Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Said nobody ever after the acquisition of MVS

LOL, you spent all last year arguing about how good he was!  I figured you'd be ecstatic...  

Just now, billsfan89 said:

Isn’t Hollins a special teams ace type player? I always thought of his acquisition as occupying the WR5 Jake Kummerow/Sherfield role of a special teams ace who can play WR a bit in case of injury or in 4/5 wide special sets a few snaps a game. 

I never thought they were going to go into the season with him as a WR unless there were injuries. The drafting of Coleman moved him down out of a top 3 spot now MVS has moved into the pure WR4 slot which firmly bumps Hollins down to WR5

Thats how i saw it - WR5.  Active on gamedays, limited offensive snaps based on injury or maybe a few random formation wrinkles.  However... if say Coleman has a long-term injury, its more likely they play other WRs in that spot over time.  Like a first off bench, but never a starter.  

49 minutes ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Bills made a conscious decision to not prioritize WR this offseason. We'll see if it works.

Coleman does not = Diggs

MVS does not = Davis

Samuel is the only upgrade, over Harty

Hollins = Sherfield

They're definitely going for the committee approach. But I'm worried the threat of the explosive play, big chunk (15+ yds) is pretty much absent, meaning D's will stack the box making it harder to run and do much with the short passing game.  It will be interesting to see how it pans out. 

Diggs didn’t = Diggs last season or in the playoffs, four total TDs in his post season career, not great for a #1,

Davis constantly hobbled by his ankle and then shoulder was a fine wr4 but a failed wr2, he won’t be missed. MVS is actually not a walking injury, fingers crossed 🤞 there, 

Hollins is a step upfrom Sherfield, 

Coleman is very likely going to be an upgrade to Davis, in which he can catch footballs when they are thrown to him, 😁👍

add in Shakir Kincaid Cook and Samual all is not lost, 

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, MPL said:

If they put MVS on the ball and allow Coleman to line up off the ball or in the slot more frequently, then I think this is a very good thing for Coleman's potential to make an impact this year. 

Good take. MVS is really good vs man coverage where are other "top" wr's, including our TE's are better vs zone.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

No

Better than Trent Sherfield and deonte harty ≠ good

No

You had him on par with Gabe.  Doesn't sound too back to compete for the back end of the roster

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Hollis, Claypool and MVS are three of the least efficient WRs I’ve ever seen.  All three of them under one offense would be like a squad full of Robert Royals.

Don't forget to add Dawson Knox to the list. 

But if everybody makes the roster we have a ton of size. Claypool, MVS, and Coleman, plus Kincaid and Knox. The Bills seem to have a plan to get bigger on offense.

My guess is MVS and Claypool are pushing for the same roster spot. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'm not judging it one way or another; just trying to find a reason for the interest, and this would seem to be one given his stated position on the final-game-of-the-season issue.

My attempt at trying to find a silver lining in this is to think that they are close to signing either D Adams or D Hopkins and realized they still need an outside speed option.  Then you would have an excellent mix of skill sets and the WR room comes together.

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Diggs didn’t = Diggs last season or in the playoffs, four total TDs in his post season career, not great for a #1,

Davis constantly hobbled by his ankle and then shoulder was a fine wr4 but a failed wr2, he won’t be missed. MVS is actually not a walking injury, fingers crossed 🤞 there, 

Hollins is a step upfrom Sherfield, 

Coleman is very likely going to be an upgrade to Davis, in which he can catch footballs when they are thrown to him, 😁👍

add in Shakir Kincaid Cook and Samual all is not lost, 

When Diggs was on this roster I would bet if he was still on this roster not many would be saying Diggs is not a #1. Now that he is gone the narrative is he sucked anyway. Ok. So all the times people wanted to add to the wr room and we didn’t need to because we had Diggs and anyone else was gravy. 

Just now, BigDingus said:

I have zero confidence in MVS or Claypool to be anything other than minor contributors (if they make the final roster).

They're more likely to be a Jamison Crowder type vet. Situational, 4th or 5th option, depth in case of injury, or even getting injured themselves. 

MVS as a good situational depth WR4 is a good signing. The team needed depth and as far as cheap depth the Bills got about as good a player as they could have found given the circumstances.

Claypool is a crapshoot “why not kick the tires” type signing. Claypool is only 26 with 4 years in the league and no major injuries. He’s shown a ton of talent with 2 very productive seasons his first two years in the league. I expect absolutely nothing from him but he’s the type of player you should take a chance on.

Claypool is the type of low risk high reward reclamation project good teams take chances on. Claypool hasn’t been with a good organization since the Steelers. Chicago has been a dumpster fire and the Fins while they have been decent aren’t known as a good organization that has discipline.

Maybe being on a minimum deal on his 4th team in 2ish years is enough of a wake up call. If not they just cut him no loss.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, SWATeam said:

No

You had him on par with Gabe.  Doesn't sound too back to compete for the back end of the roster

😂😂he is on par w Davis. That's why he was the Chiefs fourth option 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Don't forget to add Dawson Knox to the list. 

But if everybody makes the roster we have a ton of size. Claypool, MVS, and Coleman, plus Kincaid and Knox. The Bills seem to have a plan to get bigger on offense.

My guess is MVS and Claypool are pushing for the same roster spot. 

with his 1.25 signing bonus, I don't think MVS is really competing with Claypool.  MVS is close to a lock.  I think Clayool is competing prmarily with Shorter for the last WR slot.

• Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

😂😂he is on par w Davis. That's why he was the Chiefs fourth option 

Always love how you include KC's TE's in the receiving analysis, but for the Bills it's strictly the WR corps...  MVS was clearly not WR4 for KC

Just now, SWATeam said:

Always love how you include KC's TE's in the receiving analysis, but for the Bills it's strictly the WR corps...  MVS was clearly not WR4 for KC

He was WR3 

Davis was WR2

Any further questions 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You don’t understand how depth works I see. 

Ok. I’ll play along. What is your solution for an experienced WR4 with size and speed that cost 2 million? Lets see if they suck or not.

The point is that to much of being of this signing.  He may not even make the roster.  He ask day caused problems in KC this past season.  

Reminds me of our Sherfield signing. 

BTW, the Sherfield signing is an outstanding example of how the majority is usually correct or your earlier statement.  Just sayin' ...

Edited by PBF81

10 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Thats how i saw it - WR5.  Active on gamedays, limited offensive snaps based on injury or maybe a few random formation wrinkles.  However... if say Coleman has a long-term injury, its more likely they play other WRs in that spot over time.  Like a first off bench, but never a starter.  

If Coleman is hurt I think MVS steps in as the first boundary WR off the bench. I think Shorter and if he turns it around Claypool could also be in that mix if they show up strong in camp/pre-season. I think this signing shows me they really don’t want to be in a situation where they are a single injury away from having to play the special teams ace on the boundary like they were last season.