because it's the only way they kept the team in that town during those years. What are WE going to do?

Weighing in on this thread, one can really begin to see the dichotomy between us "Old Farts" and the....well, "non-Old Farts". Here's my thought, you young fellers. We're the lucky ones, you're the saps. Why? Because we at least REMEMBER the black-and-white Zenith (yes, we had one of those as well), and we REMEMBER life before Michael Irvin's "commentary", and we REMEMBER Monday Night games that actually started at 9:06 P.M. without the GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

All you poor little barstards are going to ever watch is the mahnuah that's fed to you, and the worst part is that you think it's "slick". Where's the "barf" icon for me to click here? It doesn't HAVE to be so processed, so slick, so cheese-food! I'm a reasoning, articulate human being who has (against all odds) learned to walk upright. So what? Here's what, pinheads at ESPN - I can tell you when a screen is being set up. I can tell by watching when the QB is nervous and is going to (attempt to) dump to the fullback. I can tell when the safety's grabbed the facemask. I don't need to have it explained to me with graphics, commentary, sideline updates (nice boobs, though) and screen bugs.

And THAT'S why I feel bad for you "non-Old Farts". At least I got to watch a simpler game. I'm going to quote this from memory:

I am gross and perverted

I'm obsessed and deranged

I have existed for years

But very little has changed

I'm vile and pernicious

but you can't look away

I make you think I'm delicious

With the stuff that I say

I'm the tool of the government and industry too

For I am destined to rule, and regulate you

I'm the best you can get

Have you guessed me yet?

I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set

Okay, sports fans, let's see who remembers that one. And how true the great man was. :pirate:

Oh, God, I've read this entire thread and have chosen this entry to which to respond.  I'll reluctantly wear the "Old Fart" moniker - but, no, I didn't watch Starr.  Only on the sidelines in the 70s during a horrible stretch.  Thank God for community ownership, because it's the only way they kept the team in that town during those years.  What are WE going to do?

Weighing in on this thread, one can really begin to see the dichotomy between us "Old Farts" and the....well, "non-Old Farts".  Here's my thought, you young fellers.  We're the lucky ones, you're the saps.  Why?  Because we at least REMEMBER the black-and-white Zenith (yes, we had one of those as well), and we REMEMBER life before Michael Irvin's "commentary", and we REMEMBER Monday Night games that actually started at 9:06 P.M. without the GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

All you poor little barstards are going to ever watch is the mahnuah that's fed to you, and the worst part is that you think it's "slick".  Where's the "barf" icon for me to click here?  It doesn't HAVE to be so processed, so slick, so cheese-food!  I'm a reasoning, articulate human being who has (against all odds) learned to walk upright.  So what?  Here's what, pinheads at ESPN - I can tell you when a screen is being set up.  I can tell by watching when the QB is nervous and is going to (attempt to) dump to the fullback.  I can tell when the safety's grabbed the facemask.  I don't need to have it explained to me with graphics, commentary, sideline updates (nice boobs, though) and screen bugs.

And THAT'S why I feel bad for you "non-Old Farts".  At least I got to watch a simpler game.  I'm going to quote this from memory:

I am gross and perverted

I have existed for years

I'm vile and pernicious

but you can't look away

I'm the best you can get

Have you guessed me yet?

Okay, sports fans, let's see who remembers that one.  And how true the great man was. :devil:

821443[/snapback]

The Torture Never Stops!! The Torture Never Stops!! :pirate:

Oh, God, I've read this entire thread and have chosen this entry to which to respond.  I'll reluctantly wear the "Old Fart" moniker - but, no, I didn't watch Starr.  Only on the sidelines in the 70s during a horrible stretch.   Thank God for community ownership, because it's the only way they kept the team in that town during those years.  What are WE going to do?

Weighing in on this thread, one can really begin to see the dichotomy between us "Old Farts" and the....well, "non-Old Farts".  Here's my thought, you young fellers.  We're the lucky ones, you're the saps.  Why?  Because we at least REMEMBER the black-and-white Zenith (yes, we had one of those as well), and we REMEMBER life before Michael Irvin's "commentary", and we REMEMBER Monday Night games that actually started at 9:06 P.M. without the GARBAGE GARBAGE GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

All you poor little barstards are going to ever watch is the mahnuah that's fed to you, and the worst part is that you think it's "slick".  Where's the "barf" icon for me to click here?  It doesn't HAVE to be so processed, so slick, so cheese-food!  I'm a reasoning, articulate human being who has (against all odds) learned to walk upright.  So what?  Here's what, pinheads at ESPN - I can tell you when a screen is being set up.  I can tell by watching when the QB is nervous and is going to (attempt to) dump to the fullback.  I can tell when the safety's grabbed the facemask.  I don't need to have it explained to me with graphics, commentary, sideline updates (nice boobs, though) and screen bugs.

And THAT'S why I feel bad for you "non-Old Farts".  At least I got to watch a simpler game.  I'm going to quote this from memory:

I am gross and perverted

I have existed for years

I'm vile and pernicious

but you can't look away

I'm the best you can get

Have you guessed me yet?

Okay, sports fans, let's see who remembers that one.  And how true the great man was. :w00t:

821443[/snapback]

I have no idea who wrote that bumper sticker poetry but I will guess that he was neither great nor true.

As for feeling sorry for everyone in the world who is younger than you did the people who lived in the time of the ice deliver man ever say that they feel sorry for you with your electricity and refridgeration? How about medieval surfs who were fortunate to live in the rollicking times of the black death and a life akin to slavery? Do you think they felt sorry for the poor saps who lived in the Renaissance?

I have no idea who wrote that bumper sticker poetry but I will guess that he was neither great nor true.

As for feeling sorry for everyone in the world who is younger than you did the people who lived in the time of the ice deliver man ever say that they feel sorry for you with your electricity and refridgeration?  How about medieval surfs who were fortunate to live in the rollicking times of the black death and a life akin to slavery?  Do you think they felt sorry for the poor saps who lived in the Renaissance?

821523[/snapback]

Bumper sticker poetry? That is a classic song by Frank Zappa from one of his greatest albums "Overnight Sensation". The song is called "I am the Slime". You should check it out. Some of the hottest guitar licks this side of the 70s. :pirate:

821041[/snapback]

Chevy, John Mellencamp To Invade Iran

"We’re going to roll into Tehran with our fleet of rugged Chevy Silverados and show those towel heads what American folks can do when we pull together. Then we’re gonna get together around a campfire with our cowboy hats on, eat some steak, and listen to John sing that song over and over again, which should drive the remainder of the Iranians to suicide, if they have any taste in music.”

On the other hand, there are Pats fans who have no idea who Steve Grogan was so I suspect most of today's "utes" don't know much about Woody...or Arlo, for that matter. They likelyk think Pete Seeger had a Silver Bullet Band.

821433[/snapback]

I think they were the Coors Light house band, IIRC.