What's your interest level in the Buffalo Bandits?

3 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

How many lacrosse teams are there? If there were at least 20 I’d start following it 

it kind of has the feel of minor league hockey. I grew up in Rochester as an Amerks fan. You can get excited but at the end of the day it’s not the main stage or the biggest thing around 

Sure, it's just a pond, but we're the monarchs of that pond. Life is short. Take the win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

How many lacrosse teams are there? If there were at least 20 I’d start following it 

it kind of has the feel of minor league hockey. I grew up in Rochester as an Amerks fan. You can get excited but at the end of the day it’s not the main stage or the biggest thing around 

There are 15 teams in the National Lacrosse League. 

https://www.nll.com/

My interest in the Bandits is about as high as any sport that isn’t football. That’s not a high bar, but I’ll make some time for them. That puts them in my distant second tier after NFL/NCAAF. 

Zero.

It is too small for my attention. My attention goes NFL > NHL and then drops significantly to MLB > NBA and then drops significantly more to > Minor league baseball > Lacrosse.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Zero.

It is too small for my attention. My attention goes NFL > NHL and then drops significantly to MLB > NBA and then drops significantly more to > Minor league baseball > Lacrosse.

I feel the same with the exception of you can cross everything off after MLB.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bandits have breen around since 1992 ad this is their 6th championship. This is the 4th year in a row playing in the  championship round. Having won last year and this year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/18/2024 at 6:19 PM, BillsPride12 said:

I recognize most of the posters on this side of the board are not currently living in WNY and they might not even know who the Bandits are LOL.  For those that still live in WNY what is your interest level in the Bandits?  I'm diehard when it comes to the Bills and Sabres but I just can't find myself getting into the Bandits even though they are about to play for their 2nd consecutive Championship tonight.  They do have a nice niche following around here but it's nothing like it would be if the Sabres were in the playoffs right now.  I believe the game is being aired live on some channel here tonight but I don't even know if I can sit through the entire game.  

*For those that don't know the Bandits are the professional indoor Lacrosse team we have in Buffalo.  To be fair they are the most successful professional sports franchise we have ever seen in Buffalo haha 

I don’t still live in WNY, but I follow the Bandits as closely as I do the Sabres and only slightly less intensely as I do the Bills. By any objective measure, as of last night the Bandits are now considered the greatest franchise in professional lacrosse history! That alone is worthy of our respect, regardless of how one might feel about this sport in relation to football or hockey.

23 hours ago, DrW said:

Same here. I like to watch outdoor lacrosse, but IMHO it does not translate well to indoors. The same applies to a number of sports. Indoor soccer is an atrocity, unless you need a sport for your kids in winter. Perhaps someone can come up with ideas for indoor polo - that would be a hoot.

Point of clarification: the top pro indoor league of lacrosse is considered to be completely on par with the top pro outdoor league. This isn’t the case for gridiron football or soccer, but it is for lacrosse!

The top indoor league is Buffalo’s National Lacrosse League (NLL), while the top outdoor league is the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) which starts in two weeks. Many of the world’s top lacrosse players play in both leagues. Most of the Bandits’ offense, for example, also play together for the Carolina Chaos in the PLL (yet another Carolina/Buffalo pro sports connection…LOL…).

Canadians and Indigenous peoples prefer the more physical indoor/box version of lacrosse, while Americans tend to prefer the outdoor/field version. The indoor version resembles ice hockey in style of play, with elements of strategy that are also seen in basketball. The outdoor version resembles soccer too much in pace, which is why I personally think the NLL will eventually overtake the PLL to become the undisputed top version of professional lacrosse in North America.

3 hours ago, ComradeKayAdams said:

I don’t still live in WNY, but I follow the Bandits as closely as I do the Sabres and only slightly less intensely as I do the Bil,

Point of clarification: the top pro indoor league of lacrosse is considered to be completely on par with the top pro outdoor league. This isn’t the case for gridiron football or soccer, but it is for lacrosse!

The top indoor league is Buffalo’s National Lacrosse League (NLL), while the top outdoor league is the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) which starts in two weeks. Many of the world’s top lacrosse players play in both leagues. Most of the Bandits’ offense, for example, also play together for the Carolina Chaos in the PLL (yet another Carolina/Buffalo pro sports connection…LOL…).

Canadians and Indigenous peoples prefer the more physical indoor/box version of lacrosse, while Americans tend to prefer the outdoor/field version. The indoor version resembles ice hockey in style of play, with elements of strategy that are also seen in basketball. The outdoor version resembles soccer too much in pace, which is why I personally think the NLL will eventually overtake the PLL to become the undisputed top version of professional lacrosse in North America.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. It does not affect my preference for the outdoor version of lacrosse (which seems to align with the fact that I also love watching soccer).

• Like (+1) 1

I watched the game on ESPN +. Impressive win, as Albany kept creeping back to make it a game, and the Bandits responded with 5, and 6 goals in a row to put Albany in their place. 

And, a gal I used to work real estate with is marrying Josh Byrne this summer. It's been fun seeing her post about Josh. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1