Rest in Peace Joe Collier

Posted (edited)

My earliest Bills memories were Collier's 1966 Bills who lost AFL Championship at home to KC, who went on to lose to Packers in first Super Bowl.  Prior to that season, Collier was Bills DC.

In 1967 the Bills only won 4 games, and after an 0-2 start in 1968, Collier was fired.

RIP Joe!

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I recall hearing how difficult it was on the Collier family when he presided over the downslide of that Bills dynasty. Buffalo is a tough town.

I'm glad that Collier resurrected his career and reputation after leaving the Bills.

By all accounts he was a very decent person and excellent football coach.

RIP.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

He lived in North Tonawanda (my hometown) a street away from me. I had a crush on his daughter in elementary school and walked her home every day. They had a blue station wagon, adorned with Bills logos. She took me downstairs to her Dads office to meet him as he was watching film of the Bills. Awesome experience for an 11 y/o fan! Sadly, they moved to Colorado the next year.

The One who got away..
R.I.P. Coach. Thank you for the memories.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 11
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I was at that home game against the Raiders which was Joe Collier's last in Buffalo. 

The Bills had been a champion caliber team a couple of years prior to 1968.

Collier was on a short leash after a sub-par 1967 season, so two games into the 1968 season, and following a blowout at the hands of the Raiders, he was released. 

The fans were singing, "goodbye Collier, goodbye Joe, goodbye Collier, we're glad to see you go'.  

One of my vivid memories is walking next to the Raiders defensive end, handlebar mustached, 6' 8" Ben Davidson. It was along side the snow fence that separated the fans from the field in tiny War Memorial Stadium.  Our seats were close to the field on the visitor side. I'd never seen a human being that huge.

Earlier, we had had given a ride to the game for the wife of one of the assistant coaches.  I still wonder if the coaches suspected or were given a hint that it might be the end for the coaching staff if the Bills lost.  

Fortunately for Collier, he was able to carve out a nice career in the NFL as a defensive coordinator. R.I.P.

• Like (+1) 6

His defenses in Buffalo '64 and '65 were stellar. In fairness, when he took over as Head Coach in 1966, the Bills were on the decline. After the loss to the Chiefs in the 1966 AFL Championship, the Bills won four games in "67, and only one game in '68, which is how they got OJ.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

His defenses in Buffalo '64 and '65 were stellar. In fairness, when he took over as Head Coach in 1966, the Bills were on the decline. After the loss to the Chiefs in the 1966 AFL Championship, the Bills won four games in "67, and only one game in '68, which is how they got OJ.

Lou Saban left the team just as it was getting old, and Collier (I always thought his name was Joel, not Joe, but whatever) got handed the mess on the slide into obscurity.  Not his fault.  The Bills defenses were really outstanding, in part to Collier but also the front office who found players like Sestak, Maguire, Jacobs, Byrd, Edgerson, Janik, Saimes, Day, and McDole.  Sixty years later I can still remember the names of the players on that team.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoMAn said:

I was at that home game against the Raiders which was Joe Collier's last in Buffalo. 

Collier was on a short leash after a sub-par 1967 season, so two games into the 1968 season, and following a blowout at the hands of the Raiders, he was released. 

The fans were singing, "goodbye Collier, goodbye Joe, goodbye Collier, we're glad to see you go'.  

One of my vivid memories is walking next to the Raiders defensive end, handlebar mustached, 6' 8" Ben Davidson. It was along side the snow fence that separated the fans from the field in tiny War Memorial Stadium.  Our seats were close to the field on the visitor side. I'd never seen a human being that huge.

Earlier, we had had given a ride to the game for the wife of one of the assistant coaches.  I still wonder if the coaches suspected or were given a hint that it might be the end for the coaching staff if the Bills lost.  

Fortunately for Collier, he was able to carve out a nice career in the NFL as a defensive coordinator. R.I.P.

Was at that game too, very ugly day and season that followed!

1 hour ago, amprov56 said:

Was at that game too, very ugly day and season that followed!

I hear what you’re saying, but what you are really telling me is that you now get senior discounts. 😉
The old Rockpile is where the seeds of Bills fandom (fanaticism)were planted. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I hear what you’re saying, but what you are really telling me is that you now get senior discounts. 😉
The old Rockpile is where the seeds of Bills fandom (fanaticism)were planted. 

It sure does, I listened to my first Bills game on the radio, blizzard outside so I stayed in and listen to Van call the 1963 playoff game. My family held season tickets from 1960 until the late 1990's, my first games in 1966, both against the Chiefs and both games they smoked us including the 1966 Championship game. Did not see the Bills win until Miami in 1967! Loved the old AFL!

Edited by amprov56
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I remember his first name as Joel.  Good coach, I had hoped he would stay longer.

That's his real 1st name, but he hated losing so much he dropped the L.  

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoMAn said:

That's an awesome story.  Just picturing everything in my head gave me a big rush.  I was just a toddler.  But life in that era and through the 70's was so different then today's world.  Very cool stuff.  

Speaking of Ben Davidson, I was partying on Rush Street in Chicago in the winter of 1987 after graduating college.  Me and some buddies were drinking at a bar and we met big Ben Davidson.  Took pictures with him while he was promoting his Miller Lite Schtick.  Huge man.  And very friendly.  Great memories.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, amprov56 said:

It sure does, I listened to my first Bills game on the radio, blizzard outside so I stayed in and listen to Van call the 1963 playoff game. My family held season tickets from 1960 until the late 1990's, my first games in 1966, both against the Chiefs and both games they smoked us including the 1966 Championship game. Did not see the Bills win until Miami in 1967! Loved the old AFL!

That is the first game I can remember as a kid.  My parents and older brothers were fixed around the radio.

The start of the 1964 season, I was hooked.

• Like (+1) 1