Warren Sharp - Josh Allen 2nd ranked QB in the "Gotta Have It" clutch drives since 2000

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Only QB higher is Joe Burrow. "Gotta Have It" drives are drives where they are trailing with under 5 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

Lamar Jackson was 3rd, which means this HAS to be a regular season stat, Brady was 4th and Mahomes was 5th.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lamar-jackson-better-clutch-than-patrick-mahomes-tom-brady-past-five-seasons-analytics

But this exactly what makes last season’s playoff loss to the chefs so disturbing.

We had Josh Allen. We had the ball. We had four minutes left. It should have been our game.

We had no one who could get open. No one that could make a play but Josh Allen. We were throwing the ball to Ty Johnson for cripe’s sake. That’s why we lost the game…. No weapons….

15 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

2 guys were wide open on the next to last play. Hit the right guy and winning was almost assured. Maybe if it was a regular season game like this list of clutch drives it would’ve been different. 

• Vomit 1

18 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

2 guys were wide open on the next to last play. Hit the right guy and winning was almost assured. Maybe if it was a regular season game like this list of clutch drives it would’ve been different. 

Epa eliminates all that noise

Like how missing a game extending FG doesn't mean your QB isn't clutch 

23 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Epa eliminates all that noise

Like how missing a game extending FG doesn't mean your QB isn't clutch 

I didn’t say Allen isn’t clutch. I was responding to the ‘no one could get open’ part. 

47 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

im guessing if this list doesnt include playoff games its the reason hes not first overall

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

He threw a TD to Shakir, Chris Jones just pushed Dawkins into his shoulder when he was throwing and the ball ended up short.  That's life. Jones makes those plays every single game in the playoffs for them it seems. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the defense.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He threw a TD to Shakir, Chris Jones just pushed Dawkins into his shoulder when he was throwing and the ball ended up short.  That's life. Jones makes those plays every single game in the playoffs for them it seems. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the defense.

I know that play has been re-litigated to death but I'm still mostly upset at our coaching staff for leaving Chris Jones 1v1 on a designed shot play. We got the coverage we wanted, it was a TD waiting to happen, Allen just needed another half second. These small details in critical moments is why we can't get over the hump and that falls on coaching.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know that play has been re-litigated to death but I'm still mostly upset at our coaching staff for leaving Chris Jones 1v1 on a designed shot play. We got the coverage we wanted, it was a TD waiting to happen, Allen just needed another half second. These small details in critical moments is why we can't get over the hump and that falls on coaching.

Moments like this is not all on the coaches.  Morse and Allen could have adjusted the blocking scheme.

I'd like Josh to take charge more of things like this.  He's a willy vet now.

Here may be another way to look at it:

In games decided by 0-7 points,

Allen - 21-23 record; 61 TD, 43 Int, 240 YPG, 83.5 rating

Mahomes - 33-17 record, 114 TD, 35 Int, 304 YPG, 99.1 rating

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

im guessing if this list doesnt include playoff games its the reason hes not first overall

If he’s first overall with the ball last in the playoffs we’d win a championship by now. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Here may be another way to look at it:

In games decided by 0-7 points,

Allen - 21-23 record; 61 TD, 43 Int, 240 YPG, 83.5 rating

Mahomes - 33-17 record, 114 TD, 35 Int, 304 YPG, 99.1 rating

This is just it. You can manipulate any stats you want to show a particular guy is good or bad. The ultimate stat for a qb is playoffs wins and championships. Not much stock can be put on a stat list that has Lamar that high up above Mahomes and Brady. Eyes don’t lie. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

We all know what the problem really is and it’s McDermotts bend & break defenses. It’s been the same story for years. The Lamar Jackson of defenses, great regular season stats, but chokes when it matters most. People act like a shiny new WR is going to change that 

true, but v the chiefs last year, McD’s D miraculously came up with three straight stops in the fourth that could have won the game if Diggs does not drop the ball.  One, Poyer caused fumble, second the third down stop taken away by bogus penalty, and third the stop on third down.  

Posted (edited)

Given we have never won a game from more than 4 points behind in the playoffs,  I was curious how we performed against teams with winning records in the regular season. 

Condition 1 Buffalo has the ball with a drive concluding under 2 minutes

Condition 2: The team they faced finished with a winning regular season record

Condition 3: Excluded the Eagles (2023) and Chiefs (13 seconds) Multiple lead changes late. We lost these games but we took the lead on late drives. Little the offense could do. 

After you remove the Eagles and Chiefs game, all 18 of the remaining games concluded based on the final score. So if we did score, we won. If we didn't score we lost. No situations left in which we scored and then lost later (outside of the 3 OT games)

What is left.....

-18 times this situation has occurred since Allen joined the Bills. We have gone 7-11 in those games (but 5-3 over the last two years)

-Three times we have tied the game with a FG and lost in OT after having at least one possession

-In two of the games we have scored a TD and not a FG  

Game winning FG Titans (9-7) Successful 

Pick 6 to break Tie, Failed follow up Texans (11-5) Not Successful

Interception, Patriots (12-4)  Not Successful

Turnover on Downs Baltimore (14-2) Not Successful

Turnover on Downs Patriots (14-2) Not Successful

Game tying FG, Failed OT Drive Houston (11-6) Not Successful

Game winning TD Rams (10-6) Successful 

Turnover on Downs Titans (12-5) Not Successful

Turnover on Downs Patriots (10-7) Not Successful

Game tying FG, Failed OT Drive Tampa Bay (13-4) Not Successful

Turnover on Downs Dolphins (9-8) Not Successful

Game winning FG Ravens (10-7) Successful 

Game winning TD Chiefs (14-3) Successful 

Game tying FG, Failed OT Drive Minnesota (13-4) Not Successful

Game winning FG Lions (9-8) Successful 

Game winning FG Dolphins (9-8) Successful 

Game winning FG Chiefs (11-6) Successful 

Missed FG Chiefs (11-6)  Not Successful

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Did you forget 13 seconds? 

Not at all. Allen was phenomenal. But that’s one out the 5 times we’ve been eliminated. I still remember the look on his face after KC tied it up. Total disbelief. That’s why this last playoffs loss hurt extra. It could’ve been a redemption game. The narrative would’ve changed completely with regards to KC. Had them on the ropes. Just couldn’t finish. Oh well maybe next year. 

50 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

Just couldn’t finish. Oh well maybe next year. 

Same exact coaching staff is back so I very much doubt it, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. This coaching staff has a history of choking in the playoffs when we have a lead. They don't finish. Eventually you just have to accept that's who they are.

The main difference between us and KC is that on the critical play of the game, they don't have a miscommunication between their special teams coach and their kicker. They don't leave their opponent's best defensive player 1v1. In those critical moments they are completely buttoned up, and that's where we fall behind more than anything.