Most underrated Bill of the last 25 years

Buftex

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaron Schobel. The fact remains that Schobel is underrated by both the league and Bills fans in general.  Many like to compare him to Phil Hansen but the reality he is far superior. As Schobel's collected 46.5 sacks in 80 career games, compare that to Hansen's 61.5 in 156 games and then tell me who's the better pass rusher. I know someone will retort Hansen was a better run stuffer, well he averaged 3.12 tackles per game compare that to Schobel's 3.73! He's also surpassed Hansen in interceptions and forced fumbles and only 2 pass defensed behind again despite playing nearly half as many career games. While he will never be a Bruce Smith, a once in a lifetime (ie true franchise player) he very well could be the 2nd best DE we've ever had.

728249[/snapback]

Great post!

Schobel seems to get better each year. I am thrilled that TD was able to sign him long term. Imo, he is one of the best DEs in the NFL.

Bingo.  Before his injury he was every bit as good and Lewis as was just starting to get the recognition he deserved.

728124[/snapback]

That game in Tampa when he went down...he was having a monster game. The last series before he went down was an amazing, LT-like performance...

My vote, though, goes to Phil Hansen. Not a flashy performer, just solid and consistent. Bruce made the plays, but Hansen's performance anchored the defensive line for a decade. Frankly, I wish we had a few more guys like Hansen on the team right now...

Mark Pike

Tasker was the heart of the special teams during the glory years, but ask Marv and I'm sure he will tell you that Mark Pike was every bit as valuable.

Big play: After the Kenneth Davis TD to bring Buffalo to within 25 during the Comeback game, the "suicide onside," where Christie recovered his own kick, was setup by a crushing block by Pike on the nearest Oiler...allowing Christie to gobble up the ball.

Mark Pike gets my vote as the most underrated Bill of all time.

<_<

I don't think there is one person around who feels Kent Hull is underrated.  He signed in 1986, the same day as Kelly.  The two of them played together for the Bills for 10 years and both retired after the '96 season.  He played in 170 games, missing only 2, and along with Thurman and Kelly, Hull was considered a key reason why the Bills no-huddle offense was able to succeed. 

He was a three-time Pro Bowler, was selected to the Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame in 1997, received the Ralph C. Wilson Distinguished Service Award in 2001, selected to the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame in 2002, and has his name (and legacy) on the Wall of Fame at the Ralph.  He is certainly a top-3 all-time Bills lineman, and it would be tough to argue that he's not the best they've ever had. 

727891[/snapback]

Well said. A guy who could (God willing) end up in Canton (yeah, I know it's a long shot, but I can dream) can't really be underrated, can he?

Underrated????

What are the standards here?  Shane Conlan?  Come on people.  He won two NCAA championships, was a two-time All American, the #1 pick of the Bills, was the 1987 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, and played in three Pro Bowls and two Super Bowls in six seasons in Buffalo.  I don't think he was underrated.

727891[/snapback]

Shane played on one national championship team @ Penn State, not two. That said, I agree: he is in no way underrated.

My choice?  Pat Williams.  He brought it every game.  I'm not sure the Bills could've afforded to pay him what Minnesota did, but I think they underestimated how much he'd be missed.  They always assumed they could throw any fat-body in the mix to do Pat's job.

727891[/snapback]

I wouldn't say Williams was underrated. He was a rather popular player that many didn't want to see go, because they knew how valuable he was to the team.

Underrated? Try John Davis, a Plan B free agent acquisition by the Bills who helped to stabilize the offensive line. Playing w/ Richter, Hull, Ballard, and Wolford relegated him to "the other lineman" role, which is a bit unfair as he was a damn good guard for us.

Shane played on one national championship team @ Penn State, not two.  That said, I agree:  he is in no way underrated.

728735[/snapback]

Clearly Wikipedia could be wrong, but I read this somewhere else also. He maybe didn't play in '82, but it says he was part of the squad. You PSU fans would certainly know better than I would, though.

Conlan

Clearly Wikipedia could be wrong, but I read this somewhere else also.  He maybe didn't play in '82, but it says he was part of the squad.  You PSU fans would certainly know better than I would, though.

Conlan

728736[/snapback]

I don't know where they're getting that from. Scott Radecic, who also played for the Bills, started in the middle that season and Shane wasn't on the active roster. Unless he was redshirted that year and inactive (lil' help, Lori?), he was not on the team.

Underrated?  Try John Davis, a Plan B free agent acquisition by the Bills who helped to stabilize the offensive line.  Playing w/ Richter, Hull, Ballard, and Wolford relegated him to "the other lineman" role, which is a bit unfair as he was a damn good guard for us.

728735[/snapback]

That's funny, I was thinking Tim Vogler. Didn't Davis replace him after Vogler he limped into retirement?

London Fletcher.

How do you lead your team in tackles for as many years as he has, and still not get a Pro Bowl nod? "Alternate" just isn't going to cut it. I think the Tampa2-Plus is going to put him over the top.

I always likes Thomas Smith.  Too bad he had hands of lead, he could have had tons of Int's otherwise.

729075[/snapback]

The same could be said of Antoine Winfield. Either way I'd still take either Nate (Clements or Odomes) over either one of them.

The same could be said of Antoine Winfield. Either way I'd still take either Nate (Clements or Odomes) over either one of them.

729078[/snapback]

Me too... but I'd take Smith over Lil' Antoine, TS was much, much better in coverage. He really hit the wall fast after signing with the Bears, too bad.

Me too... but I'd take Smith over Lil' Antoine, TS was much, much better in coverage. He really hit the wall fast after signing with the Bears, too bad.

729108[/snapback]

Winfield was a much better Run stopper