Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

You not feeling comfortable, soothes the rest of us dramatically, try learning about how many plays this guy will impact versus a DT.  Even saying we trade down, we could have gotten a great CB, OT.....

674802[/snapback]

dude..... theres still the other 6 rounds of the draft, we will probably get a DT so calm down. you're telling me you wanted bunkley or ngata??

As I said in another post, it is like buying a $50 stock for $100.

674792[/snapback]

That's exactly right, and it doesn't matter if the stock ends up being worth $200 a few years from now. You could have gotten a 400% return on your money instead of 200% and used the left over $50 on another stockthat had the potential to give a decent return as well.

riiiiiiiiiiiight. why wasn't worth a #8? because the draft guides said so? do you a real opinion of whitner that not's based on media commentary?

674814[/snapback]

Still there wasnt anyone who would have taken him we should have traded down...Im not condeming the pick but there is no question we could have gotten him later....Im speechless about this pick really Marv better know something that everyone else doesnt...

Do you remember that Marv said that he thought that the player they liked would be available later in the first round.

He was right.

What a reach.  It reminds me of when the Dolphins picked Eric Kumerow.

I hate it when teams reach.

As I said in another post, it is like buying a $50 stock for $100.

674792[/snapback]

Exactly. I hope this guy turns out to be Ed Reed Jr., but the fact remains that Marv could have gotten him cheaper, and the Bills could have gotten more picks in a trade down.

Both the Rams and Browns have just traded down. Those picks that they received would have looked pretty damn good for the Bills, especially if they got who they believe was the best safety left on the board.

Still there wasnt anyone who would have taken him we should have traded down...Im not condeming the pick but there is no question we could have gotten him later....Im speechless about this pick really Marv better know something that everyone else doesnt...

674828[/snapback]

why do you say that? detroit desperately needs a quality safety. they had allegedly wanted huff, but probably didn't expect to get him.

Excellent post.Much too logical for this board .

674801[/snapback]

I agree. Remember, of course the Bills could have traded down 100 times....most of the knee jerkers here today on TSW have that inside information correct??? :(:doh:

Funny thing is, the reactions by a lot of people here has now made me want to root for this guy even MORE!!!

Wow...some no-name at a magazine no one reads picked him #24, so he obviously belonged at #8.

674793[/snapback]

While not a fan of the pick myself, you don't really add any credibility to the argument by calling Paul Zimmerman at Sports Illustrated a "no-name who nobody reads." That's showing your ignorance right there.

First, I'd like to discuss who was available at the time. I dont feel comfortable with Bunkley or Ngata. I feel that Justice is a huge gamble and i would not want to grab him with #8 money.

What i wanted the Bills to do was trade down. I felt that one of the DT's being taken by us was the wrong pick. The only problem with trading down was the players available. The Eagles and Broncos were said to be the 2 teams interested in trading with us. I also did not feel comfortable with any of the players that were supposed to be available around those picks either even though we would be picking up another pick. Maybe Whitner would be there, maybe he wouldnt, but as I've said before, if you like a player draft him, dont take a chance on him being there when you trade down.

If you think the Bills didnt want to trade down and pick up Whitner your nuts. They were clearly on the phone but something wasnt right. Who knows what it was, BUT, if the Bills could have moved down they would have.

As many of you know, i was an advocate of taking Michael Huff with our pick. I think that Matt Bowen and Coy Wire suck, Troy Vincent is like 100 years old, and we have no depth behind these players.

Now the player. Coming straight from thehuddlereport.com the writeup on Whitner says, "Donte is one of the better tacklers in this draft.  He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler.  He has really good speed, size and shows an excellent burst to the ball.  He has good hands to go for the interception and shows impressive overall instincts for his position." The even more impressive thing i found in there was, "If you want a safety set to go for a two-deep zone coverage defense, don’t think twice about drafting Donte.  That is the system that he can handle right away and impact for you."

Bottom line: we needed a player like this on our defense, we should have traded down and we tried but it obviously wasnt a good situation. I dont care that we took him with the number 8 pick because the only difference between taking him then or later is money, and obviously the Bills feel comfortable enough paying him. One of the other choices at this spot would not have been good. Thank God matt bowen or coy wire doesnt have to start.

674750[/snapback]

Good Post. I agree with you Whitner will fit our new system and he is a safe pick. Not the gamble of a ngata or bunkley.

Both the Rams and Browns have just traded down.  Those picks that they received would have looked pretty damn good for the Bills, especially if they got who they believe was the best safety left on the board.

674830[/snapback]

How do you know the Ravens and Broncos wanted to move up all the way to 8? I love the draft because everyone thinks they know what will happen months in advance then draft day comes and everyone was wrong.