Chiefs Bills Playoff Replay / Bass Kicking

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

He may have not been the reason we lost, but he certainly didn’t help. He also kept the Steelers in the game with a 27 yard duck hook. You can’t let kickers crush your soul and don’t get emotionally tied to a kicker. They should be automatic.

Operative word being "should". Not every Kicker is going to be automatic.

16 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Do you think he can rebound?

So, are you saying that Bass is done as a Kicker? His career is over and the Bills should get rid of him this season?

I hope he can

My issue isn't w bass per se as it is I see him as emblematic of this FO's tendency to overpay for 'their guys' 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, harmonkillebrew said:

Agree. Something was off with Bass last year. And I don't know how easily a kicker regains his confidence.

McD seemed to lose confidence in him as the year went along - rarely going for 50+yds - and it culminated with that final kick.

They once said Haack was the best holder in the game, maybe Martin isn't (with Haack holding in 2021, Bills' kicker Tyler Bass posted a career-best 87.5 success rate on field goals and made all 51 extra-point attempts.). So I guess by bringing Haack back to compete, they're trying to address that issue.

I don't know, Bass should be a little more resilient. 

If the Bills are going to play a plodding, ball control style of offense they absolutely need an automatic kicker. They can't chew up 8 mins of the clock and then shank a FG.  There is absolutely no room for error with that style of O and there is really no room for error in the playoffs either against quality teams. Your kicker can be the difference between losing in the division round every year to bringing home a few Lombardis. Just ask Tom Brady

Full agreement 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Operative word being "should". Not every Kicker is going to be automatic.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, KC, Miami, Dallas and Vegas all have better kickers than Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RiotAct said:

yeah, there’s zero doubt in my mind we lose that game on a last-second FG by the Chiefs even if Bass makes ours.

I totally agree but Bass still has to make that clutch kick to at least tie the game. He was 40% in the playoffs which usually gets you fired. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

Full agreement 

Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, KC, Miami, Dallas and Vegas all have better kickers than Buffalo.

To compare.....

FG%

Brandon Aubrey* 94.7

Justin Tucker  90.2

Harrison Butker  89.1

Daniel Carlson  88

Chris Boswell  87.2

Jake Elliott  86.2

Tyler Bass  84.9

Jason Sanders  83.3

XP%

Justin Tucker  98.7

Jason Sanders  98.3

Tyler Bass  97.6

Jake Elliott  95.8

Chris Boswell   94.8

Harrison Butker  94.5

Brandon Aubrey*  94.2

Daniel Carlson  88.3

Brandon Aubrey has played only one season in the NFL.

Bass is in the lower rung of the top Kickers when it comes to Field Goals. However, he is one of the best when it comes to Extra Points.

No question that he can be a lot better at field goals. I'm just willing to give him another season before thinking of replacing him.

32 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

To compare.....

FG%

Brandon Aubrey* 94.7

Justin Tucker  90.2

Harrison Butker  89.1

Daniel Carlson  88

Chris Boswell  87.2

Jake Elliott  86.2

Tyler Bass  84.9

Jason Sanders  83.3

XP%

Justin Tucker  98.7

Jason Sanders  98.3

Tyler Bass  97.6

Jake Elliott  95.8

Chris Boswell   94.8

Harrison Butker  94.5

Brandon Aubrey*  94.2

Daniel Carlson  88.3

Bass is in the lower rung of the top Kickers when it comes to Field Goals. However, he is one of the best when it comes to Extra Points.

No question that he can be a lot better at field goals. I'm just willing to give him another season before thinking of replacing him.

Why are you defending Bass? He sucks and do you deny that your ass doesn’t pucker when he’s got an important kick. Give it up he’s just a kicker. We can get a more dependable version.

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Why are you defending Bass? He sucks and do you deny that your ass doesn’t pucker when he’s got an important kick. Give it up he’s just a kicker. We can get a more dependable version.

I think he's earned the chance to be the Kicker for another season. If he screws up, then you can seriously consider getting another Kicker.

That's all.

Let me ask you, who is this more dependable version of a Kicker that the Bills can get? You obviously have a player in mind, no?

49 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

This was painful to watch. After that final 1st down I thought, "Wow, were going to milk the clock cause we wore them down."

Nope.

This part hurt more than the missed fg tbh. 

51 minutes ago, FieldGeneral said:

This was painful to watch. After that final 1st down I thought, "Wow, were going to milk the clock cause we wore them down."

Nope.

It really looked like we were going to march down the field and get a touchdown. Damn!

54 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

To compare.....

FG%

Brandon Aubrey* 94.7

Justin Tucker  90.2

Harrison Butker  89.1

Daniel Carlson  88

Chris Boswell  87.2

Jake Elliott  86.2

Tyler Bass  84.9

Jason Sanders  83.3

XP%

Justin Tucker  98.7

Jason Sanders  98.3

Tyler Bass  97.6

Jake Elliott  95.8

Chris Boswell   94.8

Harrison Butker  94.5

Brandon Aubrey*  94.2

Daniel Carlson  88.3

Almost all of these guys seemed to have at least one bad season, where their FG percentage plummeted (Carlson had a season where he was 73%; Tucker had one where he was 82%; butler had one when he was 75%; sanders had a few where he was around 75%; same with Boswell).

so, seems like it is not uncommon for a kicker to have a slump season, and then rebound. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I think he's earned the chance to be the Kicker for another season. If he screws up, then you can seriously consider getting another Kicker.

That's all.

Let me ask you, who is this more dependable version of a Kicker that the Bills can get? You obviously have a player in mind, no?

If fans have misgivings about a kicker heading into the season, you would think Beane has some trepidation about Bass. It’s up to him to bring in some plan B. If he doesn’t and Bass implodes we have to question the McDermott/Beane competence. There’s players in the UFL, undrafted free agents and kickers that get cut that can compete. 

12 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

If fans have misgivings about a kicker heading into the season, you would think Beane has some trepidation about Bass. It’s up to him to bring in some plan B. If he doesn’t and Bass implodes we have to question the McDermott/Beane competence. There’s players in the UFL, undrafted free agents and kickers that get cut that can compete. 

Who's to say that the Bills won't bring in any players from the UFL once their season is completed?

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 12:07 PM, 947 said:

There had to be an injury we don't know about to go from nailing 55+ yarders to punting instead of attempting 49 yarders.

I liked Josh’s chances converting the 4th down opposed to kicking a FG w/ an (allegedly) injured kicker who nearly missed 2 XPs already. I think Josh went for the big play knowing the kicker would tie the game as worst case. If it was do or die, he absolutely would’ve put the team on his back to get it. I remember how many people were saying how shaky Bass was looking including myself in the game thread. I fully expected him to miss. I was not surprised in the least bit, it was as Billsy as they come. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Agree 1

I am pretty convinced there was a minor injury issue with Bass that lingered all year last year. He was never himself and the Bills were way more conservative using him than they have been in the past whereby anything within 55 they were willing to try. Then he missed kicks and I think his confidence dipped. 

Kickers are funny beasts year to year. They can have down years then rebound and be among the best in the league the next year. I think that is the Bills hope and if there was an injury niggle then I understand that thinking. 

But if he struggles in year next year they need to be willing to pull the chord in season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 2:25 AM, Billy Claude said:

I think he was between 10th and 15th rank kicker each year so above average is an accurate classification.  I never understood the Bassamatic business.

He went 35/37 on FGs between middle of his rookie year and mid 2nd season. That is where the impression comes from. 

Not saying it is right or wrong but after some wobbles at the start of his rookie year he then wae pretty excellent for a period and that impression lasts. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1