Coleman Route Speeds

Just now, eball said:

If all you are using to base that comment on is his combine 40 time, you should be ashamed of yourself.

It's not. If you read any of my posts it's based on game film of him never separating from db's. They are on him like discount coats from Macy's 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

It's another piece of the puzzle. We don't need to know his 40 time to know that he's slow. Watch the tape how the db is with him step for step on any route longer than 10 yards 

Okay, you hate the pick. We get it. I guess the only way to get separation and catch balls is to be sub 4.3 speed like MAYBE MHJ is but won't actually be timed.

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

As soon as anyone doesn't "support the thing" people get out their pitch forks rather than consider different view points

And as soon as anyone brings some new information to the table (like data on Coleman's actual route speeds), those who called him slow dig their heels in further rather than opening up to the possibility there is something else to consider.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

It's not. If you read any of my posts it's based on game film of him never separating from db's. They are on him like discount coats from Macy's 

So what, he will out catch the coat and if not be getting PI penalties. We wont care about separation when he is catching the ball. Diggs didn't constantly seperate. And the 1/2 of the year he would likely drop it if he had.

9 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

As soon as anyone doesn't "support the thing" people get out their pitch forks rather than consider different view points

So let me see...you're frustrated that people are not wallowing in the negative viewpoint end of the pool where you swim 365 days a year on everything Bills related?  Maybe...just maybe...if you were not the one who has like a 100% success right of putting a negative emoticons on every post here that has any positivity to it what so ever and only ever liking ones that support a negative view point others might actually discuss more rationally your view points.  

Bottom line is pretty simple with Coleman...if you line him up with a faster corner and just say go deep in a straight line, he isn't going to run past him.  But that doesn't mean he doesn't have the speed to still be a deep ball guy, the speed to get open, the speed to be a great WR1 in the NFL.  

He is fast enough and as fast or faster than many of the best WR's of the last 10 years.  Whether he will develop the technique and skills to reach his potential is still to be seen, but there is a reason to be optimistic he will because he has the attitude, the work ethic, the drive, etc to believe he will put in the work to get there.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's not the lack of speed in the 40 that is necessarily concerning.  Would you like to see it at least a tenth faster? Yes.  What is concerning, though, is the tape.  Speed aside, the biggest problem he had in college is that he doesn't get consistent separation.  It's great that the next gen stats show that play speed isn't an issue.  It is a relief in a lot of ways.  But, that still doesn't change the game tape where even the receptions he does make, come with a CB all over him.  So, maybe the coaches see something that they can help him with in terms of release, route running, etc. that he wasn't doing in college that will use that actual play speed to his advantage.  If they do, and he works at it and becomes successful with what they are teaching, many of the other skills in a WR are there for sure.  But, unless the coaching staff has an idea of how to fix his separation issues, he is going to have to find ways to win against better competition in the NFL.

My guess is that I think they believe they have a plan for how to incorporate him into this offense and put him in advantageous situations.  I think the offense might look dramatically different than it has the last several years.  Brady has an entire off season to implement his full offense instead of just piecing things in here and there as the weeks went by last year.  I don't know......I am just searching for reasons to believe Coleman will make a major difference for us this year and it's tough when all I have to go by is his college tape and I see him struggling to get open.  But, like I've said all along, even though I am critical of him in a lot of ways, the things he does well, he does EXTREMELY well.  I am going to put my trust into the coaching staff to help him win with scheme here and there and play to his strengths. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

So what you're saying is we should have drafted Mitchell, Worthy, or Leggette.

Well by your rationale....that would mean that Mitchell, Legette and Worthy should have went ahead of Odunze and Harrison Jr.

That is brilliant.  I mean, there are somedays that I come to this board and I am just blown away with brilliance and this is one of those times.

Sir Isaac Newton invented calculus in his 20's on a dare but that mother****** didn't completely rank a draft stock based on one metric from PFF did he?  There are levels to brilliance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Cooper Kupp

Correction of my self - THE fastest gauntlet time in two years.  Second fastest go route.  No one jogs in the gauntlet - speed is a core point of the drill.

What it shows is that he doesn't break stride or slow down catching the ball because he is confident in his hands. Play speed vs. Running in shorts in a straight line. He's fast enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So let me see...you're frustrated that people are not wallowing in the negative viewpoint end of the pool where you swim 365 days a year on everything Bills related?  Maybe...just maybe...if you were not the one who has like a 100% success right of putting a negative emoticons on every post here that has any positivity to it what so ever and only ever liking ones that support a negative view point others might actually discuss more rationally your view points.  

Bottom line is pretty simple with Coleman...if you line him up with a faster corner and just say go deep in a straight line, he isn't going to run past him.  But that doesn't mean he doesn't have the speed to still be a deep ball guy, the speed to get open, the speed to be a great WR1 in the NFL.  

He is fast enough and as fast or faster than many of the best WR's of the last 10 years.  Whether he will develop the technique and skills to reach his potential is still to be seen, but there is a reason to be optimistic he will because he has the attitude, the work ethic, the drive, etc to believe he will put in the work to get there.

That's pretty much what I already posted higher up in the thread. But you've already made up your mind I see

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

That's pretty much what I already posted higher up in the thread. But you've already made up your mind I see

What did you already post higher up?  And what have I made up my mind about?  

But but but Jeremy and Joe hated this pick but wouldn’t say it. Makes me think about a previous thread where something was said along the line of them wanting bad callers. But I think they were using them today to get their own feelings across without having to be wrong about them in the future. I’d eat a flip flop if I were wrong. 

Pretty much he's really good at everything except the deep ball. I don't even know if that's a problem considering his height and if Allen throws some more 1 on 1 balls I like Coleman's chance to catch the ball better than Diggs's. I think the Bills have their speed guy: Samuel and their two underneath guys in Shakir and Kincaid. Coleman is going to be the 10-20 yard deep cross and dig routes imo.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why even write something this ridiculous?

Why? Because he gets his rocks off posting negative ***** about everything to do with the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I never gave any opinion on the pick at any point other than to provide and respond to data about his speed which people keep trying to make excuses for

Wow you are literally insufferable. Is there a mute button for fake Bills fans strictly here to troll?

imagine believing prospects with millions of dollars on the line are JOGGING at the combine, FOH.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

And if "others jogged" and Coleman did his best, that is a data point I personally like - effort.  I think the "Go" might simulate the 60 better than the 40.

I don't know the drill...and don't really watch combine stuff.  However, I think I understand what the poster's concern is about not jogging and running out of bounds.  It would be the equivalent to timing baseball players to see how fast they could steal second.  They would be clocked from 1st to 2nd.  Most would slide or slow up before getting to second so they don't go past the bag.  If one player just ran full out and blew by the bag, he would have the fastest time, but he did the drill wrong.  It's supposed to simulate stealing a base and if you just run past it, you'd be out in a game.  The poster is saying that in the drill Coleman ran the point is to not go out of bounds (so players slow up to prevent from doing so) but by Coleman blowing past the sidelines he gets a faster time but does not accomplish the goal of the drill.

• Thank you (+1) 1