Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

My favorite part of the pick is that it only fills a hole that Marv created. Milloy struggled last year sure but not so much that the Bills needed to cut him and select a SS in the top 10. Does anybody think this kid is going to step in and be better than Milloy would have been healthy this year? I'm not a big Milloy fan but a lot of his problems last year have to be attributed to him playing injured.

They could have traded all the way down to 15 and still gotten him.  I don't care if they only get a 4th to do so, at least that's SOMETHING.  Unbelievable.

674540[/snapback]

This pick is part of Ralph's grand plan to relocate the Bills out of Buffalo.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/whitner_donte

Whitner is a junior who came out early for the NFL draft and is one of the better safeties available. Is a very good athlete with the natural explosiveness and playing speed to fly to the ball to make plays from sideline to sideline. Plays with the attacking, aggressive style that is hard to find, and it enables him to consistently play bigger than his size. Flies up in run support. On passes in front of him, will bend knees, get low and drive up into the ball carrier to make the hard hit. Is a versatile safety that has experience lining up in a variety of different alignments, which will offer his team the opportunity to move him around and use a variety of different defenses without having to substitute personnel. Overall, Whitner is probably going to slip lower in the draft than his production warrants, but it is due to his lack of size. He is going to be a good all-around starting safety in the NFL who consistently makes plays all over the field, against the run and the pass. Additionally, he will be a very good special teams player in the NFL.

I underlined a couple of sentences from the NFL profile. This is a fit to Tampa Nay Cover 2 defense. Think of him as a Winfield playing safety. Bggest problem is going to be big TEs and WRs.

Two words:  Utter.  Incompetence.

But as long as the team is owned by a senile old man, what do you expect?  This has Mr. Depends written all over it.

674560[/snapback]

It's gm is a f'ing senile old man. The idiot Peerless Price signing was a sign of things to come. It's gonna be a dark period for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Whitner is a junior who came out early for the NFL draft and is one of the better safeties available. Is a very good athlete with the natural explosiveness and playing speed to fly to the ball to make plays from sideline to sideline. Plays with the attacking, aggressive style that is hard to find, and it enables him to consistently play bigger than his size. Flies up in run support. On passes in front of him, will bend knees, get low and drive up into the ball carrier to make the hard hit. Is a versatile safety that has experience lining up in a variety of different alignments, which will offer his team the opportunity to move him around and use a variety of different defenses without having to substitute personnel. Overall, Whitner is probably going to slip lower in the draft than his production warrants, but it is due to his lack of size. He is going to be a good all-around starting safety in the NFL who consistently makes plays all over the field, against the run and the pass. Additionally, he will be a very good special teams player in the NFL.

I underlined a couple of sentences from the NFL profile. This is a fit to Tampa Nay Cover 2 defense.  Think of him as a Winfield playing safety.  Bggest problem is going to be big  TEs and WRs.

674587[/snapback]

Whoop de doodle doo. He's a SAFETY! A fukken safety when we need a LT, a DT, a DE and a whole other host of FAR more important positions than Safety.

Listen everyone - we will all spend the rest of the afternoon p i s s i n g and moaning about this pick, but it is a NEED without a doubt. We gave up 55 RUSHES of 10 yards or more last year and we really NEEDED a dominant safety that can support the run and cut down on big pass plays. Look at what an impact Polamalu made in Pittsburgh and Boulware in Seattle - no question that they were MVP's of the defense.

I underlined a couple of sentences from the NFL profile. This is a fit to Tampa Nay Cover 2 defense.  Think of him as a Winfield playing safety.  Bggest problem is going to be big  TEs and WRs.

674587[/snapback]

It doesn't matter how good the guy will be, he wasn't a value pick. The Bills could have moved down to the 15 spot, picked up a 3rd (hell, or even a lousy 4th!) and STILL gotten him, at a cheaper price tag too. This pick is bad on so many levels that have nothing to do with how succeful the player will be.

Listen everyone - we will all spend the rest of the afternoon p i s s i n g and moaning about this pick, but it is a NEED without a doubt.  We gave up 55 RUSHES of 10 yards or more last year and we really NEEDED a dominant safety that can support the run and cut down on big pass plays.  Look at what an impact Polamalu made in Pittsburgh and Boulware in Seattle - no question that they were MVP's of the defense.

674603[/snapback]

here's a novel thought:

HOW ABOUT STOPPING THE RUN AT THE LINE?!?!

Listen everyone - we will all spend the rest of the afternoon p i s s i n g and moaning about this pick, but it is a NEED without a doubt.  We gave up 55 RUSHES of 10 yards or more last year and we really NEEDED a dominant safety that can support the run and cut down on big pass plays.  Look at what an impact Polamalu made in Pittsburgh and Boulware in Seattle - no question that they were MVP's of the defense.

674603[/snapback]

:(

Boomer didn't know what to say because the entire ESPN crew SUCKS today...christ, my buddies and I could go up there and be as insightful as they are today.  These guys are usually on top of their games, but they don't seem like pros right now...

674575[/snapback]

Because NOBODY expected this guy to go in the top 10, they shouldn't have to start prepping the announcers about this guy .... oh, I don't know, for a few more hours