NFL is coming for your drones!

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

Just so people know, it is illegal to fly a drone within three nautical miles from any stadium having a capacity of 30,000 or more from one hour prior to scheduled start until one hour after.

Many other events trigger what are called Temporary Flight Restrictions, which also prohibit drone operations. Obvious ones would include Presidential appearances, but  there are many others.

You can request a waiver from the FAA for any number of requests, but it would never be granted in this case.

Regarding size and registration, if it weighs more than .55 lbs, it must be registered.

I can't imagine anything worth flying, or having any capability weighing less than that. The battery weighs that much.

If someone does it, local law enforcement can stop it, use the FAA's Law Enforcement Assistance Program to report it, and the FAA can pursue certificate or even criminal action. The NFL wants local police to have authority for enforcement.

The NFL has had many games delayed because of this, and it is extremely dangerous.  In most cases the drones were not registered, so flying them anywhere would have been a violation, let alone within the temp flight restricted area of an NFL stadium.

While battery power is an issue for sure, the lightweight (under 250 gm) drone market is massive--and likely the majority of these incursions are this small, untraceable drones.  It's difficult to understand how even local LE could intervene.  You would have to put the drone with it's owner.  unless you could spot the operator in the act of illegally operating the drone, how do you catch them?

45 minutes ago, Chaos said:

"Is coming for" suggests you think the NFL is doing something wrong, by asking for help to combat already illegal activity.  Unless you support the illegal activity is is an odd way to phrase it. 

No one is arguing this.

The league isn't "doing something wrong" by prohibiting tailgating at the SB or placing games on streaming services or playing games in London or charging PSLs either...but this place loves hating on "the NFL".  just feeding the machine....

And the NFL certainly  tolerates "illegal activity" in their ranks, wouldn't you agree?  

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

Just so people know, it is illegal to fly a drone within three nautical miles from any stadium having a capacity of 30,000 or more from one hour prior to scheduled start until one hour after.

Many other events trigger what are called Temporary Flight Restrictions, which also prohibit drone operations. Obvious ones would include Presidential appearances, but  there are many others.

You can request a waiver from the FAA for any number of requests, but it would never be granted in this case.

Regarding size and registration, if it weighs more than .55 lbs, it must be registered.

I can't imagine anything worth flying, or having any capability weighing less than that. The battery weighs that much.

If someone does it, local law enforcement can stop it, use the FAA's Law Enforcement Assistance Program to report it, and the FAA can pursue certificate or even criminal action. The NFL wants local police to have authority for enforcement.

The NFL has had many games delayed because of this, and it is extremely dangerous.  In most cases the drones were not registered, so flying them anywhere would have been a violation, let alone within the temp flight restricted area of an NFL stadium.

when you're ready a have a number for you to call.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

While battery power is an issue for sure, the lightweight (under 250 gm) drone market is massive--and likely the majority of these incursions are this small, untraceable drones.  It's difficult to understand how even local LE could intervene.  You would have to put the drone with it's owner.  unless you could spot the operator in the act of illegally operating the drone, how do you catch them?

No one is arguing this.

The league isn't "doing something wrong" by prohibiting tailgating at the SB or placing games on streaming services or playing games in London or charging PSLs either...but this place loves hating on "the NFL".  just feeding the machine....

And the NFL certainly  tolerates "illegal activity" in their ranks, wouldn't you agree?  

one of the outcomes of several things going on in this country is that organizations like the FAA and FBI are actively becoming policing agencies. They're not. They were never meant to be. They never should be. The IRS is the absolute worst.

The local law enforcement just wants more justification to encroach on the liberties of the people. like you said, it's entirely unenforceable to pursue these small Amazon drones that people fly. its also not in the best interest of the community to worry about the tailgate party taking a few fun shots of the table jumps or beer bongs.

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, boyst said:

one of the outcomes of several things going on in this country is that organizations like the FAA and FBI are actively becoming policing agencies. They're not. They were never meant to be. They never should be. The IRS is the absolute worst.

The local law enforcement just wants more justification to encroach on the liberties of the people. like you said, it's entirely unenforceable to pursue these small Amazon drones that people fly. its also not in the best interest of the community to worry about the tailgate party taking a few fun shots of the table jumps or beer bongs.

I disagree.  Someone has to police this---and the FAA is, despite what you say, not in the policing business.  As you pointed out, a large chunk of "reporting" is done by the perpetrators themselves ("I have a number for you to call").

Who else is going to catch a person droning illegally?  It's not the FAA, it's the LE officer on patrol, as it should be.

Also, FBI is law enforcement, so they have always been a "policing agency".

1 hour ago, boyst said:

Bull manure.  When a drone hovers over your backyard, somebody is spying on you ... just like some pervert peeking in your window.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Bull manure.  When a drone hovers over your backyard, somebody is spying on you ... just like some pervert peeking in your window.

And, for the most part it is legal. As long as they are not looking into private spaces like bathrooms and windows there is little to nothing that can be done. Local law enforcement, like any law enforcement, always wants more power. 

Edited by boyst

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 9:19 AM, Mr. WEO said:

LOL

You can see it now, parking lots with way more cars and hundreds of drones over the stadium as fans watch from the lots.  Drones buzzing down to where the wire-cam is.  

It'd be fun to be in a light tower with a radio to shoot down drones with a high-velocity pellet gun upon request.  

On 5/9/2024 at 10:11 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Does this also apply to flying over the New Stadium construction site? 😉

Once it's finished, if we only had a dome we wouldn't have to worry about drones.  

9 hours ago, sherpa said:

Thanks!

We'll all keep our drones in our pants.   

Unlike this guy ... 

https://www.reddit.com/r/buffalobills/comments/3vqdg7/bills_fans_get_it_on_in_the_parking_lot_while/

Edited by PBF81

I'm surprised the NFL isn't lobbying Congress to allow them to assess and collect a drone flying license fee, equivalent to a PSL, from anyone flying their drones over/near an NFL stadium.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chaos said:

"Is coming for" suggests you think the NFL is doing something wrong, by asking for help to combat already illegal activity.  Unless you support the illegal activity is is an odd way to phrase it. 

LOL if the nfl is going to the government for something, im 99% sure theres something more grimey hiding behind the face of 'trying to keep the game fair.'

i could be totally wrong here, but its like a wife whos cheated 10xs, then wants to go visit her gramma, and the husband has a million questions. even though this time everything is on the up and up, its her fault for creating the distrust.

the nfl is the wretched harlot in this analogy 🤣

• Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

this is the surface level type crap argument they'll give. just a "little" privacy or freedom in exchange for your freedom! theyre nickle and diming your freedom to death. its amazing ppl cant see or feel the walls closing in.  we've basically launched SkyNet against American citizens. i cant wait till i get my state issued CBDC card so i can have meat 2x's a month!  hopefully we'll be safe from terrorism then!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/9/2024 at 1:03 PM, Mr. WEO said:

yes, but my guess is that these are not commercial drones, but those under 250 grams, who's operators are  not licensed and who's drones don't need registration.

I believe all drones are now required to be equipped with individual ID modules ( i own a DJI mini , below 250 gms and new laws require id transmission which is public info and its possible to walk right up to a drone user by using a well publicized app; hence drone owners are fearful of attacks from those not aware the air space is regulated by the FAA only. It’s relatively New legislation that was just recently activated after taking a couple years to pass ) , so the days of drones flying incognito are gone.  The poster with his commercial license can prob verify this. Certainly , guys are trying things to get around this law., but anyone using drones to make income , even just posting on a YouTube channel , must be licensed and follow the required ID transmission or face large fines if caught and YouTube has lots of examples of drone users being heavily fined for noncompliance.  It’s similar to medical board disciplinary action, ignorance is not an excuse. 

It has always been against the law to fly over stadiums in use, crowds, traffic etc.   The less than 250 gm drones are fitted with 4k resolution cameras, and I’m not sure , but have not seen drones that small and low price range  with great telephoto lenses , which would be the only way to film all 22 type film , as the operator would have to be no where close to being over a crowd like game or practice time. Plus if you modify those drones at all , they almost always then weigh more than 250 gm , and for example, if it goes down and local police confiscate and weigh it , it doesn’t matter that it originally was under 250 gms as they go by current weight and if the operator isn’t fully licensed, drone registered properly with the FAA, and now have the new ID transmission, the operator is in serious trouble. It has become really hard to just fly an unregistered drone as a simple hobby with all the regulation and all the KARENS out there causing everyone of spying on them and invading their privacy. 

It just seems weird or hard to believe this is some really prevalent issue for the NFL.  The NFL must be experiencing some other issue , or facing enough large commercial drone operator numbers who would have the sophisticated cameras to capture all 22 type data from far away or just breaking existing laws to film, to be lobbying (buying senators)  for additional regulation.  Apparently billions of revenue just isn’t enough , and they will chase any $!     With belicheck out of the league , it’s hard to fathom teams would be that desperate to be using drones illegally in large quantities just to gain an edge. This league and its owners are progressively getting more paranoid!   With all the public paranoia, i rarely fly my DJI mini any longer; just not worth the hassle and if not being compliant with all the laws, you  can now face fines of several thousand dollars.  Local laws can already control where it is legal TO LAUNCH FROM, thus over stepping FAA air space control,  so this just seems like classic NFL overreaction. 

Honestly, I don't think it's an overreach at all, nor do I think it has anything to do with revenue capture.

I think it is a safety issue.

These things are very dangerous.

The props are spinning at thousands of rpm, and there's four of them.

As I stated, I've seen them cut through small branches.

Thousands of these things have crashed on first flights because people don't know how to operate them.

If one crashed into a stadium, it is almost a guarantee someone could be hurt, and I'm not going to discuss the potential weaponizing of them.

There are also technical issues.

They work by remote signalling.

Those frequencies are limited.

Get a few of them in the same area using the same freqs, but controlled by disparate, unknown operators and you get the picture.

The other issue is that the NFL stops games when an unknown drone is over a stadium.

That would significantly disrupt their product.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

this is the surface level type crap argument they'll give. just a "little" privacy or freedom in exchange for your freedom! theyre nickle and diming your freedom to death. its amazing ppl cant see or feel the walls closing in.  we've basically launched SkyNet against American citizens. i cant wait till i get my state issued CBDC card so i can have meat 2x's a month!  hopefully we'll be safe from terrorism then!!!

what freedoms are losing over this?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I believe all drones are now required to be equipped with individual ID modules ( i own a DJI mini , below 250 gms and new laws require id transmission which is public info and its possible to walk right up to a drone user by using a well publicized app; hence drone owners are fearful of attacks from those not aware the air space is regulated by the FAA only. It’s relatively New legislation that was just recently activated after taking a couple years to pass ) , so the days of drones flying incognito are gone.  The poster with his commercial license can prob verify this. Certainly , guys are trying things to get around this law., but anyone using drones to make income , even just posting on a YouTube channel , must be licensed and follow the required ID transmission or face large fines if caught and YouTube has lots of examples of drone users being heavily fined for noncompliance.  It’s similar to medical board disciplinary action, ignorance is not an excuse. 

It has always been against the law to fly over stadiums in use, crowds, traffic etc.   The less than 250 gm drones are fitted with 4k resolution cameras, and I’m not sure , but have not seen drones that small and low price range  with great telephoto lenses , which would be the only way to film all 22 type film , as the operator would have to be no where close to being over a crowd like game or practice time. Plus if you modify those drones at all , they almost always then weigh more than 250 gm , and for example, if it goes down and local police confiscate and weigh it , it doesn’t matter that it originally was under 250 gms as they go by current weight and if the operator isn’t fully licensed, drone registered properly with the FAA, and now have the new ID transmission, the operator is in serious trouble. It has become really hard to just fly an unregistered drone as a simple hobby with all the regulation and all the KARENS out there causing everyone of spying on them and invading their privacy. 

It just seems weird or hard to believe this is some really prevalent issue for the NFL.  The NFL must be experiencing some other issue , or facing enough large commercial drone operator numbers who would have the sophisticated cameras to capture all 22 type data from far away or just breaking existing laws to film, to be lobbying (buying senators)  for additional regulation.  Apparently billions of revenue just isn’t enough , and they will chase any $!     With belicheck out of the league , it’s hard to fathom teams would be that desperate to be using drones illegally in large quantities just to gain an edge. This league and its owners are progressively getting more paranoid!   With all the public paranoia, i rarely fly my DJI mini any longer; just not worth the hassle and if not being compliant with all the laws, you  can now face fines of several thousand dollars.  Local laws can already control where it is legal TO LAUNCH FROM, thus over stepping FAA air space control,  so this just seems like classic NFL overreaction. 

Current FAA rues for under 250 gram:

§ 48.15 Requirement to register.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft that is eligible for registration under 49 U.S.C. 44101-44103 unless one of the following criteria has been satisfied:

(a) The owner has registered and marked the aircraft in accordance with this part;

(b) The aircraft is operated exclusively in compliance with 49 U.S.C. 44809 and weighs 0.55 pounds or less on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft; or

(c) The aircraft is an aircraft of the Armed Forces of the United States.

44809. Exception for limited recreational oper ations of unmanned aircraft (a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in sub section (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may oper ate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the oper ation adheres to all of the following limitations: (1) The aircraft is flown strictly for rec reational purposes. (2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a commu nity-based organization’s set of safety guide lines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Your mini DJI (I have one too) needs no registration.  I see no reg requiring non-commercial use drones under 250 grams requiring Remote ID.  Although DJI is buiding it into a lot of their drones (mostly over 250gm).

The issue for the NFL is games are delayed when drones are overhead.

On 5/9/2024 at 8:29 AM, BarleyNY said:

I have wondered about teams using drones and AI. Rumors about Jim Harbaugh’s recent cheating at Michigan included AI use. The speed at which AI works enabled them to (allegedly) make significant halftime adjustments. It’s not a stretch to think NFL teams are doing the same. Coincidentally, he has a very successful brother coaching the Ravens and I seem to remember an issue with a drone during one of their playoff games. Honestly, if teams are not already optimizing play calls and game plans through AI, then they’re probably behind the curve. Adding real time filming (drone or otherwise) is obviously against the rules, but I don’t see where AI use is. And I don’t know how teams could be caught even if it was. 

I'm looking forward to the future

hqdefault.jpg

• Like (+1) 1