Beane on Green Light with Chris Long

I was in the camp that has been extremely frustrated with how this organization has addressed the WR position.

And I think alot of the angst is cumulative & reflective of how our WR’s have been an issue late season/playoffs the past two years.

Defense constantly let’s us down, but we have a D coach and invest heavily there, so I don’t know what to say anymore. 

But we haven’t given Josh heavy investment in that room.   He almost willed us to a Divisional victory against the best defense in the league with the ghost of Diggs and Trent Sherfield as WR2.

That being said… 

I like this WR room.  It hinges on Brady/Allen clicking and Allen being able to play Point Guard better.

We should have a good OL again & everyone on the field.. at all times.. is a pass catching option.  We have more speed (Shakir, Samuel, MVS) and more size (Coleman/Hollins) than we’ve ever had for Allen. 

Look for an above average run game, Kincaid’s evolution into a 1 and everything else playing off that with WR’s taking turns having big games based on how teams play us. 

But Josh has to learn how to take layups and play within structure better for this to work. 

I think this off-season and how we’ve built the offense shows he recognizes that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, HOUSE said:

Joe Brady was a wise choice, I like him

This man’s vote can be purchased for an ashtray!

It was indeed interesting when Beane spoke of the difference between Brady and Dorsey. Smashing iPads and sulking about injuries is not what a true leader does imo. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

This man’s vote can be purchased for an ashtray!

It was indeed interesting when Beane spoke of the difference between Brady and Dorsey. Smashing iPads and sulking about injuries is not what a true leader does imo. 

Needs to be a new 12 inch Budweiser ash tray

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Needs to be a new 12 inch Budweiser ash tray

You’ll take the used Schlitz ashtray with the chipped corner and be happy about it! 

EDIT: @HOUSE should know I do NOT negotiate with terrorists! 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/17/2024 at 11:08 PM, NeverOutNick said:

You’re on point. He also really tagged Hollins as well. I’m not the biggest Hollins supporter but Beane definitely loves him some Hollins and MVS. Hope it’s a fair and even competition for all 3 remaining spots but definitely sounds like Hollins and MVS have a leg up. 

I’m a huge Shakir guy and think he’ll be our best WR this year along with Kincaid in the middle so it was nice to hear Beane give him some love.

That really was a good interview. And like others said before I’m glad Chop Robinson was gone because McD would’ve been all in Beanes pocket to get him at 28 lol. He did mention Latu though. That’s the only DE I would’ve been on board with taking at 28. He’s a freak. 

Lastly I really am excited to see how Brady operates his offense with a full offseason under his belt

Yeah, I left that part out.  Long asked Beane who is the most under-rated player on the Bills, and he named Taron Johnson on Defense and Khalil Shakir on Offense.  Definitely some major Shakir Love going down.

I don't think Hollins is competing with MVS for a spot.  IIRC, Beane mentioned special teams and all the leaders we lost on ST this year, and referred to Hollins as a "glue guy".  I think in the past the "glue guys" have been the players who aren't the most talented, but who help keep the team energized and working together, and who grind in whatever role is needed.

Can most agree that the loud and persistent angst we're seeing from the WR-Train fan contingent (who I am largely aligned with) is specifically due to a lack of elite boundary targets? If we look at the current group objectively, there are clearly talented and ascending guys (Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, even Coleman), but the top half of the group all seem (according to popular sentiment) best suited to moving around and lining up inside most of the time. 

The desire for an elite boundary alpha receiver is not new, but it's also not backed up by historical results. Aside from like Jerry Rice (who wasn't strictly an X by any means) and Michael Irvin back in the 80s-90s (and probably someone I'm forgetting), not a lot of SB champs fielded that prototypical, blue chip boundary WR1 with length and speed (also Rice's timed speed was underwhelming).

Andre Reed is the WR Bills fans celebrate most from the 90s teams. But it was James Lofton and Don Beebe who worked the boundaries. Reed made his living in the middle, as we know. 

Remember how darn efficient and surgical Josh Allen was when he had an elite slot receiver to throw to? Watching the last quarter of the 13 seconds game, and Beasley was SO integral to moving the chains in the first half of those last two pivotal late game drives (got a little beat-up on that last drive, but his impact and target share was unmistakable).

Seems reasonable to me to have high hopes for a Josh Allen-led offense that features a strong o-line, better than average running game, talented/ascendant passing weapons at TE (Kincaid, Knox, and Morris) and Z/Y receivers (Samuel and Shakir--with Hamler and Isabella behind them on PS)...and also LONG boundary guys with a variety of traits and pedigrees (Coleman, MVS, Hollins, Shorter/Shavers) who can hopefully take advantage of their limited, but important, opportunities. Maybe even blow up every now and then when opposing defenses leave them on islands. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Can most agree that the loud and persistent angst we're seeing from the WR-Train fan contingent (who I am largely aligned with) is specifically due to a lack of elite boundary targets? If we look at the current group objectively, there are clearly talented and ascending guys (Kincaid, Samuel, Shakir, even Coleman), but the top half of the group all seem (according to popular sentiment) best suited to moving around and lining up inside most of the time. 

The desire for an elite boundary alpha receiver is not new, but it's also not backed up by historical results. Aside from like Jerry Rice (who wasn't strictly an X by any means) and Michael Irvin back in the 80s-90s (and probably someone I'm forgetting), not a lot of SB champs fielded that prototypical, blue chip boundary WR1 with length and speed (also Rice's timed speed was underwhelming).

Andre Reed is the WR Bills fans celebrate most from the 90s teams. But it was James Lofton and Don Beebe who worked the boundaries. Reed made his living in the middle, as we know. 

Remember how darn efficient and surgical Josh Allen was when he had an elite slot receiver to throw to? Watching the last quarter of the 13 seconds game, and Beasley was SO integral to moving the chains in the first half of those last two pivotal late game drives (got a little beat-up on that last drive, but his impact and target share was unmistakable).

Seems reasonable to me to have high hopes for a Josh Allen-led offense that features a strong o-line, better than average running game, talented/ascendant passing weapons at TE (Kincaid, Knox, and Morris) and Z/Y receivers (Samuel and Shakir--with Hamler and Isabella behind them on PS)...and also LONG boundary guys with a variety of traits and pedigrees (Coleman, MVS, Hollins, Shorter/Shavers) who can hopefully take advantage of their limited, but important, opportunities. Maybe even blow up every now and then when opposing defenses leave them on islands. 

Being reminded of Andre makes me jump down the rabbit hole of his YouTube highlights…<sigh> that speedy YAC stuff never gets old!!

https://youtu.be/VNrl-WgnbRM?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/GsNCMiRxyP4?feature=shared

On 5/18/2024 at 12:40 PM, mollymalonesmafia said:

I personally was praying to god he wasnt our pick.

I do not want to get into this argument but this was my feeling as well.   I will hope for the best, and I have no expert credentials, but Coleman was not my cup of tea.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/18/2024 at 12:40 PM, mollymalonesmafia said:

I was Ecstatic for the Kincaid, pick last year and literally a chair when they picked Elam.

I don't know what this means?