Do You Leave the Toilet Seat Up or Down?

Irv

I am male.  I grew up in a household with my brother, dad, and mom.  We always left the toilet seat up when finished.  Logic was that young boys would not have to remember to lift the seat when peeing.  Made sense - right?   Now I get torn apart for suggesting we continue the tradition.    

• Haha (+1) 4

I'm with the dude from Illinois... when you're done put the seat AND the lid down.

In my 70+ years I've never dropped anything into the bowl that I didn't want in there but I've had plenty of things bounce off of the lid that I wouldn't want in there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RichStadiumGuy said:

I'm with the dude from Illinois... when you're done put the seat AND the lid down.

In my 70+ years I've never dropped anything into the bowl that I didn't want in there but I've had plenty of things bounce off of the lid that I wouldn't want in there.

Even without dropping... The aerosol action of an open flush is hideous.

I ain't no neat freak either.

But... Then again God only knows how big of a bathroom some of the high rollers here have!  

A bigwig like @mrags probably has room for his 89" OLED in his bathroom. So, sky is the limit there! 😉 

@BringBackFergy @Mike in Horseheads @Gugny

[I'd tag the rest of the ShoutBox, but that's just a little too weird]

😆 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Now here's the rest of the question about toilet seats up or down........when you're in a public restroom and the urinals are full and you gotta use the stall, do you put the seat up or leave it down?......cause i'll tell you right now, i ain't never touched a public toilet seat and i ain't ever planning on it.

I'll use my foot to coax the seat up and if that ain't working, i'll piss right through the center of the seat opening, hoping for a direct hit, but i don't have good aim and sometimes there's piss all over the place.

Hey, i'm being honest here.....

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

Now here's the rest of the question about toilet seats up or down........when you're in a public restroom and the urinals are full and you gotta use the stall, do you put the seat up or leave it down?......cause i'll tell you right now, i ain't never touched a public toilet seat and i ain't ever planning on it.

I'll use my foot to coax the seat up and if that ain't working, i'll piss right through the center of the seat opening, hoping for a direct hit, but i don't have good aim and sometimes there's piss all over the place.

Use your foot?  To lower or raise?

Anyway all public seats have to have an open front on the seat. Like this:

https://www.hunker.com/12003322/purpose-of-open-front-toilet-seats

1182cd1f-bc65-41bc-be01-9f961ce576b7_1.0

I guess that helps a little bit. 😆 

21 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Even without dropping... The aerosol action of an open flush is hideous.

I ain't no neat freak either.

But... Then again God only knows how big of a bathroom some of the high rollers here have!  

A bigwig like @mrags probably has room for his 89" OLED in his bathroom. So, sky is the limit there! 😉 

@BringBackFergy @Mike in Horseheads @Gugny

[I'd tag the rest of the ShoutBox, but that's just a little too weird]

😆

Let’s be real. We all know @Gugny has a 13” black and white 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Use your foot?  To lower or raise?

Anyway all public seats have to have an open front on the seat. Like this:

https://www.hunker.com/12003322/purpose-of-open-front-toilet-seats

1182cd1f-bc65-41bc-be01-9f961ce576b7_1.0

I guess that helps a little bit. 😆 

Oh, i don't lower it at all in a public restroom..... If i get that thing up with my foot, wherever it ends up, that where she stays.

toilet peeing GIF

This pretty well covers it in a public restroom.....

• Haha (+1) 1

There’s nothing better than hearing my wife pinch a fit because I left the seat up, and she ends up dunking her ass in the water when going to the bathroom at night. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

100% agree with that approach. Never touch the seat. also, if I am just peeing, I don’t even close the stall door. 

2 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I'm usually too drunk to remember. 

You’ll find a terrible mess in the morning if you put the lid down. I’ll try not to make that mistake again!

But I’ve said that before…… 🤷‍♂️

Posted (edited)

For a long time, I would have argued for leaving the seat down, considering the two females in our household. However, since last October I am wheelchair-bound (otherwise I am doing fine - thanks), and the restroom doors are so narrow that I use a small wheelchair with a central opening that fits over the toilet, but only if the seat is up. Thus, in the master bathroom the default setting should be "up". However, sometimes my beloved wife forgets; I back up without looking and get stuck. 

Edited by DrW

5 hours ago, Sweats said:

Usually I just flip it up with my foot and leave it like that