Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

15 minutes ago, turbo044 said:

Claypool had more than 851 yards in both 2020 and 2021

That's funny.  I forgot about Claypool.   I've already written him off in my head, and OTAs haven't started yet!

Okay, so it's one more guy with 873 yards as his best season.   Add him to the list someone presented to me in February, and I still would have been scratching my head.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Some people struggle (or less optimistic) to envision a successful offense, without a true #1 or 1/2 punch.

I know it will be a successful offense just because we have Allen. Extremely likely to be top 10, likely top 5ish even no matter what. But I want top 2. That's what this team needs to win a championship. I'm not convinced we have added enough talent to have a top 2 offense. If you disagree that's fine. Everybody seems to agree we need several players to step up big time for us to hit that standard.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I think he was. If not, why did you wait for guarantees to kick in?

I can only imagine that something happened in the offseason that either hit critical mass or exacerbated the fault lines.

Now, long term, the team might see benefit: they were already over the salary cap for 2025 and likely got a top 45 pick

But this is going to hurt short term 

Could have been a difference in return, maybe we wouldn’t have gotten much at all if we traded beforehand, and Beane preferred getting a second.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Defense was on the field for the last drive

And special teams is what didn't get it done

Defense was on the field because the offense couldn’t get it done with their chance.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

It's called coaching and we will see if Bills AC Adam Henry is up to the task to get these men up to the task.

This is I think an underrated piece that is not being discussed much.  Coaching up this collection of new receivers to work on specific skills for each and get the most out of them individually, as well as form a new cohesive unit from so many new parts is going to take some good coaching.   I assume Brady will be hands-on with this unit as well - but Adam Henry has a real opportunity to show what he can do. 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches-roster/adam-henry 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You guys are funny.  MVS has NEVER dropped a pass in the playoffs or Superbowl.  

His drops are there for people to see but overall he catches the ball a fraction of a percent better than Gabe Davis.

The issue is that he looked washed last year.     When Patrick Mahomes has a passer rating of 73 when targeting you.........you probably suck.   That's why he was kicking rocks in the middle of May.......not his career low-light reel.

Watching the Joe Marino podcast on MVS, I feel better about it. He points out MVS has ZERO drops in the playoffs for his career. His 2022-2023 including playoffs  EPA (expected points added per target) against man is .38, against zone is .09 — and the Bills have the highest % of man coverage in the NFL last year. We need receivers that can beat man coverage and MVS does that.

Marino says he hopes MVS can open up the underneath for other guys. He's not expecting him to get a ton of targets but he's useful as he brings a vertical element we didn't have otherwise. "I think the Bills got a faster and cheaper Gabe Davis," Marino says and would rather sign MVS to to this deal than Davis to 3 years for $39 million.

Before people lose their minds, Marino is not saying he's saviour or a number one, just a useful addition and an upgrade to Shavers or Isabella.

"And yeah, I do wish his drop rate was better. But if you can't see what he brings to the table then you just wanna crack jokes and be mad," Joe says.

p.s. he expects Kincaid to lead team in targets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

This is I think an underrated piece that is not being discussed much.  Coaching up this collection of new receivers to work on specific skills for each and get the most out of them individually, as well as form a new cohesive unit from so many new parts is going to take some good coaching.   I assume Brady will be hands-on with this unit as well - but Adam Henry has a real opportunity to show what he can do. 

If Adam Henry can defy gravity with this cast of high rpm drain-circlers he should some HC interviews.    The more likely result is a pink slip.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know it will be a successful offense just because we have Allen. Extremely likely to be top 10, likely top 5ish even no matter what. But I want top 2. That's what this team needs to win a championship. I'm not convinced we have added enough talent to have a top 2 offense. If you disagree that's fine. Everybody seems to agree we need several players to step up big time for us to hit that standard.

IMO, a top 5 offense is sufficient/likely to happen as you said.

Again, just to me, we need to get more stops against elite offenses.  We can't win stopping a team 1x a half, or 2-4 times a game.

We've been fortunate that Josh plays out of his mind, for the most part, in playoffs  (minus a few games).

As of now, I'm not concerned about offense.  With the additions Beane has made.

It's having our defense step up and S/T as well, when it matters most.  We won't know that until January, but we also need better fortune with injuries.  We've been hit hard past few years.

Being a top 2, vs top 5 offense, is just stats and a low differential.  It's about having better consistency/sustained drives and redzone efficiency.  I'm bullish on Brady and our group of skill players, to achieve that this season.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The WR room is filling up fast. I find it hard to believe the Bills intend to stick with Knox as a pure blocking TE. They’ve gotta be trying to move him. 

According to his new contract, this is DEFINITELY not the case.  unless you’re talking about next season, which we’d have to pay 3M more than his cap hit if we moved him.  This year….we’d pay over 16M more than his current cap hit.  He’s a bill in 2024 💯 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

According to his new contract, this is DEFINITELY not the case.  unless you’re talking about next season, which we’d have to pay 3M more than his cap hit if we moved him.  This year….we’d pay over 16M more than his current cap hit.  He’s a bill in 2024 💯 

Maybe. I’ve always figured that where there’s a checkbook, there’s a way. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah.  If in February, someone had shown me that receivingg lineup, I would have said, "Wha ..?"   I mean, really, the total absence of proven, high-end talent is bewildering.   It's not like they signed a guy who had been great once but had fallen off.   The BEST season any Bills receiver ever had was Samuel's 851 yards for Carolina in 2020.  

If Samuel, MVS, Shakir, and Hollins ALL replicate their BEST seasons, the four of them still won't have 3000 yards.  

As I keep saying, it's all about Brady and Allen.  Scheme, play calling, and execution.

It better be Ha HA Ha

But yea

I agree. Nobody but Coleman might be a stand out candidate for 1A 

see my bolded , please ^

Edited by 3rdand12

31 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is ridiculous. We need to get some stops….like every Super Bowl winner gets. The last 11 super bowls, only 3 champions have given up 25 points or more.  In the last 6 super bowls, the winner has given up 22 or less in every game except KC vs Philly.  Stay relatively healthy, game plan properly and execute.  Having a top 2 O with a below average D = no championship.  9/10 times

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Maybe. I’ve always figured that where there’s a checkbook, there’s a way. 

It’s not really a check book though.  It’s a salary cap thing.  Trading him this year would be one of the dumbest moves in team history as we just rewrote his contract.  We would’ve had less dead cap if we just kept it as it was.  So trading him, we’d have to restructure someone else to free up 16M and kick another 16M down the road. Just doesn’t make sense.  

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Thank you. I missed that hires potential for the Bills !