Bills Rookie Media Day Mic'd Up DeWayne Carter

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I hope I'm wrong....but this player reminds me of McCargo.  

McCargo couldn't spell his last name if you spotted him the "Cargo".  Carter went to Duke for starters and was a 3 year captain.  McCargo started 10 of 25 games at NC State and had pedestrian numbers, .5 sacks, 24 total tackles, 0 FF, 0 FR.

image.thumb.png.f8cce559e375f87f6890ef70dca9761f.png

Now look at Carter in his 5 years at Duke:

image.thumb.png.24b2ba3742433faec2298d00c8d16c02.png

Not sure where how you formed your opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

So did everyone. Carter will be hated around here I believe. 

He’s got McCargo’s size, Torell Troup’s athleticism, and Dareus’ work ethic.

Is this sarcasm? Or are you really that down on this pick? I'm honestly curious.

I admit, I know almost nothing of his college career, other than the post-draft highlight vids, etc. But, after watching all of his interviews and stuff, I really like the kid. He is mature, a leader, has the Bills DNA, is smart, etc.

It looks like most draft predictions had him as a 4th rounder. We grabbed him at the very end of the 3rd round---not that big a reach, and he probably wouldn't have been there by our 4th round pick.

His strength seems to be interior pass rush, which he can achieve with quickness or bull rush. He's a little weaker standing up in the run game. Was projected to be a rotational DT. Sounds like the perfect guy to have behind Oliver. We won't be asking Carter to plug up the line, but rather to penetrate. And hopefully, he'll get stronger as well, with NFL nutrition, strength & conditioning, etc.

We'll have to wait and see if his skill set/talent is consistently good enough for the NFL, but he certainly won't bust from a lack of effort, intelligence, maturity, drive, mentality, etc. So, I think you're off comparing his work ethic to Dareus. This kid loves ball.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, folz said:

Is this sarcasm? Or are you really that down on this pick? I'm honestly curious.

I admit, I know almost nothing of his college career, other than the post-draft highlight vids, etc. But, after watching all of his interviews and stuff, I really like the kid. He is mature, a leader, has the Bills DNA, is smart, etc.

It looks like most draft predictions had him as a 4th rounder. We grabbed him at the very end of the 3rd round---not that big a reach, and he probably wouldn't have been there by our 4th round pick.

His strength seems to be interior pass rush, which he can achieve with quickness or bull rush. He's a little weaker standing up in the run game. Was projected to be a rotational DT. Sounds like the perfect guy to have behind Oliver. We won't be asking Carter to plug up the line, but rather to penetrate. And hopefully, he'll get stronger as well, with NFL nutrition, strength & conditioning, etc.

We'll have to wait and see if his skill set/talent is consistently good enough for the NFL, but he certainly won't bust from a lack of effort, intelligence, maturity, drive, mentality, etc. So, I think you're off comparing his work ethic to Dareus. This kid loves ball.

Yes it was sarcasm.

I like Carter. I said a few days ago I wanted to hate the pick because of who we passed on but I can’t. He looks solid to me. I think he might impact as a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

McCargo couldn't spell his last name if you spotted him the "Cargo".  Carter went to Duke for starters and was a 3 year captain.  McCargo started 10 of 25 games at NC State and had pedestrian numbers, .5 sacks, 24 total tackles, 0 FF, 0 FR.

image.thumb.png.f8cce559e375f87f6890ef70dca9761f.png

Now look at Carter in his 5 years at Duke:

image.thumb.png.24b2ba3742433faec2298d00c8d16c02.png

Not sure where how you formed your opinion.

That NC State DL also had Mario Williams and Manny Lawson. All 3 played for Buffalo.

Im pretty good with knowing former Bills players. I honestly can’t remember Manny Lawson playing for the Bills. 

He’s got McCargo’s size, Torell Troup’s athleticism, and Dareus’ work ethic.

I believe the phrase “Dareus Work Ethic” is an oxy-moron.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Warriorspikes dropped a deuce in this thread and left us all to discuss how bad it stinks

Oh no! Heaven forbid someone doesn't think a Bills draft pick is an immediate quality player.🙄

I also said I hope I'm wrong 

• Eyeroll 2

43 minutes ago, folz said:

Yeah, that comparison to Dareus?! I don't think you could find two more different NFL players. I mean I liked Marcell for a while, he was entertaining and didn't seem like a bad guy, but Carter's extremely mature, intelligent and purposeful.

11 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I hope I'm wrong....but this player reminds me of McCargo.  

I think one of the characteristics Buffalo really liked about Carter was his ability to anticipate the snap count.  He supposedly has a really quick first step.  That is more reminiscent of Kyle Williams from the same draft class as McCargo.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think one of the characteristics Buffalo really liked about Carter was his ability to anticipate the snap count.  He supposedly has a really quick first step.  That is more reminiscent of Kyle Williams from the same draft class as McCargo.

His get off is very reminiscent of KW. 

Didn't know anything about him...but off the field you can tell he's a high energy guy and smart.  I don't think failure is an option for this guy.  I think he will be a disruptor right off the bat and hopefully get better from there.  It's impossible to know how good he will be.

1 hour ago, Captain_Quint said:

Drums over flats.....my man... 

No way, flats all the way. 

19 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yes it was sarcasm.

I like Carter. I said a few days ago I wanted to hate the pick because of who we passed on but I can’t. He looks solid to me. I think he might impact as a rookie.

Carter is my 2nd favorite pick in this class, top goes to Ray Davis. As both these guys feel like high end depth guys that could start in a pinch.