Top 10 Football Cities

Hirly5

On Mike and Mike this morning they gave out the top 10 football cities based on average local TV rating when the hometown team is on.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Green Bay

3. Buffalo

4. Kansas City

5. Indianapolis

6. Philadelphia

7. Denver

8. Cincinatti

9. Tampa Bay

10. Minnesota

Not a big surprise about the top 3. Notice some of the teams that are not on the list but claim to have the biggest fans (Dallas, New England). Granted this is local rating but it still says a lot on which cities love their teams.

On Mike and Mike this morning they gave out the top 10 football cities based on average local TV rating when the hometown team is on.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Green Bay

3. Buffalo

4. Kansas City

5. Indianapolis

6. Philadelphia

7. Denver

8. Cincinatti

9. Tampa Bay

10. Minnesota

Not a big surprise about the top 3.  Notice some of the teams that are not on the list but claim to have the biggest fans (Dallas, New England).  Granted this is local rating but it still says a lot on which cities love their teams.

506354[/snapback]

im surprised buffalo is so high. we dont have that many people in buffalo compared to phili and others.

im surprised buffalo is so high. we dont have that many people in buffalo compared to phili and others.

506358[/snapback]

Population is not a factor. It is the percentage of households that are watching the game in a given market.

506358[/snapback]

Those ratings are just a percentage of people watching the game, not the number of people . There is another number that shows the percentage of TV sets that are turned and have the game on, which is a much higher number. Only basic to think that smaller, cold weather cities have higher proportions of people watching.

Lets be honest here, lot less to do in Buffalo on a Sunday afternoon in Nov, than say Miami Beach

I would say the most surprising thing here is that Cleveland isn't in this list. I would have thought you could have put the Mistake at #3. Tampa and Cincinnati are interesting because the suffered for so long. I guess on Sundays a lot of TVs in DC are examining the tape of the morning political shows.

Does Miami have a team?

I would say the most surprising thing here is that Cleveland isn't in this list.  I would have thought you could have put the Mistake at #3.  Tampa and Cincinnati are interesting because the suffered for so long.  I guess on Sundays a lot of TVs in DC are examining the tape of the morning political shows.

Does Miami have a team?

506366[/snapback]

Lot of sets in DC, NY, atlanta etc are tuned into other games on the ticket, there are so many transplants in those cities.

I would say the most surprising thing here is that Cleveland isn't in this list.  I would have thought you could have put the Mistake at #3.  Tampa and Cincinnati are interesting because the suffered for so long.  I guess on Sundays a lot of TVs in DC are examining the tape of the morning political shows.

Does Miami have a team?

506366[/snapback]

No kidding, Pitt, Green Bay, Buffalo, KC and Cleveland, you would expect to be the top 5.

506358[/snapback]

May be there is nothing else to do in those 4 cities other than watch their

beloved Stillers, Bills, Packers or Chiefs :lol:

Population is not a factor. It is the percentage of households that are watching the game in a given market.

also... based on the TV market, the Bills coverage area and blackout area extends over 225 miles east of Orchard Park (Herkimer) because Syracuse (WTVH) has the only CBS affiliate between Buffalo and Albany (none in Utica). Even though the 75 mi. blackout area line falls somewhere on the southeastern part of Canandaigua Lake (Naples area), everyone as far as Herkimer gets the shaft because it's in WTVH's designated viewing area and considered a part of that 75 mile radius.

the ratings are gathered by household.

i'd suspect that in buff, GB and Pitts more than the usual number of people get together to watch the game, so the per capita ratings are even higher.

in B lo and GB in particular, a large % of the population (compared to other markets) are actually at the game in the first place, so the number of people impacted by the game is damn high

Those ratings are just a percentage of people watching the game, not the number of people . There is another number that shows the percentage of TV sets that are turned and have the game on, which is a much higher number. Only basic to think that smaller, cold weather cities have higher proportions of people watching.

Lets be honest here, lot less to do in Buffalo on a Sunday afternoon in Nov, than say Miami Beach

506364[/snapback]

That has an effect from say November on but I bet Buffalo still ranks in the top 5 during the warm months, especially since the warm months signal the start of football. The Bills just have an obsessed fan base

The top 4 do not surprise. I am surprised that Cleveland is not up there.

506695[/snapback]

Would have to ask BuckeyeMike, but I think both Cleveland and Baltimore face the same issue. Mainly, lots of fans just got so emotionally beaytch slapped when the teams moved, a good number just cannot come to embrace the new team.

506364[/snapback]

A rating is based on the number of households watching a given channel at a given time - it's is an actual number of people watching a show (by actual, they mean a number dervived from a statistical sample).

A share is the percentage of television housholds tuned to a particular channel at a particular time.

Ratings show you how many people are watching, share shows how much of the total audience you captured.

I don't think there's any way Buffalo could do well on a ratings basis - it's simply not a large enough area in terms of population. The rankings must be based on share - showing that football in those locations dominates anything else that is on.

Oddly, this discussion has parallels to the state of the NFL in general. There are towns where football is king and the support (share) is high (Buffalo, Green Bay), but to a large extent the league cares more about how many people are watching (rating). How else can you possibly explain why the league is dying to get a team in L.A. when the community seems generally indifferent to it and teams with good support like Buffalo are often talked about as reloaction candidates?

the ratings are gathered by household.

i'd suspect that in buff, GB and Pitts more than the usual number of people get together to watch the game, so the per capita ratings are even higher.

in B lo and GB in particular, a large % of the population (compared to other markets) are actually at the game in the first place, so the number of people impacted by the game is damn high

506466[/snapback]

Not to mention the local bars. :lol:

A rating is based on the number of households watching a given channel at a given time - it's is an actual number of people watching a show (by actual, they mean a number dervived from a statistical sample).

A share is the percentage of television housholds tuned to a particular channel at a particular time.

Ratings show you how many people are watching, share shows how much of the total audience you captured.

I don't think there's any way Buffalo could do well on a ratings basis - it's simply not a large enough area in terms of population. The rankings must be based on share - showing that football in those locations dominates anything else that is on.

Oddly, this discussion has parallels to the state of the NFL in general. There are towns where football is king and the support  (share) is high (Buffalo, Green Bay), but to a large extent the league cares more about how many people are watching (rating). How else can you possibly explain why the league is dying to get a team in L.A. when the community seems generally indifferent to it and teams with good support like Buffalo are often talked about as reloaction candidates?

506708[/snapback]

I don't have time for this today..l.but it's what I do, so let me straighten all this out for you.

Both ratings and shares are PERCENTAGES. So both can be big or small in any size market.

A HOUSEHOLD RATING is the % of households with TV that are tuned to a particular station/program. So, if 50% of the households in the Buffalo DMA (Designated Market Area) are tuned to the Bills, the HH Rating for the Bills is a 50.

A HOUSEHOLD SHARE is the % of households WATCHING TV that are tuned to a particular station/program (or the RATING divied by the HUT...Households Using Television). So, given the rating above, if 75% of the households with TV are watching ANY TV during the time the Bills are on (HUT = 75), the Bills SHARE would be a 66.666 (OK, 67).

Comprende? Of coourse, given multi-set households, switching between stations and such, it's a little more complicated than that...but those are the basics.

BTW, if my recollection is correct (I drink, ya know)...those top markets outperform the other markets even when the weather is nice.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Green Bay

3. Buffalo

4. Kansas City

5. Indianapolis

6. Philadelphia

7. Denver

8. Cincinatti

9. Tampa Bay

10. Minnesota

Not a big surprise about the top 3.  Notice some of the teams that are not on the list but claim to have the biggest fans (Dallas, New England).  Granted this is local rating but it still says a lot on which cities love their teams.

506354[/snapback]

6-7 small markets-------2 medium markets-----1 large market(but blue collar town)

1. Pittsburgh

2. Green Bay

3. Buffalo

4. Kansas City

5. Indianapolis

6. Philadelphia

7. Denver

8. Cincinatti

9. Tampa Bay

10. Minnesota

506354[/snapback]

I wonder what the numbers are when ya add fan clubs and DTV subscribers

I wonder what the numbers are when ya add fan clubs and DTV subscribers

506766[/snapback]

They have NO impact on local football ratings.

DTV households are included in the local market sample, but as the local game is not on DTV (NFL Package), the impact is ZERO.

As for fan clubs. If they meet at a house (in the local DMA) and that house is in the Nielsen sample they are already included. If they meet in a public establishment like...I dunno...a BAR, they are not included in ANY local or national ratings.

Remeber ratings and shares are PERCENTAGES...not total numbers.

Would have to ask BuckeyeMike, but I think both Cleveland and Baltimore face the same issue. Mainly, lots of fans just got so emotionally beaytch slapped when the teams moved, a good number just cannot come to embrace the new team.

506703[/snapback]

I've heard the Browns' TV ratings locally are still pretty good...I would bet that Cleveland is either 11th or 12th on that list. It's the team's shows (and there are two, on two different stations, and I believe in the same time slot: Monday at 7:00 P.M.) that are suffering in the local ratings.

Nobody wants to watch a replay of a bad football team. :lol:

As far as the Cleveland/Baltimore emotional question is concerned, I think you're right. I've stated on this board many times about not being able to root as hard for my formerly beloved Browns as I once did.

BTW, Dolphins are here in Cleveland tomorrow...so, root for the Brownies. Forecast for tomorrow is 45 degrees and partly cloudy at game time.

GO BILLS!! CRUSH THE CHARGERS!!

Mike

I wonder what the Pats ratings are when a Red Sox game is on against them?  Probably not very high.

PTR

506368[/snapback]

not true at all actually. weei(boston radio) usually has ratings after the games and i cannot recall the last time the sox had a higher rating then the pats when they have been on at the same time.and that includes pats against redsox vs yankee games on at the same time. and it also includes a redsox elimination PLAYOFF game.pats had a higher rating then the sox when they(sox) were down 0-2 to the athletics in a best of 5 playoff series.it was game 3 in fenway,and the pats were playing a regular season game vs the titans at foxboro at the same time. i remember the pats won the ratings battle by quite a bit to on that day. im not that surprised though. watching baseball(even playoff baseball) is about as exciting as watching 2 fat ppl have sex.

10% of 12 million people (LA) trumps 45% of 1.2 million (Buffalo)....

507446[/snapback]

Wow..............where to begin? Socioeconomic analysis is one of the major tasks of my job. That begin said, this discussion won't be clarified on this board. However, there have been some good points made and I wanted to add a couple:

1. Total population is the key factor for the league. Like one posted said, 10% of 12 million is greater and 45% of 1.2. Still, the loyalty in Buffalo, the sales of Bills merch make it highly unlikely this team ever leaves.

2. One thing that always annoys me when people discuss the Buffalo pop is that they use the Erie and Niagara county pops only, making it about 1.2+ million. But when people in the medie us the pop of other areas, they're using a much larger area. If you took into account the square miles they use when talking about NYC, LA or Atlanta na dused it for Buffalo, you'd encompass a much larger area that would include a great deal of Southern Ontario and greater Rochester, making our the actual marketable and game-attending population in excess of 2.5 or 3 million.

3. The media. It sucks in these types of analysis and holes and usually be blown into their discussion. Case in point: This week Scott Burnside did an story on ESPN.com re attendance in southern hockey markets and traditional hockey markets. His whole intent was to show that hockey is strong in the south. He then went on to post average attendance figures for Atl, Nash, and Carolina. All in the 14,000 range. He then used Buffalo, NYI and Pitts average. However, he stupidly used Buffalo with an average af 15,000+ but tried to justify it being on the list by saying the team had an "embarassing announced attendance of 8,200+" for a game against Washington. However, he failed to figure it out or probably more likley just didn't mention it because the game was in ROCHESTER. But to prove his point (and he lives in ATL), he tried to twist data, and he did it poorly.

4. Most importantly, Buffalo draws more with less. And that shows strenght. I forgot the numbers but I crunched them for ATL, Nash and Raleigh-Durham and each of those areas have exploded pop wise since 1990, all with double-digit increases. Buffalo has lost pop, yet we're outdrawing those NHL teams. So, where's the stronger market?

Surprise miss is Cleveland....I wonder what else is there to do....Unless people are watching reruns of their beloved OSU games. I would have also thought Baltimore would have been there...

506406[/snapback]

Everyone in Baltimore is watching in a bar. I went to a "Sports Bar" one time expecting to see a Bills game somewhere. Out of about 50 TV's, 48 were tuned to the Ravens.

506708[/snapback]

Hey! Tony. Don't forget the Southern Tier. The "Buffalo market" actually includes anything west of Binghamton! 0:)