Most underrated Bill of the last 25 years

Buftex

1. Frank Lewis.

2. Roland Hooks.

3. Eugene Marve.

727835[/snapback]

I kind of screwed up my own thread, I had meant to stick with the "last 15 years" theme of other recent posts like this.

Being that I loved those Chuck Knox era teams, all of these guys deserve mention...I might also throw in Steve Freeman and Charles Romes...

Another guy from that era that seems to get overlooked, and one of my top 5 Bills of all times, was Jerry Butler. I think those of us old enough to remember him, appreciate how great he was, but his career was cut short by injuries, so lots forget about him...Joe Cribbs was also a great RB, whose career was cut short by a cheap owner, and the lure of the USFL dollar!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of screwed up my own thread, I had meant to stick with the "last 15 years" theme of other recent posts like this.

Being that I loved those Chuck Knox era teams, all of these guys deserve mention...I might also throw in Steve Freeman and Charles Romes...

Another guy from that era that seems to get overlooked, and one of my top 5 Bills of all times, was Jerry Butler.  I think those of us old enough to remember him, appreciate how great he was, but his career was cut short by injuries, so lots forget about him...Joe Cribbs was also a great RB, whose career was cut short by a cheap owner, and the lure of the USFL dollar!

727956[/snapback]

Romes was a great player. It's my opinion that 1980 and 1990 were the only two years in Bills history that we were the best team in the league.

It's my opinion that 1980 and 1990 were the only two years in Bills history that we were the best team in the league.

727986[/snapback]

Huh, I've never heard this before but '80 was a bit before my time so I looked up the season here..

This was apparantly before homefield in the playoffs was based on merit? The Bills had the same record as the Chargers but beat them and had to play in SD. Beat Oakland pretty good too. How the F*% did they get swept by the Colts.

Huh, I've never heard this before but '80 was a bit before my time so I looked up the season here..

This was apparantly before homefield in the playoffs was based on merit?  The Bills had the same record as the Chargers but beat them and had to play in SD.  Beat Oakland pretty good too.  How the F*% did they get swept by the Colts.

727998[/snapback]

In 1979 season's Super Bowl, The Steelers beat the Rams. In the 1980 season SB the Raiders beat the Eagles. In the next season's SB, The 49er beat the Bengals. So that 1980 Bills team beat both of the previous seasons Super Bowl opponents, the 1980 SB winner (and didnt play the loser) and both of the following seasons Super Bowl teams. 5-0 against them. We had the best team in the league but injuries in the playoff game to the QB and a few others sabotaged the run.

I'll say Sam Cowart. He was an absolute tackling machine for the Bills and had the stats, but not the recognition and hype Ray Lewis received.

If he didn't have that Achilles heel injury, and hit FA healthy, I think every NFL fan in the US would have known his name. Maybe he doesn't fit "underappreciated" by Bills fans, but from a league perspective, I think he was.

Kent Hull.

727779[/snapback]

I wouldn't call Hull underrated....He is on the Bills Wall of Fame....and made

quite a few Pro Bowls especially in the era of Bruce Matthews and the guy

who was in Pittsburgh....

I'll say Sam Cowart.  He was an absolute tackling machine for the Bills and had the stats, but not the recognition and hype Ray Lewis received. 

If he didn't have that Achilles heel injury, and hit FA healthy, I think every NFL fan in the US would have known his name.  Maybe he doesn't fit "underappreciated" by Bills fans, but from a league perspective, I think he was.

728042[/snapback]

Very true.

In just a few years, our LBs dropped to injuries one after the other. :unsure: We lost Covington (a particular favorite of mine), Cowart, Paup (NFL Defensive Player of the Year), Holocek, and Speilman. All of these guys were solid, some literally great.

Btw, although the term "under rated" doesn't apply. I think that Kerner was on his way to being a solid player when he went down to injury.

Another guy from that era that seems to get overlooked, and one of my top 5 Bills of all times, was Jerry Butler.  I think those of us old enough to remember him, appreciate how great he was, but his career was cut short by injuries, so lots forget about him...Joe Cribbs was also a great RB, whose career was cut short by a cheap owner, and the lure of the USFL dollar!

727956[/snapback]

Up until Reed and Lofton, Butler was the best receiver I had ever seen in a Bills uniform and that includes Haven Moses, JD Hill, Frank Lewis, Bobby Chandler and Marlin Briscoe. Had he not been derailed by injuries, I think he had the talent to get to the Hall.

Last 5 Years:  Brian Moorman

Last 10 Years:  Doug Flutie  (personally I couldn't stand the midget, but he did single handedly save the franchise)

Last 15 Years:  Frank Reich

Last 20 Years:  Jim Ritcher

Last 25 Years:  Bill Simpson (although there are a lot more to choose from)

727898[/snapback]

I disagree with all of these names.

Moorman - known as one of ther top punters in the league today.

Flutie - Gets more publicity as a backup than most starters; his Hail Mary pass will live forever.

Reich - Forever known for "the comeback"!

Ritcher - Was under rated for many years but is known in Buffalo as a Wall of Fame guy

Bill Simpson - He had pro-bowl credentials as a LA Ram and played less than 2 full years as a Buffalo Bill; he fell down in the San Deigo playoff game loss and that play cost us the game. How about a guy like Joe Devlin?

I'll say Sam Cowart.  He was an absolute tackling machine for the Bills and had the stats, but not the recognition and hype Ray Lewis received. 

If he didn't have that Achilles heel injury, and hit FA healthy, I think every NFL fan in the US would have known his name.  Maybe he doesn't fit "underappreciated" by Bills fans, but from a league perspective, I think he was.

728042[/snapback]

Bingo. Before his injury he was every bit as good and Lewis as was just starting to get the recognition he deserved.

My second choice (in the last 15 years, not 25) would be A. Winfield. He didn't have the ability of Clements but he was (is) a superior cover man in both man to man and zone and a madman against the run...yet it's Clements who got all the praise.

Moorman - known as one of ther top punters in the league today. 

728103[/snapback]

Sure, he's rated as one of the top punters in the League, but the truth of the matter is that Moorman a couple years back was actually the Team's MVP. As long as he's only being compared to other punters, and not as one of the best players on the Bills, he's still being underrated.

JDG

Are we talking underrated league-wide or just by Bills fans?

If we're talking just by Bills fans, I'm going to say, despite his short career (thanks to injury), Damien Covington. Or Phil Hansen (still can't figure out if he was as good as he was SOLELY by virtute of being opposite Bruce). Or Henry Jones.

But if we are talking a player lacking league-wide recognition, it has to be someone like Darryl Talley, Hull, Cowart for a little while, etc.

Are we talking underrated league-wide or just by Bills fans?

If we're talking just by Bills fans, I'm going to say, despite his short career (thanks to injury), Damien Covington.  Or Phil Hansen (still can't figure out if he was as good as he was SOLELY by virtute of being opposite Bruce).  Or Henry Jones.

But if we are talking a player lacking league-wide recognition, it has to be someone like Darryl Talley, Hull, Cowart for a little while, etc.

728247[/snapback]

Aaron Schobel. The fact remains that Schobel is underrated by both the league and Bills fans in general. Many like to compare him to Phil Hansen but the reality he is far superior. As Schobel's collected 46.5 sacks in 80 career games, compare that to Hansen's 61.5 in 156 games and then tell me who's the better pass rusher. He's also surpassed Hansen in interceptions and forced fumbles and only 2 pass defensed behind again despite playing nearly half as many career games. I know someone will retort Hansen was a better run stuffer, well his stats due support this as he averaged 4.06 tackles per game compare that to Schobel's 3.73. To put that in perspective, over a season that amounts to 5.28 more tackles per season hardly a sifnificant difference if ask me. While Aaron will never be a Bruce Smith, a once in a lifetime (ie true franchise player) he very well could be the 2nd best DE we've ever had.

EDIT: I originally miscalculated Hansen's tackles and have corrected them.

Edited by The Jokeman