A fun game from 1979, Packers at Bills

Amazing clarity for a 44 year old video. It’s a bootleg feed, meaning no commercials, which is cool. Bart Starr vs Chuck Knox with recently departed Roman Gabriel in the broadcast booth. While we weren’t very good this season, you can see the improvement from Knox and we would be in the playoffs the following 2 years.  Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I've seen a few of the videos from that channel popping up on my recommends. I do love those old games. I don't re-watch much of the games because I don't have time but I love the intros and hearing the guys talking about the games before kickoff. 

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Where does Ferguson rate on the Bills all time QB list ?

I won't count Josh since he is still playing but he probably will end up #1. As for retired Bills QB's I would say Ferguson is 3rd behind Kelly and Kemp. When Josh retires then Ferguson drops to 4th. 

Edited by Gregg
  • Like (+1) 1

Roman Gabriel's fashion statement in the opening is fire.  

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Josh

Kelly

Ferguson

On raw talent, sure, but until Josh gets to a Super Bowl, Kelly is number one. 

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 3

52 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Roman Gabriel's fashion statement in the opening is fire.  

On raw talent, sure, but until Josh gets to a Super Bowl, Kelly is number one. 

I go by talent. Josh is the king. Buffalo has never had a better QB than him.

• Like (+1) 1

The technology being used to upscale old videos these days is pretty cool. 

That's why this video looks so clear.

I've seen some old concert footage from the 60s and 70s put through the same kind of process, and it comes out looking remarkably good.

Kind of boggles the mind to think that you can actually improve the visuals of an already-filmed thing from 40+ years ago. Like...how do you just MAKE something be higher definition? It's wild. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If we go by winning, then Kemp is #1. B2B AFL championships. Only championships in Bills history.

Thanks Chan! I loved that '79 squad; They faded at the end of the year and missed the playoffs, but showed tons of potential. Plus the draft going into that year was fantastic: despite &^%$# Tom Cousineau bailing out, the Bills landed Jerry Butler, Jim Haslett and Fred Smerlas, all future pro-bowlers -- plus Jeff Nixon in a later round, who was on a pro-bowl trajectory in 1980 when he injured his knee. (But 44 years ago?? Yikes ...)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Thanks Chan! I loved that '79 squad; They faded at the end of the year and missed the playoffs, but showed tons of potential. Plus the draft going into that year was fantastic: despite &^%$# Tom Cousineau bailing out, the Bills landed Jerry Butler, Jim Haslett and Fred Smerlas, all future pro-bowlers -- plus Jeff Nixon in a later round, who was on a pro-bowl trajectory in 1980 when he injured his knee. (But 44 years ago?? Yikes ...)

Very good draft!

4 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I've seen a few of the videos from that channel popping up on my recommends. I do love those old games. I don't re-watch much of the games because I don't have time but I love the intros and hearing the guys talking about the games before kickoff. 

I recommend retirement.. 😉

I love this channel.

6 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Where does Ferguson rate on the Bills all time QB list ?

Likely 3rd best behind Josh and Jim. I could debate Jack because of the AFL Championships but he didn't have Fergy's career length. 

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And likely never will again.

• Like (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

@Chandler#81 thanks so much for sharing.  A few things I noticed.  

1. Chuck Knox loved him some 21 formation.  Lewis and Piccone outside with Gant at TE and Brown and Miller at FB/RB.   Bills ran for almost 200 yards in this game.  Talk about a limited offense.
  2. Swan song season for FS Tony Greene as Jeff Nixon would take over in 1980.  Nixon had a great start to 1980 season before a gruesome knee injury led to Bills signing Bill Simpson, an ex LA Ram to take over.
  3. Never knew why but Bills jettisoned Joe D after 1979 season and brought in Conrad Dobler at RG.  
  4. Surprised to see Terry Miller rundown on his 75 yard run in this game as tackler was CB from other side of field.  The Bills drafted Joe Cribbs in 1980 essentially ending Miller's NFL career.
  5. Bringing in Cribbs and a rookie TE, Mark Brammer in 1980 really gave the offense some HP in 1980.

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1