Dan Orlovsky: Bills offensive weapons are top five in the AFC, too many are sleeping on this team

Logic

I've learned not to care what national media talking heads say about the Bills because they are rarely doing a "deep dive" into the specifics and are just reacting to groupthink or a headline.  Orlovsky studies, and he knows that a QB's best friend is multiple options so he doesn't have to force the ball in one particular place.

The counterpoint is asking who is the "go-to" guy when you absolutely need a play, and I'd say that for this team it's going to be Kincaid -- and that doesn't concern me one bit.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm amazed by how many fans don't want to acknowledge the concept of quantity (multiple "good" players) over quality (a true WR1) when you have an all-world QB who can distribute the ball.

It puts SO much more pressure on the defense when they can't just try to take away one strength.

I agree, and have mentioned a few times this offseason that I'd be fine with the "quantity approach", most effectively deployed by the Green Bay Packers last season.

Until the addition of MVS and Claypool (and the realistic seeming possibility that the latter might actually have his head screwed on straight), I didn't feel that the Bills had accomplished the "quantity" goal very effectively, either. I feel better about it now.

To me, though, having a deeper stable of decent to good players is not necessarily superior to having a shallower stable of very good to elite players, it's simply a different approach. Nor does it mean that one can't attempt to rank teams' respective offensive skill player stables without it meaning that one has some kind of vendetta against one's favorite team simply for not ranking them #1.

Edited by Logic

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Process said:

Not a crazy take at all. Our group is no where near as bad as people are making it out to be. Well rounded and deep with speed, size, and a potentially elite TE. 

Miami and Houston are clearly at the top but I would take our skill position players over Baltimore and maybe even Cincinnati and NYJ. 

Also no one seems to talk about how Miami's track team folded at the end of the year and in bad weather.   The additions to the roster were also made with late season and playoff time in mind - big physical receivers, and multiple options coming from everywhere so that a single weapon or two can't just be easily neutralized (more easily in bad weather)

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Quantity does not replace quality. There are are only so many plays being run and passes per game. What we need is a few of these players to exceed expectations/ Kincaid have a complete year as a downfield threat not just a dump off guy. Cook a complete back that does not disappear on the sidelines for quarters of games. Shakir or Samuel to resemble a #1 type WR or a rookie Coleman as a #1. Maybe a rebound year from MVS. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Cook is still better than all 3.  Kincaid and Knox are TE 2 and 3.   

The 4 of them are very good backs.  I'd take Cook over them, but we'll see.

Archane is every bit as explosive.  Averaged almost 8 ypc last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

Absolutely. 

I'm higher on Davis than many might find reasonable for a 4th round running back.

He seems to have a three-down skillset, a killer's mentality, and the experience level and age to hit the ground running right away. I don't think "oh, he may be good in a year or two". I think he's ready to be good NOW, and I think he's gonna challenge Cook for snaps more and more as the year goes on. I said before that it won't surprise me if he ultimately becomes a co-starter with Cook or winds up with the lion's share of the snaps by year's end.

I'm high on Davis too. And the 4th round thing, to me, doesn't matter. Davis was the 8th RB taken, guess who the 8th WR off the board was? Yep, Coleman. I know some on here like Johnson, but I think Davis is going to get a lot of touches and could end up being the 1B to Cook's 1A.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

For what it's worth (probably not much): My personal opinion is that the Bills would be JUST on the outside looking in of the "top five in the AFC" discussion.

In no particular order, I'd list the Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins, Bengals, Titans, and arguably the Jaguars as having better weapons than the Bills. So I'd probably have the Bills sixth or seventh. A big jump from Kincaid and Shakir could change that, but that's where I'd have it now.

Browns are top 5 for sure.   Got a returning 1250 yard WR in Amari Cooper.......acquired Jeudy who had like 750.......Elijah Moore had 640.......David Njoku almost 900 at TE.......plus Nick Chubb is a year removed from 1500 yards rushing.

Orlovsky is just shooting from the hip without looking closely.    There are clearly 5 with significantly more proven talent and higher season projections.   

The Bills are in a lower weight class than any of the top 7.    Could they spring into it if there were unlikely events?   Sure.   But they are much closer to teams like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indy and the Jets.    If one of them adds a player like Aiyuk they clearly move ahead of Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MikePJ76 said:

I don't know.  We don't have Steve Diggs anymore and he was him...like the best player on the team.  Josh Allen might turn around and run the wrong way this year he will be so lost without Ol' Steve Diggs.

Like who is Steve Diggs and Like no he won't.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Absolutely. 

I'm higher on Davis than many might find reasonable for a 4th round running back.

He seems to have a three-down skillset, a killer's mentality, and the experience level and age to hit the ground running right away. I don't think "oh, he may be good in a year or two". I think he's ready to be good NOW, and I think he's gonna challenge Cook for snaps more and more as the year goes on. I said before that it won't surprise me if he ultimately becomes a co-starter with Cook or winds up with the lion's share of the snaps by year's end.

Not a bad alternative, especially if Cook's dropsies and fumbles become an issue.

• Like (+1) 1

I am looking forward to what this set of weapons can do for Josh this year.

I think Kincaid takes a big step forward and becomes more of the centerpiece of the O this year. 

I also take comfort in the fact that the Bills have a 1st round pick and two 2nd round picks, plus around 20 mill in cap space to upgrade any of the weapons that don't produce this year.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Browns are top 5 for sure.   Got a returning 1250 yard WR in Amari Cooper.......acquired Jeudy who had like 750.......Elijah Moore had 640.......David Njoku almost 900 at TE.......plus Nick Chubb is a year removed from 1500 yards rushing.

Orlovsky is just shooting from the hip without looking closely.    There are clearly 5 with significantly more proven talent and higher season projections.   

The Bills are in a lower weight class than any of the top 7.    Could they spring into it if there were unlikely events?   Sure.   But they are much closer to teams like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Indy and the Jets.    If one of them adds a player like Aiyuk they clearly move ahead of Buffalo.

Yeah it seems as though Orlovsky's comment is based on a decent amount of projection.

IF Coleman hits and IF Knox returns to his '21-'22 form and IF Shakir elevates his game and IF Kincaid takes a sophomore leap...then the Bills could reasonably be a top five group in the AFC.

If we're going solely by proven NFL production, it's pretty hard to argue top five with a straight face.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm amazed by how many fans don't want to acknowledge the concept of quantity (multiple "good" players) over quality (a true WR1) when you have an all-world QB who can distribute the ball.

It puts SO much more pressure on the defense when they can't just try to take away one strength.

i know you probably didn't mean it this way but this reads as having less talent makes you more difficult to defend

can you give me an example of the concept you are referring to?

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Steve Diggs is the greatest player that has ever lived. Ever.

We will see if that holds true when he doesn't have Jim Allen as his QB!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

Just now, GoBills808 said:

i know you probably didn't mean it this way but this reads as having less talent makes you more difficult to defend

can you give me an example of the concept you are referring to?

Multiple good options > one stud and little else

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t believe we have a top 5 playmakers unit but I also don’t believe we have to have one to have a great offense.   

I like the group and I think it’s the deepest WR we’ve had since we’ve been here.  Basically meaning that the WR 4-6 this year  are the best under McD.  WR 1-3 is worse than every season in which Diggs played here but will be better than the units pre-Diggs 

Our RBs are top of the line. Both Cook and Davis have tremendous potential in the pass game.  Kincaid and Knox are one of the top TE duos in the league with Kincaid having untapped potential.  That’s already 4 very solid pass catchers.  All with above average to very good RAC ability.

Samuel, Shakir and Coleman all with very good RAC ability and adept at catching the ball.  Hollins and MVS can both play outside and excel as blockers in both the run and pass game (as does Coleman).  Claypool has some appeal too but I’m not counting on him.  Overall, I think we have a great group of pass catchers from 1-20 yards.  

It’s going to be all on Brady to scheme the 20+ passing game.  I think samuel, shakir and Kincaid have the ability to separate and make plays downfield within the scheme of the play.  Keon, MVS and Hollins more of downfield jump ball and scramble drill targets.  

We have guys that can make plays. It’s all on Brady and 17 imo.  I think we’ve seen teams with lesser groups of pass catchers win super bowls.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Special K said:

We will see if that holds true when he doesn't have Jim Allen as his QB!!

Steve Diggs has been known to respond to this kind of thing by saying...

"You Sure"

• Like (+1) 1