Josh Reed = Good Game

5 Wide

Josh Reed had a nice game. He made some good catches and ran hard after the catch. On his one grab he proceeded to drag the db 5 yards after contact. Damien Shelton, you on the other hand, you need to actually make contact with someone to receive a grade. I'm not sure why that at 265 pounds you need to put your head down and lunge at a blitzing LB on a blitz pickup as opposed to squaring up and just taking the man, but you wiffed hard a couple times yesterday. I've been neutral as far as what Shelton means to the team, but that was horrible.

I really question his value on the kick-off return team. I understand the concept of him being out there as a blocker but all he did yesterday was slow down returns. Was he part of the kick-return game last year? I didn't think he was and I sure don't think he contributed yesterday.

I really question his value on the kick-off return team. I understand the concept of him being out there as a blocker but all he did yesterday was slow down returns. Was he part of the kick-return game last year? I didn't think he was and I sure don't think he contributed yesterday.

769382[/snapback]

I agree, there was one return where McGee tried to break it outside, there was one guy between him and at least 20 yards of green and Shelton blocked the one guy right into McGee. If Shelton could have held that block for a second or two there would have been a great return, instead we got the ball on our own 10. I believe that was the series that lead to the safety.

This might sound idiotic to some but if Reed had amazing hands he'd be a clone of Hines Ward. Both are fantastic blockers in the run game, both know how to find a weakness in the D and get open on a regular basis but only one actually makes the catch on a consistent basis when the ball is thrown his way. If Reed could get his head out of his as$ and focus for an entire game the guy would be a player.

That weakass attempt at blitz pickup by Shelton is nothing but a continuation of his poor play at FB from last year.  They had all offseason to address it and yet he's still here. 

Maybe next year.  ;)

769402[/snapback]

Yeah, as impressed as I was with Shelton's play two years ago the guy just continues his backslide. I'd like to see the Bills go with more 3WR sets and get Shelton off the field. It's not like he's doing anything in the backfield anyway.

Josh Reed had a nice game. He made some good catches and ran hard after the catch.  On his one grab he proceeded to drag the db 5 yards after contact.  Damien Shelton, you on the other hand, you need to actually make contact with someone to receive a grade.  I'm not sure why that at 265 pounds you need to put your head down and lunge at a blitzing LB on a blitz pickup as opposed to squaring up and just taking the man, but you wiffed hard a couple times yesterday.  I've been neutral as far as what Shelton means to the team, but that was horrible.

769365[/snapback]

I read some posts defending Shelton's performance because it was "only preseason." Never understood why individual performances should be excused when you're battling for jobs just because the outcome of the game doesn't count. But now that he's sucking in regular games I think this can be added to the list of issues that need to be addressed. Granted, not at the top of the list, but an upgrade would be in order.

I, too, must admit Reed had a good game. I've thought for several years he should be gone. But, he did make some nice catches. The first catch of his on the sideline was something I thought he was incapable of.

To harp on a different player: I did notice Wire chasing, in vain, the Patriot ball carrier on several plays. (Notice I said chasing not tackling.)

I, too, must admit Reed had a good game.  I've thought for several years he should be gone.  But, he did make some nice catches.  The first catch of his on the sideline was something I thought he was incapable of.

To harp on a different player:  I did notice Wire chasing, in vain, the Patriot ball carrier on several plays.  (Notice I said chasing not tackling.)

769666[/snapback]

I noticed Wire filling the holes and then flat out missing the tackle....but the coaches took him out of the game because we have Whitner. Shelton on the other hand, there is no plan B

That weakass attempt at blitz pickup by Shelton is nothing but a continuation of his poor play at FB from last year.  They had all offseason to address it and yet he's still here. 

Maybe next year.  ;)

769402[/snapback]

You are 100% correct. I can't understand why he's still on this team.

The thing about Reed is that he usually and repeatedly makes the tough grabs, so his hands are not the problem. He drops the easiest ones and catches the often hardest ones. So it's a concentration/confidence problem not a talent/hands problem.

769674[/snapback]

Exactly. Reed has great hands. I continue to think he may get stoned too often.

What about Peerless catching the ball over the middle while taking a lick? Where did THAT come from?

I noticed Wire filling the holes and then flat out missing the tackle....but the coaches took him out of the game because we have Whitner.  Shelton on the other hand, there is no plan B

769673[/snapback]

No, but there is a plan A: 3 WR-sets, with Shelton on the bench. ;)