Sullivan Article

bills_fan

I usually dislike Sully's articles, believing them to be way over the top and generally a hatchet job. But, today's Sully article simply points out the facts, and they are not good. It was right on the money and at some point this offseason TD is going to have to address his failures with respect to the OL and the lack of playoff appearances.

I usually dislike Sully's articles, believing them to be way over the top and generally a hatchet job.  But, today's Sully article simply points out the facts, and they are not good.  It was right on the money and at some point this offseason TD is going to have to address his failures with respect to the OL and the lack of playoff appearances.

515364[/snapback]

Yeah, only fans are justified in going over the top and giving the Bills the "hatchet job"...the sports editorial writer for the local newspaper has no such right! :rolleyes:

Basically, all the negative vile that Sullivan spews toward the Bills, is the same things that the fans are saying...we just don't like to see it in print, because that somehow legitimizes our worst fears, that our team does truly suck!

I usually dislike Sully's articles, believing them to be way over the top and generally a hatchet job.  But, today's Sully article simply points out the facts, and they are not good.  It was right on the money and at some point this offseason TD is going to have to address his failures with respect to the OL and the lack of playoff appearances.

515364[/snapback]

Jerry Sullivan sounded like a nagging mother-in-law in that article. The Bills are a joke...nag nag nag. We have no offensive line nag nag nag. We're tired of losing...nag nag nag. I told you that they'd never amount to anything...nag nag nag.

Yes Donahoe screwed up the offensive line, but a lot of this season's woes can be blamed on going with a green QB and the loss of a huge defensive leader in Spikes. Well Sullivan said he supported removing Bledsoe and TD can't do anything about injuries unless he's god.

As a beat reporter he really should hedge his bets a bit and wait till the season's over before making such foolish statements. If Losman looks like a real player and team leader by season's end then exactly how stupid does TD look then? Many sane fans had accepted that there would be growing pains with Losman, well there were and our season ended up being lost so that we could get the kid experience. Sullivan's can pout and hold his breath till the cows come home, but this team still has five games left.

The more I think about a massive turnover at OBD the more I don't like the idea. To me, a staff turnover means a guaranteed bad 2006 season for the Bills. I now want to see once and forall what TD and MM do now that the QB situation has been solved. Luckily it appears we have a lot of good young players who can really play. Though he has some major faults, I think TD had something to do with them being here.

Jerry Sullivan sounded like a nagging mother-in-law in that article. The Bills are a joke...nag nag nag. We have no offensive line nag nag nag. We're tired of losing...nag nag nag. I told you that they'd never amount to anything...nag nag nag.

Yes Donahoe screwed up the offensive line, but a lot of this season's woes can be blamed on going with a green QB and the loss of a huge defensive leader in Spikes. Well Sullivan said he supported removing Bledsoe and TD can't do anything about injuries unless he's god.

As a beat reporter he really should hedge his bets a bit and wait till the season's over before making such foolish statements. If Losman looks like a real player and team leader by season's end then exactly how stupid does TD look then? Many sane fans had accepted that there would be growing pains with Losman, well there were and our season ended up being lost so that we could get the kid experience. Sullivan's can pout and hold his breath till the cows come home, but this team still has five games left.

The more I think about a massive turnover at OBD the more I don't like the idea. To me, a staff turnover means a guaranteed bad 2006 season for the Bills. I now want to see once and forall what TD and MM do now that the QB situation has been solved. Luckily it appears we have a lot of good young players who can really play. Though he has some major faults, I think TD had something to do with them being here.

515501[/snapback]

Thank You! Our record is crap right now but I also do not think we are as bad as some make us out to be. We have a young core, we have had some major injury's (I know, every team does..but Spikes was HUGE for us) and have a young QB getting better each week. I think we upgrade the lines a little and we can be a contender.

Also, we have been in the division that has had a 3 time super bowl champ the past 4 years as well.

Finally, Sullivan has a right to write whatever he wants and I have a right to ignore him. PERSONALLY, HE SEEMS JUST TO GLEEFUL TO WRITE THESE ARTICLES.

515501[/snapback]

Sullivan, I believe, is not a "beat reporter", but the sports editor. He is paid to write opinions, not necessarily facts...correct me if I am wrong about this, I am sure somebody will...

Thank You! Our record is crap right now but I also do not think we are as bad as some make us out to be. We have a young core, we have had some major injury's (I know, every team does..but Spikes was HUGE for us) and have a young QB getting better each week. I think we upgrade the lines a little and we can be a contender.

Also, we have been in the division that has had a 3 time super bowl champ the past 4 years as well.

Finally, Sullivan has a right to write whatever he wants and I have a right to ignore him. PERSONALLY, HE SEEMS JUST TO GLEEFUL TO WRITE THESE ARTICLES.

515524[/snapback]

we also have a sizable core of underachievers with no one on the horizon worthy of replacing them. 5 years into donohoe's tenure, that IS a JOKE.

515501[/snapback]

Yeah TB did so badly when they changed things up a couple years back. I'll take a Super Bowl win next year. :rolleyes:

Sullivan, I believe, is not a "beat reporter", but the sports editor. He is paid to write opinions, not necessarily facts...correct me if I am wrong about this, I am sure somebody will...

515538[/snapback]

You are correct. Sully is a columnist, not a beat reporter. His is an opinion column...period. Why he insists on writing about a sport he clearly is not comfortable with, is beyond me.

Yeah TB did so badly when they changed things up a couple years back.  I'll take a Super Bowl win next year.  :rolleyes:

515546[/snapback]

If you're saying we can dump Malarkey for Gruden then I'm on board for that move. Unfortunately I don't think Gruden will be leaving Tampa for Buffalo.

515501[/snapback]

Let's keep TD and MM. What a pair! They can guarantee 7 - 9 seasons for as far as the eye can see. If woeful mediocrity is all Ralph wants, he's set for life. Why did MM get a 5 year contract? Because TD knew it would take him that long to learn the job. Buffalo Bills: trainers of coaches until they can find a real job elsewhere.

Basically, all the negative vile that Sullivan spews toward the Bills, is the same things that the fans are saying...we just don't like to see it in print, because that somehow legitimizes our worst fears, that our team does truly suck!

515482[/snapback]

It's not that I disagree with the premise of what Sullivan is saying. The thing that gets me is that every single article is about Tom Donahoe and how he sucks and how he needs to leave. Sullivan never writes about anything else. It gets tiresome after awhile. How about talking about Losman and how he looks? Or about Crowell and how he’s filling in for Spikes? Or how about the job MM is doing…or Gray…or Clements? How about writing a few articles that don’t have the basic theme, “TD needs to go!”?

515501[/snapback]

"The sun'll come out

Tomorrow.

So ya gotta hang on

'Til tomorrow,

Come what may.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

I love ya Tomorrow!

You're always,

A day,

Away! "

:rolleyes:

"The sun'll come out

Tomorrow.

So ya gotta hang on

'Til tomorrow,

Come what may.

Tomorrow! Tomorrow!

I love ya Tomorrow!

You're always,

A day,

Away! "

:rolleyes:

515573[/snapback]

Fine, go and listen to your nagging mother-in-law then. After all, she does know best (especially after the fact). :unsure:

It's not that I disagree with the premise of what Sullivan is saying.  The thing that gets me is that every single article is about Tom Donahoe and how he sucks and how he needs to leave.  Sullivan never writes about anything else.  It gets tiresome after awhile.  How about talking about Losman and how he looks?  Or about Crowell and how he’s filling in for Spikes?  Or how about the job MM is doing…or Gray…or Clements?  How about writing a few articles that don’t have the basic theme, “TD needs to go!”?

515572[/snapback]

Just look at this board, as the losses pile up...there are far more posts about how TD fugged up, and how much MM sucks! I rarely see any fans spending much time talking about what a good player Crowell has turned into. If posts like that are started, they are usually sabatoged by "TD sucks" kind of stuff....Sullivan writes about the things that are "hot issues" with Buffalo area sports fans...the beat reporters are the ones who write the fluff pieces...it is just the nature of his job. If most of the material he has to write about is negative, his columns are going to be negative....everyone complains when he writes about the NBA! The Buffalo Bills are still the biggest game in town...and they are not doing so hot, if you hadn't noticed! :rolleyes:

Just look at this board, as the losses pile up...there are far more posts about how TD fugged up, and how much MM sucks!  I rarely see any fans spending much time talking about what a good player Crowell has turned into.  If posts like that are started, they are usually sabatoged by "TD sucks" kind of stuff....Sullivan writes about the things that are "hot issues" with Buffalo area sports fans...the beat reporters are the ones who write the fluff pieces...it is just the nature of his job.  If most of the material he has to write about is negative, his columns are going to be negative....everyone complains when he writes about the NBA!  The Buffalo Bills are still the biggest game in town...and they are not doing so hot, if you hadn't noticed! :rolleyes:

515611[/snapback]

That's because Crowell sucks. One INT, and a couple tackles doesn't make him a good player.

TD has had some bad luck. He tried to prepare for the loss of Pat Williams by betting on Ron Edwards coming to play (he's out for the year) and drafting Tim Anderson. Also, Fat Sam has not played up to his abilities. But the key was losing Spikes. The defense was great last year, and now it's a joke.

San Fran paid top dollar for Jonas, and there is no way the Bills could afford to keep him. He thought he addressed the line, and Williams came up lame, and played poorly. Bennie Anderson can't pass block. Parrish missed a lot of games, Everett out for the year.

I know injuries are part of the game, but what happened all but eliminated the first 3 rounds of this year's draft.

People trash TD for picking Williams, but at the time that looked like a great pick. I personally was against the pick, because I thought they should've traded down....way down....and gotten a few picks for it. At the time, one tackle wasn't going to make that big a difference.

Teams that are perennial winners, like the Bills used to be, benefit from picking at the end of the first round. They don't have to pay 10 million dollar bonuses for unproven guys, and you can still get great talent at the end of the round. Look at some of our guys. Henry Jones, John Fina, to name a couple....at the end of the first. Even JP Losman, at #23, and Willis, late first round, moderate signing bonuses and contracts.

As a beat reporter...

515501[/snapback]

Sully's a columnist, not a beat reporter. He'll tell you that every chance he gets, like it elevates him to demigod status. :rolleyes:

I guess it does actually--he don't have to be factual or even right most of the time...just stir the pot to collect all those quarters for Warren Buffet.

Just look at this board, as the losses pile up...there are far more posts about how TD fugged up, and how much MM sucks!  I rarely see any fans spending much time talking about what a good player Crowell has turned into.  If posts like that are started, they are usually sabatoged by "TD sucks" kind of stuff....Sullivan writes about the things that are "hot issues" with Buffalo area sports fans...the beat reporters are the ones who write the fluff pieces...it is just the nature of his job.  If most of the material he has to write about is negative, his columns are going to be negative....everyone complains when he writes about the NBA!  The Buffalo Bills are still the biggest game in town...and they are not doing so hot, if you hadn't noticed! :rolleyes:

515611[/snapback]

there's even more to it than that. beat reporters who are too harsh see their sources dry up. that doesn't happen with sullivan, who doesn't rely on them. there are, however, guys who do both -- ron borges of the globe, and national guys like don banks, len pasquarelli, and hell, even mike florio (who's a lot more widely read than jerry sullivan, by the way). but sullivan is basically lazy as far as i can tell, and has no aspirations to become a better writer by cultivating sources. as far as i can tell, he has none -- all of his pieces are more or less informed broadsides. to cultivate sources, his critiques and editorials would have to be more nuanced and measured, which he seems constitutionally incapable of. and of course, that speaks poorly of him as a newspaper writer.

So which is it:  Does Sully blow whichever way the wind does?  Or just blow?

(Glad we need the media to validate our opinions, BTW...)

515622[/snapback]

You completely missed my point, or perhaps I didn't make it well enough! We (meaning Bills/sports fans) can draw irrational opinions about our favorite team when it is not doing well, we all call Sully a douche bag on regular basis, because he is too negative (which seems to be everyone's major complaint about him). It strikes me that a lot of fans are looking to him to somehow assure them that the team isn't as bad as they are thinking it is. When he doesn't, and agrees with the masses that things are as awful as they look, we kill the messenger....

You completely missed my point, or perhaps I didn't make it well enough!  We (meaning Bills/sports fans) can draw irrational opinions about our favorite team when it is not doing well, we all call Sully a douche bag on regular basis, because he is too negative (which seems to be everyone's major complaint about him).  It strikes me that a lot of fans are looking to him to somehow assure them that the team isn't as bad as they are thinking it is.  When he doesn't, and agrees with the masses that things are as awful as they look, we kill the messenger....

515777[/snapback]

Well, Sully (and many columnists) and most talk radio feed off of the lowest level (read: stupid) thought that is behind most of the discussion on this and most other discussion forums (sports or otherwise). Face it, most people shouldn't share their poorly formed thoughts in public. (Of course they have a RIGHT to...I ain't arguing otherwise.) Instead of raising the level of discourse, Sully chooses to jump in the banal slop of knee-jerk negativism.

The problem as I see it is Sullivan's near total lack of football knowledge. He doesn't know what makes sense when it comes to football. Jerry is a basketball writer stuck in a town w/o an NBA team. He has to write about a local team in a sport which is is terrible uncomfortable discussing. He is unequipped to raise the level of discourse. He is reliant on the crap on WGR and the bulls#it hooey no-nothings discuss at the bar.

we also have a sizable core of underachievers with no one on the horizon worthy of replacing them.  5 years into donohoe's tenure, that IS a JOKE.

515540[/snapback]

What we have is a bunch of self-out-smarting coaches who can't get these

underachieving players to focus and concentrate and get the job done.

It gets tiresome after awhile.  How about talking about Losman and how he looks?  Or about Crowell and how he’s filling in for Spikes?  Or how about the job MM is doing…or Gray…or Clements?  How about writing a few articles that don’t have the basic theme, “TD needs to go!”?

515572[/snapback]

Because those don't sell his papers...

515364[/snapback]

TD may have to address his failures, but this is not a new phenomena by any means. The OL problem has existed for years and all TD has done is look for band aids. Perhaps the message re the OL will finally get thru after this debacle. But what about all the other messages TD needs to address, as well?

My, and so many other's, faith in TD is shot. Can Ralph commitment be very far behind? I certainly hope not. .

When he doesn't, and agrees with the masses that things are as awful as they look, we kill the messenger....

515777[/snapback]

Nah, I disagree. There are plenty of TSW regulars who eloquently lay out their arguments for why the Bills are underachieving, yet do so without going "nah, nah, da nah nah....the Bills suck!" which is generally how Sully writes.

We slag Jerry due to his lack of talent/insight/value, not 'cause he's the messenger. :doh:

Being a sports columnist is one of the best jobs in the world. Write what you feel like, never worry about facts or being wrong, contradict yourself, and be smug and self-righteous holding everyone else in the world to a standard that you yourself could never meet.

PTR

Teams that are perennial winners, like the Bills used to be, benefit from picking at the end of the first round.  They don't have to pay 10 million dollar bonuses for unproven guys, and you can still get great talent at the end of the round.  Look at some of our guys.  Henry Jones, John Fina, to name a couple....at the end of the first.  Even JP Losman, at #23, and Willis, late first round, moderate signing bonuses and contracts.

515614[/snapback]

John Fina? Whoa there my friend.

You were doing well until the JF reference. He was a turnstile.

Ouch:

"Five years and the O-line is still a mess. Five years and the defensive line can't stop the run. Five years, and Donahoe has turned a proud Bills franchise into the AFC's version of Arizona".

An offensive line that would help produce some points and take the pressure off of the defense by making the time of possession a little more in the Bills favor would certainly be helpful.

Nah, I disagree.  There are plenty of TSW regulars who eloquently lay out their arguments for why the Bills are underachieving, yet do so without going "nah, nah, da nah nah....the Bills suck!" which is generally how Sully writes. 

We slag Jerry due to his lack of talent/insight/value, not 'cause he's the messenger.  :D

515970[/snapback]

Yup.

John Fina?  Whoa there my friend.

You were doing well until the JF reference.  He was a turnstile.

516488[/snapback]

I remember a few years back, when Fina was still on the team, he had a morning show on 103.3 The Edge here in Buffalo. He would call in and talk to Shredd and Regan on their morning show, and take some call-in questions from the listeners. I was listening one Monday, after a particularly bad game for Fina the day before, and a caller called in. The exchange was as follows:

Shredd: "Okay, let's go to Rick in Williamsville."

Rick: "Hey guys, good morning. I just had a question for John. Hey John, do you have any windburn on your face today?"

Fina: "I don't understand the question."

Rick: "Well, just seeing the way (insert defensive end name here) was blowing by you yesterday, I figured you might have some windburn."

Fina (to Shredd and Regan): "You know what guys, I don't need this. I am sore, and I wake up early to call in and do this show, and I really don't need this. Goodbye." He hung up.

:D:D

Shredd and Regan didn't really know what to do. It seemed like they wanted to burst out laughing, but had to remain polite and professional. I believe the John Fina Show continued the next week as scheduled, but that call had me dying as I listened in my car.

You completely missed my point, or perhaps I didn't make it well enough!  We (meaning Bills/sports fans) can draw irrational opinions about our favorite team when it is not doing well, we all call Sully a douche bag on regular basis, because he is too negative (which seems to be everyone's major complaint about him).  It strikes me that a lot of fans are looking to him to somehow assure them that the team isn't as bad as they are thinking it is.  When he doesn't, and agrees with the masses that things are as awful as they look, we kill the messenger....

515777[/snapback]

Difference is that we Pay Money to get the sully scope. He is a pro, and we should get pro quality from him. No one has ever called him out for insightful opinions.

If I want dumb-a$$ opinions I can get them here! Which is why I'd rather pay for high-speed from Adelphia, than a subscription to the news. Not that the DA opinions are cheaper here, just that you get more of them for your buck. And sully doesn;t have a clever siggie or avatar either.

:D

Difference is that we Pay Money to get the sully scope. He is a pro, and we should get pro quality from him. No one has ever called him out for insightful opinions.

If I want dumb-a$$ opinions I can get them here! Which is why I'd rather pay for high-speed from Adelphia, than a subscription to the news. Not that the DA opinions are cheaper here, just that you get more of them for your buck. And sully doesn;t have a clever siggie or avatar either.

:D

517257[/snapback]

I dunno, I have been reading Sullivans' columns for years, and never paid a penny! :D

Sullivan and the Buffalo News have accomplished their mission.

There are many, many posts in this thread and others complaining about Sullivan sounding like a nagging mother-in-law; no sources; he's so meeeeean; wah wah wah.

Truth is, more people than not can't wait to see what he'll write next. He's not a columnist because he can't/won't/doesn't want to/ cultivate sources or because he's a basketball writer in a town without a b-ball team :devil: He's a columnist because in the Buffalo market, he has broad readership--that's what sells papers.

He's just pushing buttons. Sells papers, keeps the buzz going. I have seen posts on OBD from supposed fans that are far worse than anything JS produces--and they're poorly conceived and written to boot.

If you want in-depth analysis, hit the NFL Network or Sirius NFL Radio (well, except for Randy Cross, who is a knucklehead). But Sullivan and his editors know that in a football-crazy town like Buffalo, thousands of outraged fans are going to be talking about HIS column the next day.

Do I like his columns? Generally, no. He's a master of overstatement, and I prefer more objective analysis. But he's still employed--and that means that he's getting readers and reactions.