JP so far - at the half.

bobblehead

Bad news: still shaky looking

Good news: getting results on the scoreboard.

413261[/snapback]

Bad news: He's effectively a rookie.

Good news: He's getting better all the time.

I think he sounds like hes doing very well. Its nice to have an option to run if a play breaks down. Also dont forget Moulds only played a series and a half before getting hurt.

JP has done very well tonight. Hes making plays and not turnng the ball over....thats what wins in the NFL...not nice looking stats.

As far as the happy feet I hear that is from his time at Tulane when he played behind a turnstyle offensive line. He has to get used to staying in the pocket people say.

413273[/snapback]

Sadly thats going to be a tough habit to break...Tulane's Offensive Line was described as "high-schoolish" a bunch of times in terms of their ability, so Losman basically was running for his life on 75% of the offensive plays during his years at Tulane. He's got to learn that he doesnt need to do everything by himself now and he can just settle for a dink and dunk pass if its there.

HOWEVER...due to his history of running like a madman, I have heard that his pocket awareness is uncanny. Unlike the last few QBs we've had, he can feel the pressure and escape the pocket, at least giving the team a CHANCE to make something happened. Thats what killed me with Johnson and Bledsoe...if guys started getting close, you knew it was all over. With Losman, he's getting away from the pressure and making stuff happen with his feet...very encouraging.

The tread so far o be he tries to do too much himself early in the game.  He settled down a bit on drives 2-3, just like last week.  He seems more accurate that in earlier appearences...at least 4 drops or he'd be 11 of 14 for the first half.

413274[/snapback]

You can add two throwaways to that... I'm concerned about how far he'll drop back to try to avoid a sack. One almost cost us a safety (though he may have seen the flag). Overall, Captain Kangaroo played better than his QB stats. He'll never be Aaron Brooks with that YPA but part of it is the team seems to be keeping to a fairly short throwing game. Longest "real" pass was the flea flicker...While not all the runs were entirely necessitated by pressure, it could have been due to a combination of pressure, coverage and an opening to run.

4 drives, 17 points. JP helped to keep plays alive with his feet. Made good decisions (safety not included), didn't turn the ball over, and I believe he didn't take any sacks.

Oh btw, this is his second career start. I'd say he's holding his own so far, anyone who disagrees will have a very hard time convincing me otherwise.

4 drives,  17 points.  JP helped to keep plays alive with his feet.  Made good decisions (safety not included),  didn't turn the ball over,  and I believe he didn't take any sacks.

Oh btw,  this is his second career start.  I'd say he's holding his own so far,  anyone who disagrees will have a very hard time convincing me otherwise.

413352[/snapback]

Over at PackerChatters.com, they made a comment that every time the pocket collapsed, Losman squirted out and it was clearly frustrating the Packers starting Defense.

Always good to hear that from other fans.

4 drives,  17 points.  JP helped to keep plays alive with his feet.  Made good decisions (safety not included),  didn't turn the ball over,  and I believe he didn't take any sacks.

Oh btw,  this is his second career start.  I'd say he's holding his own so far,  anyone who disagrees will have a very hard time convincing me otherwise.

413352[/snapback]

agreed. on bills radio van pelt said that numerous throws that resulted in incompletions were thrown "the only place they could be thrown." losman apparently knows where to put the ball so that if his guys don't get it, no one will.

Over at PackerChatters.com, they made a comment that every time the pocket collapsed, Losman squirted out and it was clearly frustrating the Packers starting Defense. 

Always good to hear that from other fans.

413358[/snapback]

If you aren't watching the game, wait until you see his TD run, very nice. He is going to be tough for defense's to contain, in my opinion.

agreed.  on bills radio van pelt said that numerous throws that resulted in incompletions were thrown "the only place they could be thrown."  losman apparently knows where to put the ball so that if his guys don't get it, no one will.

413359[/snapback]

Yep, a lot of his passes were placed similar to the Evans TD from last week. Always to the opposite side of the defender, that way there's no chance of a pick. The dropped TD by Reed was a very nice ball.

JP's rushing TD was GREAT! His scrambling ability in the pocket is going to drastically reduce the number of sacks. On the other hand, he looked brutal on the safety that was negated by a penalty and except for the attempted flea flicker to Reed, did not attempt a pass of more than 10-15 yards or so. Also in the first half he took a helmet to helmet hit on one of his scrambles as he was near the sideline.

This is going to be an exciting season and I look forward to steady improvement throughout the season for JP!

except for the attempted flea flicker to Reed, did not attempt a pass of more than 10-15 yards or so.  Also in the first half he took a helmet to helmet hit on one of his scrambles as he was near the sideline.

This is going to be an exciting season  and I look forward to steady improvement throughout the season for JP!

413407[/snapback]

I have to wait to watch the Packers game from tonight, on tape delay, but Losman really didn't attempt anything long in the Packers scrimmage, or the Colts exhibition. I think it was Marv Levy (or maybe Tasker) who pointed out in the Colts game that the coaches wanted Losman to get as much time in, reading defenses, rather than trying to play catch way down field with his receivers. Pesonally, I think that is a great idea...I think it lessens some of the likelihood of injuries (wr pull their hamstrigs and groins often when trying to "stretch the field"), and their is a tendancy of young strong armed QB's to rely on their arm too much early on, rather than learning the offense (see Michael Vick, Rob Johnson,etc etc...).

While I am still not positive that Losman will be the second coming, I am so impressed by this coaching staff...I think they seem to prepare for everything. I agree, this is going to be a hell of a fun year...

I have to wait to watch the Packers game from tonight, on tape delay, but Losman really didn't attempt anything long in the Packers scrimmage, or the Colts exhibition.  I think it was Marv Levy (or maybe Tasker) who pointed out in the Colts game that the coaches wanted Losman to get as much time in, reading defenses, rather than trying to play catch way down field with his receivers. Pesonally, I think that is a great idea...I think it lessens some of the likelihood of injuries (wr pull their hamstrigs and groins often when trying to "stretch the field"), and their is a tendancy of young strong armed QB's to rely on their arm too much early on, rather than learning the offense (see Michael Vick, Rob Johnson,etc etc...).

This could also be a tactic to lull defenses (read: the Texans) into thinking the Bills will dink and dunk it, but hit them with a long pass right out of the gate. Who knows? I for one would love to see the Bills run play-action or a flea-flicker for JP's first-ever start, and hit a big-gainer/TD. That would be a serious mind freak.

In my opinion Losman looked good tonight. Very good ball handling on play action- pass accuracy looked good- and he made some good decisions to get rid of the ball when he didn't see anything develop. He is going to give me a heart attack running like he does, otherwise he managed the game well and was hitting recievers on the outside shoulder well in the short patterns.

I think the reason Losman is throwing only short passes is because the Bills want to maximize the number of snaps Losman gets this preseason and use it as extended practice time. If Losman throws a deep ball and gets it intercepted, its a wasted series and a loss of potential practice time. Even if he completes it, it shortens the series and again, reduces their chances to practice against an actual opponent.

Actually I heard a stat that teams with winning pre-season records have a much greater chance of making the post-season. And this is recent history, not what the Bills did in the early 90's by losing every pre-season game and making the SB every year.

Good enough for me.Lets kill the Bears.

I for one would love to see the Bills run play-action or a flea-flicker for JP's first-ever start, and hit a big-gainer/TD.  That would be a serious mind freak.

413423[/snapback]

Yeah, run a flea-flicker to Josh Reed. It will be a mind freak if he catches it.

agreed.  on bills radio van pelt said that numerous throws that resulted in incompletions were thrown "the only place they could be thrown."  losman apparently knows where to put the ball so that if his guys don't get it, no one will.

413359[/snapback]

I will take an incompletion over an interception any day. The only stat I care about is who had more points at the end of the game. :angry:

I think the reason Losman is throwing only short passes is because the Bills want to maximize the number of snaps Losman gets this preseason and use it as extended practice time.  If Losman throws a deep ball and gets it intercepted,  its a wasted series and a loss of potential practice time.  Even if he completes it,  it shortens the series and again,  reduces their chances to practice against an actual opponent.

413435[/snapback]

Good observation.

I think the reason Losman is throwing only short passes is because the Bills want to maximize the number of snaps Losman gets this preseason and use it as extended practice time.  If Losman throws a deep ball and gets it intercepted,  its a wasted series and a loss of potential practice time.  Even if he completes it,  it shortens the series and again,  reduces their chances to practice against an actual opponent.

413435[/snapback]

.... or maybe they do not want to show what they have in their bag of tricks for the long game - yet.