Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

Could have got this guy in the 20-somethings easily. Poor management of the draft. Just plain poor.

I don't mind taking a safety. I don't mind taking a solid football player. But the Bills had an opportunity to trade down with somebody desperate for a QB here and pick up more bodies.

:(:doh::doh:

Listen everyone - we will all spend the rest of the afternoon p i s s i n g and moaning about this pick, but it is a NEED without a doubt.  We gave up 55 RUSHES of 10 yards or more last year and we really NEEDED a dominant safety that can support the run and cut down on big pass plays.  Look at what an impact Polamalu made in Pittsburgh and Boulware in Seattle - no question that they were MVP's of the defense.

674603[/snapback]

Take off the rose-colored glasses. This is a HORRIBLE PICK at #8 no matter how you spin it. This guy is 2nd round talent at best.

Safety was NOT a need for this roster by any stretch... certainly not AHEAD of O-line, D-line, QUARTERBACK even. Marv now has six safeties on his roster.

Absolutely terrible. Goodbye consecutive sellouts...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/whitner_donte

Whitner is a junior who came out early for the NFL draft and is one of the better safeties available. Is a very good athlete with the natural explosiveness and playing speed to fly to the ball to make plays from sideline to sideline. Plays with the attacking, aggressive style that is hard to find, and it enables him to consistently play bigger than his size. Flies up in run support. On passes in front of him, will bend knees, get low and drive up into the ball carrier to make the hard hit. Is a versatile safety that has experience lining up in a variety of different alignments, which will offer his team the opportunity to move him around and use a variety of different defenses without having to substitute personnel. Overall, Whitner is probably going to slip lower in the draft than his production warrants, but it is due to his lack of size. He is going to be a good all-around starting safety in the NFL who consistently makes plays all over the field, against the run and the pass. Additionally, he will be a very good special teams player in the NFL.

I underlined a couple of sentences from the NFL profile. This is a fit to Tampa Nay Cover 2 defense.  Think of him as a Winfield playing safety.  Bggest problem is going to be big  TEs and WRs.

674587[/snapback]

You needed to underline "Overall, Whitner is probably going to slip lower in the draft than his production warrants, but it is due to his lack of size."

Marv could have made the same deal Denver made with St. Louis, draft the undersized safety, saved money on the cap, and we would have been better off.

This pick flat out SUUUUUCKS. It's freakin' amateur hour at OBD.

This pick has Erik Flowers written all over it - somebody who only the Bills see as being good enough to draft in the top 10 when everybody in the whole world sees he's not that good. There's a reason why we haven't been a good team in a long time - piss poor talen evaluation and getting way too cute on draft day.

Lets all take a deep breath - draft has just started

674639[/snapback]

And they're going to have to chase Guards, OTs, and DTs. Would have been nice to have an additional pick or two to do that, no?

The Bills could have easily had an extra 3rd rounder to fill out the roster by making the same deal that Denver just made and still gotten Whitner.

How about this concept:

I know this is hard to do.....very hard...

How about we give this kid a chance?

How many bad plays has he made for the Bills???

Maybe MV tried to make a deal and could not.....I'm sure teams did not believe the Bills would take a QB, so why would they pay to get him???

Ngata and Bunkley both have their flaws too....and so do others at this point.

I am willing to give Donte Whitner a chance...I read OSU fans sya they did not like him...heard some that love his upside...keep in mind he is 20 years old...and the Bills REALLY did need a Saftey

Wait and see approach for me....only way Ill really get upset is if a good trade offer was turned down...

Say this about Marv too...he does have a set of em as they say to make this type of pick....

Pros: Whitner, who declared for the draft after his junior season, is a young prospect who will turn 21 in July. He is one of the emerging playmakers who made fast progress in his final season. He has adequate size for the safety position, but his speed, instincts and movement skills make him a possible first-round selection. He is a very physical safety that likes to hit and is a very reliable and hart-hitting tackler that uses sound technique. He can be effective on the safety blitz, due to his speed and attitude. He goes hard until the whistle blows, showing a good deal of passion in his overall play. He has the athleticism to also project to cornerback with a possibility of filling the nickel corner role early in his career. He plays much bigger and more physical than most. He is an instinctive player who makes good decisions with nice awareness, and has the feel to get into position to make the play. He has the skills to hold his own in man coverage with the instincts, speed and change of direction skills to match up in man situations. In pass coverage, he has the makeup of a top corner, though not as developed.

Cons: At times, his passion can cause him to take too many chances and get beaten. He is better in zone than man coverage. He does not have great size for strong safety.

Numbers: At the Combine, ran the 40-yard dash 4.45 seconds with a 40” vertical jump and 11’ broad jump. He also did 18 reps in the 225-pound bench press.