Round 1 (#8): Selection: S Donte Whitner

SDS

you may want to actually wait to see him play an nfl game before ridiculing the whitner pick. to those who are lambasting marv, i challenger every one of you to tell me whether you had one smidgen of an iota of a fraction of an opinion one way or another about whitner prior to 1:25 pm east coast time today. as to whether the bills could have traded down and still got him, i challenge any one of you to provide a smidgen of an iota of a fraction of evidence that the team that followed the bills (detroit) didn't want him badly. and i think everyone would agree that the bills prior to today did not have an nfl-caliber strong safety.

by the way, here's what dr. z said about him:

No. 24 BENGALS: This guy will go higher because everybody's asking about him and everyone I talk to likes his game, which is aggressive and athletic. DONTE WHITNER, SS, OHIO STATE.

I haven't seen one projection--not one--saying he was a first round prospect. At#8, the Bills clearly could have traded down.

Bunkley still on the board at 12. Ngata too. Yeesh.

674739[/snapback]

Ngata just went. Bunkley still on the board. Perhaps some fortune teller has predicted to Marv that he'll fall to the Bills in the second round.

Do you remember that Marv said that he thought that the player they liked would be available later in the first round.

He was right.

What a reach. It reminds me of when the Dolphins picked Eric Kumerow.

I hate it when teams reach.

As I said in another post, it is like buying a $50 stock for $100.

you may want to actually wait to see him play an nfl game before ridiculing the whitner pick. to those who are lambasting marv, i challenger every one of you to tell me whether you had one smidgen of an iota of a fraction of an opinion one way or another about whitner prior to 1:25 pm east coast time today. as to whether the bills could have traded down and still got him, i challenge any one of you to provide a smidgen of an iota of a fraction of evidence that the team that followed the bills (detroit) didn't want him badly.  and i think everyone would agree that the bills prior to today did not have an nfl-caliber strong safety.

by the way, here's what dr. z said about him:

No. 24 BENGALS: This guy will go higher because everybody's asking about him and everyone I talk to likes his game, which is aggressive and athletic. DONTE WHITNER, SS, OHIO STATE.

674781[/snapback]

GRADE F Freaking clueless! He's a top 50 pick not a top 8 pick!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was surprised at the pick and I agree that we probably could have moved back and still picked Whitner.

Or, maybe not. Someone here mentioned that Detroit (who was hot for Huff) may have taken Whitner at 9, if the Bills moved back to 11 (StL) or even 15 (Den).

Plus, we don't know what was offered to the Bills (if anything was, from the previously mentioned suitors). Seems that Denver only gave up a third to move up four slots. Not a whole lot, IMO (especially if the Bills lost out on Whitner by doing so).

I will say this..............Marv and Co. seem to have liked Whitner all along, and if they valued him that highly, then you take him when you get the chance (even at 8).

It is not like Whitner carried a third round grade, either. He was the top rated safety on the board (since Huff is being spoken about as a potential cornerback) and he was listed as the 17th best player on "mighty Mel's list", for example. Whitner was a rising player, much like Bunkley.

I think we fans fall prey to the media's take on things............truth is, this board is shocked because we didn't draft who the "experts" thought we should.

None of us know how Whitner will work out, right now. He fills a need (since we cut Milloy and none of us want to see Coy Wire starting) and we still have a high second round pick to address DT (which is very deep in this draft), along with two thirds to address OT and depth.

I am currently a little surprised, but I am also willing to give Marv and Modrak the benefit of the doubt (over a bunch of overpaid talking heads who also get a lot of picks wrong).

There is a lot of the draft left to fill our needs. :(

Mike

First, I'd like to discuss who was available at the time. I dont feel comfortable with Bunkley or Ngata. I feel that Justice is a huge gamble and i would not want to grab him with #8 money.

What i wanted the Bills to do was trade down. I felt that one of the DT's being taken by us was the wrong pick. The only problem with trading down was the players available. The Eagles and Broncos were said to be the 2 teams interested in trading with us. I also did not feel comfortable with any of the players that were supposed to be available around those picks either even though we would be picking up another pick. Maybe Whitner would be there, maybe he wouldnt, but as I've said before, if you like a player draft him, dont take a chance on him being there when you trade down.

If you think the Bills didnt want to trade down and pick up Whitner your nuts. They were clearly on the phone but something wasnt right. Who knows what it was, BUT, if the Bills could have moved down they would have.

As many of you know, i was an advocate of taking Michael Huff with our pick. I think that Matt Bowen and Coy Wire suck, Troy Vincent is like 100 years old, and we have no depth behind these players.

Now the player. Coming straight from thehuddlereport.com the writeup on Whitner says, "Donte is one of the better tacklers in this draft.  He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler.  He has really good speed, size and shows an excellent burst to the ball.  He has good hands to go for the interception and shows impressive overall instincts for his position." The even more impressive thing i found in there was, "If you want a safety set to go for a two-deep zone coverage defense, don’t think twice about drafting Donte.  That is the system that he can handle right away and impact for you."

Bottom line: we needed a player like this on our defense, we should have traded down and we tried but it obviously wasnt a good situation. I dont care that we took him with the number 8 pick because the only difference between taking him then or later is money, and obviously the Bills feel comfortable enough paying him. One of the other choices at this spot would not have been good. Thank God matt bowen or coy wire doesnt have to start.

674750[/snapback]

Excellent post.Much too logical for this board .

First, I'd like to discuss who was available at the time. I dont feel comfortable with Bunkley or Ngata. I feel that Justice is a huge gamble and i would not want to grab him with #8 money.

What i wanted the Bills to do was trade down. I felt that one of the DT's being taken by us was the wrong pick. The only problem with trading down was the players available. The Eagles and Broncos were said to be the 2 teams interested in trading with us. I also did not feel comfortable with any of the players that were supposed to be available around those picks either even though we would be picking up another pick. Maybe Whitner would be there, maybe he wouldnt, but as I've said before, if you like a player draft him, dont take a chance on him being there when you trade down.

If you think the Bills didnt want to trade down and pick up Whitner your nuts. They were clearly on the phone but something wasnt right. Who knows what it was, BUT, if the Bills could have moved down they would have.

As many of you know, i was an advocate of taking Michael Huff with our pick. I think that Matt Bowen and Coy Wire suck, Troy Vincent is like 100 years old, and we have no depth behind these players.

Now the player. Coming straight from thehuddlereport.com the writeup on Whitner says, "Donte is one of the better tacklers in this draft.  He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler.  He has really good speed, size and shows an excellent burst to the ball.  He has good hands to go for the interception and shows impressive overall instincts for his position." The even more impressive thing i found in there was, "If you want a safety set to go for a two-deep zone coverage defense, don’t think twice about drafting Donte.  That is the system that he can handle right away and impact for you."

Bottom line: we needed a player like this on our defense, we should have traded down and we tried but it obviously wasnt a good situation. I dont care that we took him with the number 8 pick because the only difference between taking him then or later is money, and obviously the Bills feel comfortable enough paying him. One of the other choices at this spot would not have been good. Thank God matt bowen or coy wire doesnt have to start.

674750[/snapback]

You not feeling comfortable, soothes the rest of us dramatically, try learning about how many plays this guy will impact versus a DT. Even saying we trade down, we could have gotten a great CB, OT.....

Wow...some no-name at a magazine no one reads picked him #24, so he obviously belonged at #8. 

Stop trying to defend the indefensible.  It only makes you look ignorant.

674798[/snapback]

riiiiiiiiiiiight. why wasn't worth a #8? because the draft guides said so? do you a real opinion of whitner that not's based on media commentary?

I like everything I hear about him. I just wonder if he would have been there when Denver picked. Another 3rd rounder would have been nice.

Ngata and Bunkley both came with question marks. Leinart, I like, but I'm not convinced he could throw in the Buffalo winds.

What the Bills got was a guy who can play right now, and can play his position for years, and you know what: that's what they need.