Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

Oakland picking Huff is what threw the wrench in our works.  In fact, we may have been able to trade down twice, once with AZ for Leinart, and again for Denver for Cutler.  I defer to Levy and Modrak on Whittner, not Mel Kiper.

PTR

674909[/snapback]

Well...Kiper REALLY likes Whitner, he was talking him up all this past Week...It was just a bit of a surprise at #8, caught everyone off guard... But it's not like Mel thinks Whitner sucks...He likes him a lot... :(

1. Marv looks pretty old age picking a guy he seemingly could have traded down for.

2. The rants and whines from alleged Bills fans who are distraught that there own stone lock cold decisions were not followed with the #8.

Overall, the pick looks pretty weird, but the best sign it may be a good choice is all the whining it has producd from the so called experts.

Everybody agrees this one makes no sense, the only real thing to do is to wait and see how he produces on the field.

I guees it is draft weekend so whining is allowed and in fact encouraged by just those who say say what you want just get the name right. If you are selling a product it is far better to have folks talk about you (even if they are ragging on you) than ignore you.

Amen.

It's not about whether or not he's a good player, because he is. It's about value, and the Bills didn't get it with their pick. Although they needed a safety, OL and DL were higher priorities. A trade down would have been the way to go, regardless of whether or not they lost Whitner. Bottom line: this kid better be a stud because it was stupid to take him that high.

674916[/snapback]

People were willing to reach for Ngata, Bunkley, and Justice, so whats the big deal?

First off, I hate this positive bullsh*t that some people are speaking. That is not what draft day is about in Buffalo.

Second off, I was outside smoking a cigarette when i came to a revelation. I think Whitner probably has adopted more children than Angelina Jolie and is a real character guy. That is why we drafted him.

674712[/snapback]

Cigarettes don't give you revelations. They give you cancer.

I agree.  Remember, of course the Bills could have traded down 100 times....most of the knee jerkers here today on TSW have that inside information correct???  :(  :doh:

Funny thing is, the reactions by a lot of people here has now made me want to root for this guy even MORE!!!

674842[/snapback]

Using your rational you can defend any pick the Bills made. There's no guarantee ANY player will be there if they trade down but it shouldn't prevent the Bills from trying to get value from the pick.

The only way this pick makes sense is if they had Whitner rated way higher than anybody else left in the draft and didn't want to risk losing him in a trade down. Otherwise they could have moved down and if Whitner isn't there you draft one of the other guys you have similarly rated.

How do you know the Ravens and Broncos wanted to move up all the way to 8? I love the draft because everyone thinks they know what will happen months in advance then draft day comes and everyone was wrong.

674861[/snapback]

I don't, but at the same time I don't know that Whitner wouldn't have been available at the Bills 2nd pick.

Two the the three QBs were on the board. The two best DTs were still on the board. The Bills were going to take a guy that was rated in the bottom third of the first round, at best.

It's hard to believe that a savvy GM would have been able to engineer some kind of trade out of this situation. Especially since both QBs went in the next 3 picks.

If he plays as well as the Steelers safety or Ed Reed we'll all feel better about this pick. Let's wait a few months and let this and other picks show what they can do on the field before we hang Marv Levy. Yet, I have to admit where the hell did that one come from? :(

T_R

I like the pick... the draft is not just our first round pick you know. There is plenty depth on both d and o lines to get some solid football players in the next 2 rounds.

674905[/snapback]

Excuse me if I don't hold my breath.

Exactly, the Bills drafted a FOOTBALL PLAYER. The kid will start right away, and he'll make plays. He's smart, tough and athletic. He plays every down on D and can play special teams. It doesn't matter as much in the end where they took him, the important thing is that they got someone who will make an instant impact. It's a safe choice, a solid choice, if not a value choice.

The only way this pick makes sense is if they had Whitner rated way higher than anybody else left in the draft and didn't want to risk losing him in a trade down.  Otherwise they could have moved down and if Whitner isn't there you draft one of the other guys you have similarly rated.

674952[/snapback]

well thats clearly the case, you cant tell me he wasnt rated higher than bunkley or ngata or else we wouldnt have taken him, those guys have way too many question marks, whitner is the man.

The only way this makes sense is if the Ravens were gonna take him.  Otherwise, although he's a good player, it's a bad pick at that spot.

674788[/snapback]

The Ravens were targeting Ngata all along. ESPN interviewed him in his home and he was wearing a Ravens cap. That was planned. Of course, other teams could've sent him their gear but that's really unlikely.