I look for Aaron Schrobel to have a very good year

Last year with lack of inside DT pressure we had a lot of QB's feeling very comfortable in stepping up into the pocket to buy extra time....

I think that this year we are going to get a lot more pressure from our DT's......allowing an edge rusher like Schrobel a lot more opportunites for sacks....

JMO

Last year with lack of inside DT pressure we had a lot of QB's feeling very comfortable in stepping up into the pocket to buy extra time....

I think that this year we are going to get a lot more pressure from our DT's......allowing an edge rusher like Schrobel a lot more opportunites for sacks....

JMO

697897[/snapback]

lets hope so. last year any QB could have sat back there at lunch and took a nap and still completed the pass. Schobel has to have another solid year for us to be competative.

Personal changes?!? He didn't transgender did he?!?! If he did, every 4th Sunday he'd come off the edge like some raving, menstruating bich.

I like it......I like it a lot!! :(

Huh?...wha???.....OH!.....PERSONNEL changes......my bad. :P

JMO

697897[/snapback]

As if his 12.0 sacks last year wasn't a good season? I'm amazed as to how many dismiss Schobel as a very good player even by Bills fans. I think Schobel's biggest problem isn't that he's an average player but he's a very good player who happens to be following a great, once in a lifetime franchise, player in Bruce Smith.

I really have no problem with aaron schobel he's a very good but not great player. He doesnt command the respect that guys like freeney, peppers, strahan, taylor rice etc command, but he's far from a slouch he's a borderline top tier de, who would benefit greatly if we had a true pass rusher opposite him or at least another source to generate pressure. We should get that from our dt's at least hypothetically, and it should free up schobel to give him more opportunities to rush the passer, and make plays in the backfield.

As if his 12.0 sacks last year wasn't a good season? I'm amazed as to how many dismiss Schobel as a very good player even by Bills fans. I think Schobel's biggest problem isn't that he's an average player but he's a very good player who happens to be following a great, once in a lifetime franchise, player in Bruce Smith.

697993[/snapback]

Schobel has tallied 40 sacks in the past 4 years. While those numbers don't put him in the Strahan, Taylor, Rice or Freeney class they're still pretty damn good (in fact Julius Peppers only has half a sack more than Schobel over that period). I doubt there are many players in the league that have as many sacks as Schobel over that span yet he is consistantly overlooked by everybody, including Bills fans.

Schobel is no Bruce Smith but I'd say he's a top 10 DE.

Schobel has tallied 40 sacks in the past 4 years.  While those numbers don't put him in the Strahan, Taylor, Rice or Freeney class they're still pretty damn good (in fact Julius Peppers only has half a sack more than Schobel over that period).  I doubt there are many players in the league that have as many sacks as Schobel over that span yet he is consistantly overlooked by everybody, including Bills fans.

Schobel is no Bruce Smith but I'd say he's a top 10 DE.

698022[/snapback]

Maybe his stats lie a bit (what's that saying? "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"). Schobel doesn't appear to be a game-changer, the way guys like Freeney and Peppers are. I wonder how Schobel compares with those guys in hurries, knockdowns, pressures, and FF. I wonder if Schobel sees as many double teams as those guys, freeing up other d-linemen. I wonder if his sacks come in small bunches and then he disappears for stretches.

To the naked eye, Schobel doesn't look like a 12 sack guy.

John,

You have been doing this for years and I have been correcting you for years.

It's SCHOBEL. There's no 'R' in his name dammit!!!!!!!!

Whew had to get that off my chest.

Thank you

:(

JMO

697897[/snapback]

Dammit Dawg you know I cant type or spell worth a crap...:(

The point isn't to downgrade Aarons accomplishments so far but to say that he may have his best year yet this upcoming season....

Edge rushers get ridden out of plays when there is not interior pressure because the QB steps in under Guard/Center and the Tackle rides the edge rusher upfield......

Maybe his stats lie a bit (what's that saying? "There are lies, damn lies, and statistics"). Schobel doesn't appear to be a game-changer, the way guys like Freeney and Peppers are. I wonder how Schobel compares with those guys in hurries, knockdowns, pressures, and FF. I wonder if Schobel sees as many double teams as those guys, freeing up other d-linemen. I wonder if his sacks come in small bunches and then he disappears for stretches.

698034[/snapback]

I agree that pressures are far more important than sacks but sadly there are no "official" pressure stats. The teams keep them and they tend to pad the stats of their stars.

As for Schobel's sacks coming in bunches that's generally how most guys tally them, you just don't watch every single game that Freeney or Peppers play. My brother is a Indy fan and his main complaint about Freeney? It's that he's streaky and disappears for stretches. There is no way for any DE to be dominating all the time though the great ones do tend to make big plays at big moments.

Schobel is a good DE and is above average, but he is no where close to being a bonafide top 10 DE. Players like Freeney and Peppers get double teamed every single play, and sometimes even tripple teamed. Schobel on the other had rarely gets double teamed and when he does he just runs himself out of the play. I like Schobel alot though, and if he ever develops an inside move to go along with his outside rush he could end up being a number 1 DE. Right now however, I see him as one of the top #2 DE's.

JMO

697897[/snapback]

I hope so but I doubt it unless we can stop the run from the front four and little help from the backers.

BTW, people seem to forget who those big name DE's have on that line with them. I know for a fact these guys are not beating double teams constantly and putting up those numbers. They have help from the other side or a stud DT.

697993[/snapback]

I agree....I think that he gets no respect because he is a "white high motor" guy.... :( ...seriously though....he does get inflated numbers for "beating down" the weak links but hell......why not do that.....personally, I love his play and look for more out of him this year!!!

698034[/snapback]

One of the reasons which I think plays into Schobel not looking like a 12 sack guy and not beng feared as a pass rusher is that actually in the zone blitz scheme as Jerry Grau designed and ran it the last three years, Schobel was actually not called upon to pressure the QB at all in many passing situations.

The zone blitz worked because the OL did not know whether the blitzers would be the traditional folks on the DL or whether there might be an unexpected blitz from an LB or safety.

The zone blitz compensated for the hole left by one of these blitzers by actually having the DEs drop back into short zone pass coverage or in Schobel's case due adding to his athleticism by shedding a few lbs, these past three years he would even do man to man coverage on the TE or cover the medium zone.

I actually was most impressed with his registering 12 sacks by the fact this was not the typical RDE role of rush, rush, eush in passing situations.

I suspect he will be credited with having a much better year if his sack #s merely go up because he is pressuring the passer more.

Schobel was a great draft pick by TD, and extending him was an even better move. He is probably the player that the Bills can least afford to lose this year if we are to even approach respectability.

When he first came up, the better OTs used to push him around, but this is no longer the case. He has registered sacks against some of the best LTs in football.

AS IS a top ten DE in this league. While he does lack size, he has pure speed, and is able to pursue. Because of his speed, he is a hard hitter as well. He is also clearly stronger than he was a few years ago.

A top ten DE? Again, I think so, and for a bargain price as DEs go.

Jmo.

Schobel was a great draft pick by TD, and extending him was an even better move. He is probably the player that the Bills can least afford to lose this year if we are to even approach respectability.

When he first came up, the better OTs used to push him around, but this is no longer the case. He has registered sacks against some of the best LTs in football.

AS IS a top ten DE in this league. While he does lack size, he has pure speed, and is able to pursue. Because of his speed, he is a hard hitter as well. He is also clearly stronger than he was a few years ago.

Jmo.

698280[/snapback]

I'm actually curious whether Schobel will actually attempt to put on a little additional weight the is off-season as the switch to the Cover 2 from the zone blitz will actually reduce the need for him to be lmore manuverable and the lighter weight which sometime come with this.

My understanding is that Schobel shed 5-10 pounds from his rookie season as the move to the LeBeau and then the Hray zone blitz demanded greater athleticism from him as he at first played the short zone in pass coverage (allowing TKO and Fletch to blitz more ) but he actually improved his body and play even more that by 2005 he was comfortable playing some man to man against releasing RBs and TEs.

He did a great job at this body sculpting IMHO as he managed to cut weight while also increasing his resilience against the run as he learned how to get and use leverage on OL plauers. He eve improved his sack game (as seen in the increase in sack stats by developing additional moves he was comfortable with to beat a block and rush the passer.

It will be interesting to see if his weight now goes up as his pass coverage duties will drop and his pressure the QB and run stopping duties increase in the Cover 2. As I think run stopping will still not be his primary responsibility in the Cover 2, it still might make sense for his weight to increase, but speed and explosiveness will be a key to the rush in the Cover (or likely the Tampa) 2. Yf any additional weight is simply bulk and blubber, it might make him harder to move on run plays.

Hpwever, in the best worlds it will be extra weight from extra muscle which should allow him to pressure the QB still while also being a bigger more difficult load to move out of the way on rushes.

Jmo.

698280[/snapback]

Nice post, I agree.

I was very skeptical about extending or re-signing anyone after the wretched 2003 season, but Schobel sure proved me wrong... one of TD's finer moves.

I consider that a good thing.

698701[/snapback]

Amen! He is the reason Bruce had a resurgence in Buffalo that he did when Phil arrived. Sure, he won Defensive POTY because of what Paup did the year before, but Hansen had a lot to do with that as well.

I really have no problem with aaron schobel  he's a very good but not great player.  He doesnt command the respect that guys like freeney, peppers, strahan, taylor rice etc command, but he's far from a slouch he's a borderline top tier de, who would benefit greatly if we had a true pass rusher opposite him or at least  another source to generate pressure.  We should get that from our dt's at least hypothetically, and it should free up schobel to give him more opportunities to rush the passer, and make plays in the backfield.

698009[/snapback]

Exactly. Look at the stats. He'll have a game against the likes of Houston with 3 sacks and another game of a couple. The rest of the season he doesn't provide much of a threat. Other than the sacks, he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

He generally is also handled one-on-one. He doesn't require a double-team.

Exactly.  Look at the stats.  He'll have a game against the likes of Houston with 3 sacks and another game of a couple.  The rest of the season he doesn't provide much of a threat.  Other than the sacks, he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

699346[/snapback]

From my look at Schobel's play he definitely had variable games. However, I did not see a conistent reason why he did not produce sacks.

Some games he was in fact nullied one on one by a defender/

However, in other games he was doubled but this likely because the opposing O decided to run at him rather than away from him and he was at the point of attacj.

We were really blitzing rhe LBs with the zone blitz and when the LB s are coming this means a DE is dropping back in short zone coverage, this was often Schobel who has really develop some athleticism and shed weight to do this..

I wish I had paid fuller attention to specific players but I must admit as the went down the toilet my note taking on players took a hit as I could not stomac much tape review,

Still, it seemed that one reason why Schobel did not provide a consistent pass rush is that Gray did not sue him that wat. Schobels job in the zone blitz was to show rush and drop back into pass coverage or show driooing back and rush.

I remember watching him with a couple of buds and for a quarter we played watch Schoble and call wether he was ruahing or dropping back and he was pretty good at disguising his intent. In order to make an accurate assessment of how hos rish game was doing it became important to watch his teaamates and to attemopy yo figure out his resposiilitities.

From watching the variation in his olay and utilization (which actually mirrors that there was a significant variation in hs sack production fro game to fame.

A belivable analysis would be one which attempted to match the variations in his sack/pressure numbers. However since wr are going to ise a whole defense this year I'm not sure anyone will take the time.

On the other side, this is a contract year for Kelsay...

I hope the light finally turns on in his head & he shows up for all 16 games.

699533[/snapback]

I sure hope he turns it on. If so, I think he and Denney would make a strong rotation at left DE. If not, he's likely to lead to a future compensitory pick - - maybe a high one.

JMO

697897[/snapback]

I look for Schobel to have a typical year for him. That means 11 sacks or so, 80% of which come against the two worst teams on our schedule, whoever they end up being. :lol:

Exactly.  Look at the stats.  He'll have a game against the likes of Houston with 3 sacks and another game of a couple.  The rest of the season he doesn't provide much of a threat.  Other than the sacks, he doesn't provide a consistent pass rush.

699346[/snapback]

Actually, I'd say Schobel was perhaps our most consistent player last year. He regularly would be a half second from getting to the QB on passing plays, and was solid against the run. He was the only one who looked like he was definitely going to get to the QB if given 6-7 seconds on almost every play.

Schobel DID display more moves last year. In 2004 his best (and only really strong) move was the loop around LT. Last year he displayed a strong burst to the inside on quite a few plays. I think this put much more pressure on the opposing O-line to account for him than in the past.

Between Jennings, Pat Williams, and Schobel, I think Donahoe extended the right player.

699672[/snapback]

No brainer in hindsight. Sure Phat Pat is still great...but for how long?

Schobel is a top 10 DE. He matches up with or betters most DEs in the league.

By the way, I remember the days when most NFL magazines (pre internet) would slot Hansen into the #9 or #10 DE spot on their lists.

Man that was an awesome D-line we had...Big Ted in the middle if I remember correctly. He was considered at one point to be #3 or there abouts.

Schobel = Hansen

698477[/snapback]

With all due respect to Hansen (a very good Buffalo Bill), I think Schobel is a better player. Hansen had the luxury of playing with Bruce Smith, Marcellus Wiley, and Byrce Paup on much better overall Bills teams. Schobel has never had an opposite pass rusher close to those three. As the original poster mention, hopefully the interior of the line will get some pressue and ease up some of the burden on AS.