Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

First off, I hate this positive bullsh*t that some people are speaking. That is not what draft day is about in Buffalo.

Second off, I was outside smoking a cigarette when i came to a revelation. I think Whitner probably has adopted more children than Angelina Jolie and is a real character guy. That is why we drafted him.

This pick has Erik Flowers written all over it - somebody who only the Bills see as being good enough to draft in the top 10 when everybody in the whole world sees he's not that good. There's a reason why we haven't been a good team in a long time - piss poor talen evaluation and getting way too cute on draft day.

674660[/snapback]

Erik Flowers is still getting looks from teams as of today....I'd say this pick is more like the Jon Harris pick of the Eagles from the late 90s :(

Why couldn't they have just taken Bunkley......

And I can ONLY assume the Bills figure they have all the pieces along the O-line and D-line, and that they couldn't find anyone to trade with for close to value.

674711[/snapback]

Who cares if it's close to value if you're going to just pick the guy anyway. You take ANY offer before you pick a guy that will be there 7 picks later.

Holy crap i'm about to piss on myself laughing! The Bills found a way to blow the #8 pick in the draft!

674487[/snapback]

At leat they didn't pick Leinart! Fire Marv now! Fire Modrak now.

Maybe the senile front office led by Ralph will draft a punter in round 2.

The Rams acquired the broncos 1st and 2nd round pick in order to draft Jay Cutler. We could have made the same move. But then we would have more picks and we all know that the bills dont need help all over the field. we only need a free safety. Keeps your heads up guys, we're goin to the SB. :(

The Rams acquired the broncos 1st and 2nd round pick in order  to draft Jay Cutler. We could have made the same move. But then we would have more picks and we all know that the bills dont need help all over the field. we only need a free safety. Keeps your heads up guys, we're goin to the SB. :(

674726[/snapback]

:doh::doh::doh:

And they're going to have to chase Guards, OTs, and DTs.  Would have been nice to have an additional pick or two to do that, no?

The Bills could have easily had an extra 3rd rounder to fill out the roster by making the same deal that Denver just made and still gotten Whitner.

674695[/snapback]

i agree,Modrack is behind all of these bad drafts.He needs to go,Marv you blew it with the 8th pick.Simply Sickning :(

First, I'd like to discuss who was available at the time. I dont feel comfortable with Bunkley or Ngata. I feel that Justice is a huge gamble and i would not want to grab him with #8 money.

What i wanted the Bills to do was trade down. I felt that one of the DT's being taken by us was the wrong pick. The only problem with trading down was the players available. The Eagles and Broncos were said to be the 2 teams interested in trading with us. I also did not feel comfortable with any of the players that were supposed to be available around those picks either even though we would be picking up another pick. Maybe Whitner would be there, maybe he wouldnt, but as I've said before, if you like a player draft him, dont take a chance on him being there when you trade down.

If you think the Bills didnt want to trade down and pick up Whitner your nuts. They were clearly on the phone but something wasnt right. Who knows what it was, BUT, if the Bills could have moved down they would have.

As many of you know, i was an advocate of taking Michael Huff with our pick. I think that Matt Bowen and Coy Wire suck, Troy Vincent is like 100 years old, and we have no depth behind these players.

Now the player. Coming straight from thehuddlereport.com the writeup on Whitner says, "Donte is one of the better tacklers in this draft. He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. He has really good speed, size and shows an excellent burst to the ball. He has good hands to go for the interception and shows impressive overall instincts for his position." The even more impressive thing i found in there was, "If you want a safety set to go for a two-deep zone coverage defense, don’t think twice about drafting Donte. That is the system that he can handle right away and impact for you."

Bottom line: we needed a player like this on our defense, we should have traded down and we tried but it obviously wasnt a good situation. I dont care that we took him with the number 8 pick because the only difference between taking him then or later is money, and obviously the Bills feel comfortable enough paying him. One of the other choices at this spot would not have been good. Thank God matt bowen or coy wire doesnt have to start.

The angst on the Wall has nothing to do with the kid...it's where he was picked.  He might be a nice player, but #8?    No way.

674733[/snapback]

Agreed. I like what I hear, but the draft is about getting value for your picks. If he was still there at 14, why not trade with the Eagles and get another 3rd round selection.

So what???? This guy will be lucky to be an NFL player and the Bills pick him 8th. The Broncos just traded the 15th and their 3rd for the Rams 11th. We could've made that trade and still picked a better player than Whitner!!!!! and had an additional 3rd. Justice, bunkley, ngata are still on the board. With so many holes to fill it shouldn't be difficult to find a player to help now at 15.

Who would have thought the Bills would blow the 8th pick in the draft.

Everyone says we could have had him later on but with Oakland taking Huff, I think he would have been taken at 9 to Detroit

674684[/snapback]