Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, DrW said:

Are you married? If yes, did you ever ask your wife if she agrees with you?

Before you ask me the same question: Yes, I am married. Both my wife work in academic research/teaching, full-time. Still, we were able to raise two kids who did not seem to suffer from the circumstances. Sure, it was sometimes hard to do your work at night because during the day you had to incorporate the kids' schedule. No, I am not saying that this is the correct approach for everybody; you and your spouse sometimes have to make hard decisions. Most importantly, not everybody who does not share Mr. Butker's values is a "freak". There is very seldom a clear black or white; most of us operate in the grey zone.    

Married 28 years.  Wife agrees with me 100%   There's actual "academic research" in Auto/Diesel School?  Wow.  Who'd a thunk it?  

Edited by Irv
  • Dislike 1

Here's a novel idea.

Benedictine should give free tuition to anyone who is willing to accept Butker's way of thinking.  Sign a contract. They already do it for people to graduate and work in state, etc...

OR... Give the one's, who never use their degree to economically help their single income family, their tuition back.

😆... Yeah right! The Church putting their money where their mouth is!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Bill, why so bitter?  And I don't "argue" with Badol...he picks on me relentlessly and I ignore him.  I have no time for arrogant pricks like that.  I'm a football fan, and I call it like I see it.  I started the Butker thread because it's getting a lot of attention.  If you don't like it you don't have to participate.

You're an angry man.  It's a shame.

Be careful backing Bill into a corner like that because he may respond harshly.  Bill HATES corners.

• Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You inserted yourself into the conversation and mischaracterized…..oops….that might be a tough word for you.

I fully support your right to speak your weak mind.  

this is weak smack . Senor Jauronimo doesn't need my defense. But the low blows at his intellect and comprehension  are laughable but not in a funny way.

JMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, muppy said:

this is weak smack . Senor Jauronimo doesn't need my defense. But the low blows at his intellect and comprehension  are laughable but not in a funny way.

JMO.

That’s all this guy does. 
He’s under the delusion that he’s the smartest guy in the room, and wants everyone to know it. 

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

War paint isn’t a trope?  Ok whatever you say.

And woke typically involves calls to punish someone in some way.  I don’t think you should be punished for being weak minded.

Are you suggesting that war paint is inherently racist?  

The trope of using war paint to ironically depict football coaches as brave is offensive to whom exactly?  Use your strong mind. 

Edited by Jauronimo

22 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Is Simon on vacation or something, because I’ve been berated and suspended for less than what I’m seeing in this thread, re “politics.” LOL

I surmise like somebody has already mentioned…there are different rules for different folks, and that is very disappointing.

I would very much prefer to keep the the thread here, as it will get more diverse responses. On PPP, you get two sides with preformed notions just yelling at the other.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Are you suggesting that war paint is inherently racist?  

The trope of using war paint to ironically depict football coaches as brave is offensive to whom exactly?  Use your strong mind. 

Not inherently.  

2 hours ago, muppy said:

JMO.

He failed to understand that I called Dr. K “Doc” but I’m not supposed to question reading comprehension?  Shirley.

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's a mental health crisis too when a young woman is pumping out the children as a stay at home mother while living in abject poverty.

Good thing Isabella Butker has her sugar daddy kicker...

The reason stay at home mothers are considered and by some metrics are among the happiest or the happiest cohort of people is because it costs an insane amount of money to have a child and a spouse that doesn't work. So the demographic tends to be upper middle class or wealthy and while money doesn't buy happiness it is stats wise proven that the more money you have the happier you are. 

There simply aren't many people that can afford to have a child and a single income home. Those professions are among the top 10% of earners. It is also not like women can count on just marrying someone and staying at home. How is a woman supposed to support herself while she waits to marry someone to take care of her? 

The most ironic thing is that Butker's mother is a physicist. This is just a guy who didn't get enough attention from his mom lashing out. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

31 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The reason stay at home mothers are considered and by some metrics are among the happiest or the happiest cohort of people is because it costs an insane amount of money to have a child and a spouse that doesn't work. So the demographic tends to be upper middle class or wealthy and while money doesn't buy happiness it is stats wise proven that the more money you have the happier you are. 

There simply aren't many people that can afford to have a child and a single income home. Those professions are among the top 10% of earners. It is also not like women can count on just marrying someone and staying at home. How is a woman supposed to support herself while she waits to marry someone to take care of her? 

The most ironic thing is that Butker's mother is a physicist. This is just a guy who didn't get enough attention from his mom lashing out. 

One can live in section 8 housing, collect welfare and food stamps. 

😏

mods, please move to OTW (or annihilate) if considered more appropriate

For those who missed it, Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker was invited to give the commencement address at Catholic Benedictine College in Atchinson, KS.

Here's the transcript:

https://www.ncregister.com/news/harrison-butker-speech-at-benedictine

He's entitled to his views, although he seems to have crafted it on the "if I haven't offended you yet, just wait a minute" principle. 

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-harrison-butker-e00f6ee45955c99ef1e809ec447239e0

The NFL has now disavowed his comments

https://wapo.st/4dIi9MK (gift article, should work)

"The NFL said Thursday that it disagrees with the views expressed by Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker during a commencement address last weekend, calling itself “steadfast” in its commitment to inclusion." 

“Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity,” Jonathan Beane, the NFL’s chief diversity and inclusion officer, said in a written statement provided to The Washington Post and other media outlets. “His views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger.”

Personally, when you're addressing an audience of young women who just worked hard to earn a degree, I think the minimum the commencement speaker could do is to respect that effort.  "Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world"  - how disparaging of their efforts and hard work! 

All I can say is I hope his kicks next season follow his views, and go Wide Right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

This guy sounds like a YouTube addict and a follower. People just go down a rabbit hole.

I like how he assumes he knows anything about “most women” like he’s a sociologist and not an… NFL kicker! lol.

Well, another reason to root against the Chiefs, not that we needed one!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2

That speech was on the longer side! Most of it was about Catholicism. He even went so far as to endorse the traditional Latin mass! 😮

There was some discussion about abortion, and Butker's position was anti-abortion. I think that the two most controversial parts of his speech were the anti-abortion part and the part the OP quoted. "Some of you may go on to lead successful careers in the world, but I would venture to guess that the majority of you are most excited about your marriage and the children you will bring into this world."

A comment like that makes me ask myself some questions. Was my own mother more excited about her career, or about motherhood? Would my siblings and I have been better or worse off if she'd shifted her priorities in that regard?