Chiefs Bills Playoff Replay / Bass Kicking

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He went 35/37 on FGs between middle of his rookie year and mid 2nd season. That is where the impression comes from. 

Not saying it is right or wrong but after some wobbles at the start of his rookie year he then wae pretty excellent for a period and that impression lasts. 

Thanks for that. I never parsed it out that carefully.  So he build his reputation by being elite for effectively one season out of four.

On 5/9/2024 at 12:33 PM, Mark Vader said:

I'm still not concerned about Bass.

Let's see how he does this season, then go from there.

We don't have endless seasons to piss away with Josh in his prime, you know.

The window is closing as I type.  Not this year, not next, but it's closing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Billy Claude said:

Thanks for that. I never parsed it out that carefully.  So he build his reputation by being elite for effectively one season out of four.

It is the old only one chance to make a first impression and while he wobbled early that run from rookie year to sophomore year definitely stands out in minds. It did in mine to be honest. Only when I went back and actually crunched the numbers did I realise once you get beyond that period he has been as you say, above average, not great.

Bass completely lost it later on in the season. Every kick he made was violently breaking right. You could see the guy wasn’t the same and I went from knowing he was going to make it, to not wanting him to be kicking for us. I knew we lost as soon as we didn’t score a TD on that drive because that guy was cooked.

He does not exude confidence to me....and frankly never has....he has not had a lot of big moments.....that kick last year was by far his biggest kick in his career and he shanked it bad.   The Lions game on Thanksgiving to win the game I believe hit the upright but it was good.    The Philly kicker needs a 59 yarder in a rain storm and drains it.....Butker hits all his big kicks.  Tucker is mostly money except in the playoff game vs the Bills which was an anomaly.  There are 13 active kickers with a higher career FG% than Bass.   Not sure his contract was justified but we are stuck with him for now.   Hopefully he can turn it around in big moments next year.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

We don't have endless seasons to piss away with Josh in his prime, you know.

The window is closing as I type.  Not this year, not next, but it's closing.

We don't have endless seasons? Damn! I wish I knew that.

Tyler Bass is holding Josh Allen back. Well, that's a new one.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Just looked up Bass's splits.

He is 17 of 17 in domes/retractable roof stadiums.

82% outdoors.

FWIW.

Then it's settled.... Bills alter new stadium plans and add a roof.  Problem solved.  Win-win. 😉 

Edited by TurfToeJam
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

We don't have endless seasons? Damn! I wish I knew that.

Tyler Bass is holding Josh Allen back. Well, that's a new one.

Why do people do this?

You know darn well the point he is making up but instead of acknowledging it, you twist it into a sarcastic reply that you knew he did not mean.

And his point has merit. It's one thing to give players numerous chances when you are a mediocre 9-7 team. But when you have a franchise QB in their prime, you don't take chances of potentially throwing away an entire season down the gutter due to one players mistakes. And unfortunately, with kickers, those mistakes are magnified.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Why do people do this?

You know darn well the point he is making up but instead of acknowledging it, you twist it into a sarcastic reply that you knew he did not mean.

And his point has merit. It's one thing to give players numerous chances when you are a mediocre 9-7 team. But when you have a franchise QB in their prime, you don't take chances of potentially throwing away an entire season down the gutter due to one players mistakes. And unfortunately, with kickers, those mistakes are magnified.

Give me a break.

His point was argumentative and dramatic. You could make a case for other personnel who are holding Josh Allen back.

To say that Tyler Bass is the reason Josh Allen is being held back, is highly questionable.

Edited by Mark Vader

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Give me a break.

His point was argumentative and dramatic. You could make a case for other personnel who are holding Josh Allen back.

To say that Tyler Bass is the reason Josh Allen is being held back, is highly questionable.

The poster you responded to never said Bass was holding Allen back. He said that its not wise to risk a full season of an elite QB's youth with a risky kicker. You misframed what he said because you wanted to be sarcastic/edgy.

Bass is 70% in the playoffs. He misses 30% of his playoff kicks. That's not good. The posters point was carrying that risk has a relatively high potential of wasting an entire season of positives with one kick.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is the old only one chance to make a first impression and while he wobbled early that run from rookie year to sophomore year definitely stands out in minds. It did in mine to be honest. Only when I went back and actually crunched the numbers did I realise once you get beyond that period he has been as you say, above average, not great.

On the first day of the off-season, if you'd asked me to name overpaid Bills players, Tyler Bass's name probably wouldn't have come to mind. So many other guys ahead of him on that list, that it's easy for Bass to get lost in the shuffle. (At least for me.)

But now that Beane has done such a thorough job of cleansing the roster of overpaid players, Bass's unnecessarily high salary stands out more. If he goes back to kicking the way he did during the good run you mentioned, maybe one could justify a salary like that.

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

Why do people do this?

This is what he said:

"We don't have endless seasons to piss away with Josh in his prime, you know.

The window is closing as I type.  Not this year, not next, but it's closing."

This isn't the least bit dramatic? He did not directly say that Tyler Bass is holding Josh Allen back, yet he implies that Bass is a problem for Allen.

Why else would he bring up Allen?

I think that the Bills have more pressing issues on the team than Kicker. 

I do agree that Bass has had problems with field goals as of late, yet I also know that he is one of the most reliable Kickers in the league when it comes to extra points.

Is it incomprehensible to think that Bass could very well have a rebound year in 2024?

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

This is what he said:

"We don't have endless seasons to piss away with Josh in his prime, you know.

The window is closing as I type.  Not this year, not next, but it's closing."

This isn't the least bit dramatic?

No. It isn't. Drama often comes in two forms. 1) An exaggeration of facts. 2) An exaggerated conclusion.

It's factually accurate to say that Allen only has a limited number of years left before his window starts closing. Nextmanup's conclusion or implication is that the Bills should treat each of those years as precious. If a player would decrease the team's chances of winning a Super Bowl during that window, the Bills might want to think twice about keeping that player. 

Clearly, the Bills had more and bigger problems in the playoff game against the Chiefs than Tyler Bass. I don't think anyone here is trying to hang that loss on him. But it is reasonable to ask, was Bass part of the problem, or was he part of the solution?  When Bass is on his game, he's one of the top kickers in the league. No doubt. I'm sure we all want him to get back to being what he once was. But how much time do we give him? If he fails to improve, there's absolutely a chance he messes with Allen's window. As a Bills fan, I'm well aware of what it's like to have a postseason game come down to the final play, and what it's like to lose that game by a single point due to a missed 47 yard field goal attempt.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

No. It isn't. Drama often comes in two forms. 1) An exaggeration of facts. 2) An exaggerated conclusion.

It's factually accurate to say that Allen only has a limited number of years left before his window starts closing. Nextmanup's conclusion or implication is that the Bills should treat each of those years as precious. If a player would decrease the team's chances of winning a Super Bowl during that window, the Bills might want to think twice about keeping that player. 

Clearly, the Bills had more and bigger problems in the playoff game against the Chiefs than Tyler Bass. I don't think anyone here is trying to hang that loss on him. But it is reasonable to ask, was Bass part of the problem, or was he part of the solution?  When Bass is on his game, he's one of the top kickers in the league. No doubt. I'm sure we all want him to get back to being what he once was. But how much time do we give him? If he fails to improve, there's absolutely a chance he messes with Allen's window. As a Bills fan, I'm well aware of what it's like to have a postseason game come down to the final play, and what it's like to lose that game by a single point due to a missed 47 yard field goal attempt.

Is it factually accurate?  If one looks at the age of SB winning QBs a few were younger than Josh is now, a few around the same age, and some in their 30’s such as Elway, Staubach, Brady, and so on. I would argue the hysteria in some minds about Josh’s window is overblown.  

As for Bass, the impact of a holder is hard to measure.  He has Haack now so we’ll see if that helps.  If not and he continues to struggle they’ll move on.  But assuming they’ll find someone who can kick better in the Ralph with how the wind swirls around in there is a risky assumption.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Is it factually accurate?  If one looks at the age of SB winning QBs a few were younger than Josh is now, a few around the same age, and some in their 30’s such as Elway, Staubach, Brady, and so on. I would argue the hysteria in some minds about Josh’s window is overblown.  

As for Bass, the impact of a holder is hard to measure.  He has Haack now so we’ll see if that helps.  If not and he continues to struggle they’ll move on.  But assuming they’ll find someone who can kick better in the Ralph with how the wind swirls around in there is a risky assumption.

Is it factually accurate? Yes. It is accurate to say that there is a limit to the number of years Allen has left. We don't know what that limit is. Andrew Luck is an example of a franchise QB who retired early and had a short career. Tom Brady is an example of arguably the best QB ever, who had a very long career. Even if you want to go full bore optimist, and make the argument Allen's career will be as long as Brady's, that's still an upper limit on the number of years Josh has left. As for "hysteria" about Josh's window: there hasn't been any in this thread. Maybe there's been some elsewhere?

As for the impact of a holder, I agree with you.

12 minutes ago, Rampant Buffalo said:

Is it factually accurate? Yes. It is accurate to say that there is a limit to the number of years Allen has left. We don't know what that limit is. Andrew Luck is an example of a franchise QB who retired early and had a short career. Tom Brady is an example of arguably the best QB ever, who had a very long career. Even if you want to go full bore optimist, and make the argument Allen's career will be as long as Brady's, that's still an upper limit on the number of years Josh has left. As for "hysteria" about Josh's window: there hasn't been any in this thread. Maybe there's been some elsewhere?

As for the impact of a holder, I agree with you.

Definite hysteria elsewhere, not here.  I tried to word it that way.  I guess I just don’t swear kickers that much.  If Bass doesn’t do better they’ll make a change.  And I think as Josh gets older he will get wiser, not run as much, take check downs when they’re there, and have a good 10 more years of stellar play.