Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

Still there wasnt anyone who would have taken him we should have traded down...Im not condeming the pick but there is no question we could have gotten him later....Im speechless about this pick really Marv better know something that everyone else doesnt...

674828[/snapback]

well----maybe we could have got him later and maybe not.If we definitely could have then Marv is a moron. But maybe they knew he wouild have been gone--and we would have been stuck with someone Marv didnt like for the privilege of getting a late 3rd rounder.

Street and Smith's had him rated as only the 5th best Safety in the draft.

It's a lousy pick through and through. A trade down with extra picks attached is the only way this pick would heve been palatable.

An "F" is too generous of a grade right now - F minus.

674845[/snapback]

??

I don't care who good this guy is in the Cover-Two. The Bills now have SIX safeties on the roster, plenty of them undersized. The #8 pick is reserved for the Ed Reed's and Ronnie Lott's of the world. Guys who can change a defense, no matter what the scheme.

For Marv to make this pick with so many other glaring holes to fill is reprehensible. Not only won't this guy start, this pick doesn't help the defense at the point of attack WHERE THEY WERE THE WEAKEST, doesn't improve a porous offensive line (Fowler? Reyes? Please...), hell... we have more of a need at quarterback than safety.

This is just a bad, bad pick by Marv. The needs far outweigh the luxury of another safety.

There are lots of morons who think they have something "important" to say. That's how you learn who/what they are.

674837[/snapback]

[/quot!e]

just blew a bunch of cap $ in the secondary with Nate still unsigned and lots of wholes and our chance to pick up another pick gone. hard to be to happy about this. Living in Jax for a long time perhaps it is time to switch to the Jags and save direct tv money

you may want to actually wait to see him play an nfl game before ridiculing the whitner pick. to those who are lambasting marv, i challenger every one of you to tell me whether you had one smidgen of an iota of a fraction of an opinion one way or another about whitner prior to 1:25 pm east coast time today. as to whether the bills could have traded down and still got him, i challenge any one of you to provide a smidgen of an iota of a fraction of evidence that the team that followed the bills (detroit) didn't want him badly.  and i think everyone would agree that the bills prior to today did not have an nfl-caliber strong safety.

by the way, here's what dr. z said about him:

No. 24 BENGALS: This guy will go higher because everybody's asking about him and everyone I talk to likes his game, which is aggressive and athletic. DONTE WHITNER, SS, OHIO STATE.

674781[/snapback]

This guy is a Small SS and a Slow FS. Everyone likes him so we draft him because others like him, not because that is who we needed. The ghost of TD lives in Modrak, he's got to go.

you may want to actually wait to see him play an nfl game before ridiculing the whitner pick. to those who are lambasting marv, i challenger every one of you to tell me whether you had one smidgen of an iota of a fraction of an opinion one way or another about whitner prior to 1:25 pm east coast time today. as to whether the bills could have traded down and still got him, i challenge any one of you to provide a smidgen of an iota of a fraction of evidence that the team that followed the bills (detroit) didn't want him badly.  and i think everyone would agree that the bills prior to today did not have an nfl-caliber strong safety.

No. 24 BENGALS: This guy will go higher because everybody's asking about him and everyone I talk to likes his game, which is aggressive and athletic. DONTE WHITNER, SS, OHIO STATE.

674781[/snapback]

I've watched every one of his college games.... He never stood out to me like mike doss did. Never like clements or Winfield.. He was really an above average tackler and hiter.. but an average playmaker

It looks like this guy, on his own merits, is going to be a pretty good player, and we should be happy about that.

But the Bills could have gotten him cheaper, and received extra picks to fill their remaining gaps.

We would have been much better off if the Bills would have made the same deals that the Rams and Browns did to move down.

When the 3rd rolls around, all of us here are going to wish the Bills an extra pick or two to pick up some wide bodies.

Marv and co. missed a huge opportunity to pick up an extra player or two.

I don't care who good this guy is in the Cover-Two.  The Bills now have SIX safeties on the roster, plenty of them undersized.  The #8 pick is reserved for the Ed Reed's and Ronnie Lott's of the world.  Guys who can change a defense, no matter what the scheme.

For Marv to make this pick with so many other glaring holes to fill is reprehensible.  Not only won't this guy start, this pick doesn't help the defense at the point of attack WHERE THEY WERE THE WEAKEST, doesn't improve a porous offensive line (Fowler?  Reyes?  Please...), hell... we have more of a need at quarterback than safety.

This is just a bad, bad pick by Marv.  The needs far outweigh the luxury of another safety.

674869[/snapback]

Would you please shut up

I mean we have a dozen threads about the kid already saying the same thing

HE WILL START ...........he is better than the safeties we got.........bar none

First, I'd like to discuss who was available at the time. I dont feel comfortable with Bunkley or Ngata. I feel that Justice is a huge gamble and i would not want to grab him with #8 money.

What i wanted the Bills to do was trade down. I felt that one of the DT's being taken by us was the wrong pick. The only problem with trading down was the players available. The Eagles and Broncos were said to be the 2 teams interested in trading with us. I also did not feel comfortable with any of the players that were supposed to be available around those picks either even though we would be picking up another pick. Maybe Whitner would be there, maybe he wouldnt, but as I've said before, if you like a player draft him, dont take a chance on him being there when you trade down.

If you think the Bills didnt want to trade down and pick up Whitner your nuts. They were clearly on the phone but something wasnt right. Who knows what it was, BUT, if the Bills could have moved down they would have.

As many of you know, i was an advocate of taking Michael Huff with our pick. I think that Matt Bowen and Coy Wire suck, Troy Vincent is like 100 years old, and we have no depth behind these players.

Now the player. Coming straight from thehuddlereport.com the writeup on Whitner says, "Donte is one of the better tacklers in this draft.  He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler.  He has really good speed, size and shows an excellent burst to the ball.  He has good hands to go for the interception and shows impressive overall instincts for his position." The even more impressive thing i found in there was, "If you want a safety set to go for a two-deep zone coverage defense, don’t think twice about drafting Donte.  That is the system that he can handle right away and impact for you."

Bottom line: we needed a player like this on our defense, we should have traded down and we tried but it obviously wasnt a good situation. I dont care that we took him with the number 8 pick because the only difference between taking him then or later is money, and obviously the Bills feel comfortable enough paying him. One of the other choices at this spot would not have been good. Thank God matt bowen or coy wire doesnt have to start.

674750[/snapback]

smart post.

The #8 pick is reserved for the Ed Reed's and Ronnie Lott's of the world.

This is just a bad, bad pick by Marv.  The needs far outweigh the luxury of another safety.

674869[/snapback]

Didn't Reed go around #20?

Coy wasn't going to start anyway.  There's a reason they signed Matt Bowen...

I'm sure this guy's a great player and will improve the secondary... there are just much greater needs than strong safety on this team.  And so far Marv has yet to improve any of those.

674883[/snapback]

We have 3 more picks today.

As much as I try yo have a positive spin on TwoBillsDrive, how can anyone rationalize picking a 2nd round rated, undersized safety when we had 4-5 other capable safeties in a daft deep at safety talent when the biggest need for the Bills are in the trenches on both sides? Even if this guy is a Hall of famer it was still dumb for the Bills could have played there cards right and got either extra picks and still got him or a comporable player. I just don't understand which direction this team is going.

674781[/snapback]

this post clearly shows why davemcbride is one of the top posters on this site.

Good post as always dave.