Marquez Valdes-Scantling meeting with the Bills (UPDATE: Signed)

Brandon Beane Chess not Checkers

Don’t draft 2 WR’s in the best WR class in decades, draft DL and safety, then bargain bin shop for bad old WR’s that are tapped out.

MVS is a literal success story as a fifth round pick. So is Quintus Cephus. Why not draft the next version of those guys with potential vs these bums?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

Well, he can play the Gabe Davis role. Stretch the field vertically and draw coverage downfield. We needed this role in our offense.

Unfortunately this probably means no bigger moves are coming. Coleman, MVS, Samuel, Hollins, Shakir is our top 5. Claypool, Hamler, Shavers, etc. are fighting for the 6th spot.

• Like (+1) 7

Posted (edited)

Don’t like the player but I do like the approach.

we are throwing numbers at the position to see who rises to the occasion.  Competition.  I think it’s likely that a couple of MVS/Hamler/Cephus/Hollins/Claypool/Isabella/Shorter/Shavers could emerge as serviceable 

Edited by SWATeam
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

For God sakes people.  It is pretty clear that the top 3 WR on the field will be Coleman, Samuel, and Shakir.  And you’ll also have Kincaid.  So what you’re all carping about is a 4th guy with speed.  Because supposedly we don’t have a guy that can “take the top” off the defense.

With this signing you now have 3 guys that potentially can do this:  MVS, Claypool, Hamler.  Even though statistically the league threw about 1% of total passes last year where the ball went 40 yards or over last year.  But that’s still bad in some eyes here.  That begs the question:  what the hell do you want?

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 7
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 hours ago, NoSaint said:

or I keep saying - heaven forbid Samuel rolls an ankle in a preseason game and misses September? Week 1 could get real thin real fast if Coleman is even slightly a project and either Shakir or Samuel miss any early reps 

for 10% of the cost and as wr4 instead of wr2

Davis was a fine wr4, and a very mediocre wr2, what with constant ankle injury issues then his shoulder, we frankly aren’t missing a whole lot with him being gone, we we all know this to be true, 

• Like (+1) 1

We’ve created a WR core with a bunch of average and consistent fringe roster players. Shades of Carolina Panthers with Cam. I hope it works but I’m skeptical. Can already see Josh having 10 seconds to throw and NO ONE getting open. Takeaway Kincaid and make the JAGS beat you. Nausea

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

For God sakes people.  It is pretty clear that the top 3 WR on the field will be Coleman, Samuel, and Shakir.  And you’ll also have Kincaid.  So what you’re all carping about is a 4th guy with speed.  Because supposedly we don’t have a guy that can “take the top” off the defense.

With this signing you now have 3 guys that potentially can do this:  MVS, Claypool, Hamler.  Even though statistically the league threw about 1% of total passes last year where the ball went 40 yards or over last year.  But that’s still bad in some eyes here.  That begs the question:  what the hell do you want?

I agree with all of the bolded. I believe the only roster locks are Coleman, Shakir and Samuel. I would love for the next 3 to be MVS, Claypool, and Hamler because they can all stretch the field but it’s likely at most only 2 of them make the team with Hollins, Shavers, Shorter, etc fighting for that 6th spot/Special teams gunner/blocking WR role. Still holding out a little hope for Cephus too since he’s got some nice hands as a possession WR.

My guess is our final 3 comes down to this:

WR 4/returner: Hamler (please 🙏) or Isabella

WR5/Big WR with vertical upside: MVS or Claypool

WR6/Special teams/Big blocking WR: Hollins/Shavers/Cephus/Shorter

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

That's about as good as can be expected at his point.  Their strategy seems questionable, though.  Everyone could see they needed a quality speed guy last year,  so rather than add that in one of the strongest WR drafts in years,  apparently they'd rather have these guys.  

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, skibum said:

This will be the guy who drops the pass that seals the next epic heartbreaking Bills playoff loss. 

Or he could be the guy that drops 10 passes during the season, but makes that one great catch that gets the Bills in the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 4

Last year our 4th/5th6th receicers combined for 26 catches for 236 yards. 

the combination of Hollins, MVS, and Claypool, Hamler, or Cepheus is light years better than the back end of our roster last year. Any one of those guys could likely beat that number by themselves. 

Yes Diggs and Davis are gone but towards the end of last year when we were winning those guys were not helping the team. Knox is back healthy, Kincaid is in year 2, and shakir is an emerging top slot wr

• Like (+1) 7

9 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

He makes a random catch here and there. 

24 catches for 406 yards and scored 4 touchdowns in 11 games in the playoffs in his career.

Last season he had 21 catches for 315 yards 1 TD during the season

Iirc someone posted here recently that Diggs has all of four TDs in his playoff career as well, so…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't see a reason to hate this move. The way I see it, we needed a speed guy and he'll complete with Claypool/Hamler/Isabella to be that guy as WR5 (with Cephus/Shorter/Shavers competing to be the big special teams WR6). I was hoping to find that guy on day 3 in the draft, but that guy wouldn't be any better than MVS this year and with it being a 1 year deal presumably that means we go WR again in the 2025 draft. We weren't finding a game changer at this point so adding more competition for WR depth with a down the field speed guy seems fine to me

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1