Mort is reporting

MDH

nothing - it's a good move on all accounts.

552392[/snapback]

that is as an asinine statement as they come.

I know it is SUCH a wacky idea that only extremists would entertain that an 80+ year old man who has been out of the game for 10 years may not be desirable.

Only a fool would dimiss that as a concern on behalf of BillsNation.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it is SUCH a wacky idea that only extremists would entertain that an 80+ year old man who has been out of the game for 10 years may not be desirable.

552464[/snapback]

You my friend are the fool.

Joe Gibbs aint doing to bad eh?

We all know you dislike Marv for some reason. I mean is he your Grandpa or something. Did he disown you as a child.

We all know you dislike Marv for some reason. I mean is he your Grandpa or something. Did he disown you as a child.

552484[/snapback]

Gibbs sells tickets... Greggo is doing all of the heavy lifting.

Gibbs sells tickets... Greggo is doing all of the heavy lifting.

552496[/snapback]

No actually Gibbs did one heck of a job to adusting to his team this year. Including the shotgun is one of them. Greggo is doing nothing but running that defense.

Gibbs has done wonders with that past wreck of a team.

552484[/snapback]

Joe Gibbs is about 15 years younger you mullet...

Joe Gibbs is about 15 years younger you mullet...

552516[/snapback]

Mullet?

Actually I have a fade but thats cool.

It just pisses me off that you always have to rag on Marv. What gives?

If he ends up being the director of operations whats not to like. That position will use his strengths. Modrak is still going to be here helping wtih the draft. YOu guys act like Marv is running his own show or will be.

I like Marv and I believe his cerebral approach will help matters with the team. Marv is too smart to put himself in a place that he can't handle. Modrak did assemble some decent talent in Philly, so I don't have a problem with him handling personell.

Here are some questions posted to Chris Mortensen this morning on ESPN:

Brandon (Buffalo)

Would the Bills be better off starting fresh by firing Mularkey and replace him with one of the recently fired head coaches with more experience? Donahoe is only part of the problem...

CHRIS MORTENSEN

I didn't think Donohoe was any of the problem and I think Mularkey should only be removed if there is a strong philosophcal difference. If I were a Bills fan, I'd be alarmed by the developments. I really would.

Jeff (Flint, MI)

Don't you think that Donahoe was at least part of the problem in Buffalo? He took a lot of needless risks on draft day, such as McGahee and Loseman, and let valuable players leave that could have helped them win now, such as Bledsoe and Pat Williams. I'm not saying that I could do any better, but what positives did he bring during his tenure in Buffalo?

CHRIS MORTENSEN

Again, I don't have the time to cover all of it. But Donohoe cleaned up a huge salary cap mess he inherited. He also inherited a terrible QB problem...and Bledsoe was the right bridge until they drafted a young guy. The Bills - and Ralph Wilson concurred - saw Bledsoe has a QB capable of being a 9-7 = now I hear Parcells is concerned about the same thing. Losman has the talent but the Bills counted on their No. 2 ranked defense to help them through. Pat Williams was a financial decision - they offered him a lot of money. He wangted more. They had key injuries on defense. I said this before - sometimes it just ain't your year. By the way, the McGahee pick turned out to be a pretty good one.

Why is everyone $hiting on Marv?

I personally like the idea of him playing a role in this teams future.  It can't get much worse than 5 years of nothing.

552548[/snapback]

Because they have to crap on someone I guess. I know its stupid.

Marv maybe the best person besides Ralph that the Bills franchise has every known. Why not have Marv over see everything and tell it to Ralph in Detroit with no spin. I think thats what pissed Ralph off. TD sugar coated some thing to him IMO.

Why is everyone $hiting on Marv?

I personally like the idea of him playing a role in this teams future.  It can't get much worse than 5 years of nothing.

552548[/snapback]

"everyone" isn't, but some of us think he was already past his prime when he resigned 10 years ago, and see no reason to think he can realisitically turn this team into contenders as either coach or GM.

"everyone" isn't, but some of us think he was already past his prime when he resigned 10 years ago, and see no reason to think he can realisitically turn this team into contenders as either coach or GM.

552629[/snapback]

Meet Ralph, Marv and Modrak. Three simple, aging senior citizens who like to swim in an unguarded swimming pool next door from the old folks home they live in. So one day when they go swimming, they feel energized and "ready to take on the world!" What they don't know is that the pool was recently bought by four alien Antereans incognito as humans. Ralph, Marv, Modrak and their friends soon discover this and offer to help the Antereans return the cocoons back to Antarea and as a reward, they offer something magnificent...a football team in western NY.

With apologies to Ron Howard

552629[/snapback]

Maybe...but how long was Dick Vermiel out of coaching when he won the Super Bowl with St. Louis?

PTR

Meet Ralph, Marv and Modrak. Three simple, aging senior citizens who like to swim in an unguarded swimming pool next door from the old folks home they live in. So one day when they go swimming, they feel energized and "ready to take on the world!" What they don't know is that the pool was recently bought by four alien Antereans incognito as humans. Ralph, Marv, Modrak and their friends soon discover this and offer to help the Antereans return the cocoons back to Antarea and as a reward, they offer something magnificent...a football team in western NY.

552632[/snapback]

Are you hoping to die young? :D

552632[/snapback]

:D:lol:

Does that make MM = Steve Guttenberg

552464[/snapback]

whatever. try to be a little cooler about the insults. seriously.

by the way, i never dismissed it as a concern. i just happen to think personally that it's a good move. if others feel differently, fine. i have no beef with them.

552632[/snapback]

Perhaps you could channel some of that literary inspiration towards creating a new blog entry!

Past his prime or burnt out? I saw a guy who was a bit burnt out and needed to recharge.

Bringing Marv back in an administrative capacity is the best idea this franchise has had in a long time. We HAD an excellent tradition, built in part by Marv. TD and Greggo come in like they invented football, with their arrogance and the sh------- way they treated people. Remember Steve Christie..."This wouldn't have happened under Marv Levy." We need to restore some order and class to our organization. Embrace our own tradition, not Tennesse's or Pittsburgh's. Marv can help restore that. Emphasize souting, player development, treating players like men, while holding them accountable for their actions.

Lets let a HOF coach evaluate whether or not MM is capable of leading this team. Lets let a man of character and integrity lead our franchise. Not a guy who's most memorable lines are not offbeat quotes from Winston CHurchill or WWII stories applicable to everyday life, but "Save the postage," "I'm embrassed to be a part of this community," and "I don't need to deal with jerks like you."

Not a guy who's most memorable lines are not offbeat quotes from Winston CHurchill or WWII stories applicable to everyday life, but "Save the postage," "I'm embrassed to be a part of this community," and "I don't need to deal with jerks like you."

552704[/snapback]

Or.... "if you don't like it, get out of town!" :D

What Bills management really wants to say now is.....

Will you please buy season tickets? We are bringing back Levy for crying out loud!!!!

552645[/snapback]

Call me crazy, but I think season ticket sales have been quite good for the Bills.

What is the obsession with age? Being older does not mean that you can't do the job.

Warren Buffet is 76 and makes billions. Jack McKeon is also 76 and won a World Series only a couple years back. Marv is 77 (born in 1928). I don't think that fact alone should disqualify him from any discussions. Anyone?

Dear God.

It's like the Lawrence Welk happy hour at OBD. WHERE'S MY PRUNE JUICE DAMNIT!

552008[/snapback]

JoePA drank it early this morning after Penn State beat FSU .... damn, while the Bills are hiring senior citizens might as well bring in the Peancy Paterno one to run the team as head coach.

Ralph = da owner

Marv = da prez

JoePa = da coach

552632[/snapback]

That was Randolph Central Highschool's Cardinals. They were State Champions this year with an undefeated record, and dominated each and every opponent.

Thank you aliens! Go to Hell Donahoe!

One thing people may be overlooking is.....with Levy in the head office, what better mentor for Mularkey (if he stays) to learn to become less hands on and a more effective delegator. He will be learning from the best.

552047[/snapback]

Mularkey has had lots of time to learn...as a player, co-ordinator and coach. I suspect that what he needs can't be taught. But, if we are stuck with him I can always hope he changes greatly in the next year.

wade phillips wasn't so bad. either was dehaven. bresnahan was a great offensive line coach (not so great an offensive coordinator, but a lot of that was kelly).  of course there's marchibroda too.

i know i'm pretty much alone on this, but i'm also a big fan of dan henning, who didn't get a fair shake here because of the dearth of talent (he was here for only one year).  he's proven to be quite able since he left the bills.

552160[/snapback]

and then there's Walt Corey at DC who was the singel biggest reason the Bills never won the big dance.

Dear God.

It's like the Lawrence Welk happy hour at OBD. WHERE'S MY PRUNE JUICE DAMNIT!

552008[/snapback]

Yeah, I can picture the two of them (the Sunshine Boys), Marv and Ralph, spinning in their chairs, sipping prune juice, and listenting to Bill Cosby on vinyl LP record albums! :)

Marv is so old no one knows how old he is.  80, 81, 77?

553531[/snapback]

He is not 77. People are cinfused because they are still under the lie that MArv was 59 when he started with the Bills when he was actually 62. So, he is in 80's... 80, 81, 82 - like it matters.

Cut his leg off and count the rings.

He is not 77.  People are cinfused because they are still under the lie that MArv was 59 when he started with the Bills when he was actually 62.  So, he is in 80's... 80, 81, 82 - like it matters.

Cut his leg off and count the rings.

553561[/snapback]

Super Bowl rings?

:)

What are you? 60?

Football is a young man's game whether you like it or not.

552023[/snapback]

Yep, its a young mans game- thats why Gibbs, Coughlin, Bellicheck, and Vermeil were considered some of the top coaches...why Houston brought Reeves in, why we're talking to Levy.

Age doesn't mean squat.

Oh you must mean that guys like Vermeil and Levy shouldn't be playing football- that I can agree with, and is the only way to make sense of that comment

Past his prime or burnt out?  I saw a guy who was a bit burnt out and needed to recharge. 

Bringing Marv back in an administrative capacity is the best idea this franchise has had in a long time.  We HAD an excellent tradition, built in part by Marv.  TD and Greggo come in like they invented football, with their arrogance and the sh------- way they treated people.  Remember Steve Christie..."This wouldn't have happened under Marv Levy."  We need to restore some order and class to our organization.  Embrace our own tradition, not Tennesse's or Pittsburgh's.  Marv can help restore that.  Emphasize souting, player development, treating players like men, while holding them accountable for their actions.

Lets let a HOF coach evaluate whether or not MM is capable of leading this team.  Lets let a man of character and integrity lead our franchise.  Not a guy who's most memorable lines are not offbeat quotes from Winston CHurchill or WWII stories applicable to everyday life, but "Save the postage," "I'm embrassed to be a part of this community," and "I don't need to deal with jerks like you."

552704[/snapback]

I think you've hit on it exactly. One of the biggest problems with the Bills over the last 5 years has been with the front office. Marv may be alot of things; he may also not be alot of things. But one thing I think he does almost immediately is address the problems in the front office. He'll definitely bring back order and class to the organization while keeping the team focused in the right direction. And that is what we've been missing more than any player over the last several years.

I also suspect Marv will weigh in heavily on a whole host of personnel decisions, including if not especially MM; which would certainly explain the hestitation to say anything defininitive aboiut any of the coaches. This is exactly what we needed. Someone who's intelligent, a good evaluator of what the team needs, and a man that very people can ignore or discredit.