Beane on WR "We worked out a guy today we are going to end up signing"

18 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

And the Bills had a first round pick and couldn’t get Odunze, Harrison OR Nabers.  Idiots.  Even after that stupidity they could find a rookie that could handle the load you deem impossible for 2nd year Kincaid.  Idiots.  Plus the guy they picked was not desired as much as a guy that looks just like Cooper Cupp.  I mean…..Cooper Cupp and he looks just like him.

I’m guessing sarcasm? I don’t even understand the last part about “Cooper Cupp.” Cooper Kupp is an elite WR. Coleman has some similarities to Kupp coming out in terms of their separation issues. Kupp is a big slot though. The guys that have succeeded without separation have been big slots. If you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe WR guru Matt Harmon. Listen here as he explains:

In terms of the volume, Kincaid will have a hard time handling it with 11 man boxes. The Bills needed some guys to run routes 20 yards down the field to open up the underneath. Underneath is where the guys currently on the roster succeed. That will be really crowded.

Also, when it comes to “volume” a raw rookie who lacks separation isn’t a guy that eats targets. If they would have taken someone like McConkey (not my favorite of the options but better than Coleman) his skill set would have allowed for volume early. The Bills have roughly 600 targets to go around this year. How do you see them divided? Keep in mind that Diggs, Davis, Sherfield and Harty combined for like 300 last year.  

Before you tell me that Curtis Samuel (who I am a big fan of) is going to be the main guy, here’s what his GM had to say on him:

Here is how his OC used him when they were last together:

Again, I like the player but if you think that he is the number 1 WR that’s going to see the 160 targets that Diggs saw, we aren’t close to agreeing. 

Feel free to be comfortable with the WR room. I’m not and gave some of the reasons above. I would have pushed my chips in for an alpha. If you disagree, what is it that you like about them? 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Chark makes the most sense to me.  If you were a decent WR trying to revive career for a nice payday, of course you would love to play with Josh.  That is a huge carrot to dangle in front of every WR.  Chark also plays special teams, which our coaches love

Out of those available he is probably my favorite choice as well. Big guy who plays outside, can get down the field, and has had a 1000 yard season before. He battled injuries in 2021, then was a contributor to a very diverse Lions offense in 2022 before joining the Panthers dumpster fire last year. Chark would get plenty of looks here and is still only 27.

Edited by buffblue

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m guessing sarcasm? I don’t even understand the last part about “Cooper Cupp.” Cooper Kupp is an elite WR. Coleman has some similarities to Kupp coming out in terms of their separation issues. Kupp is a big slot though. The guys that have succeeded without separation have been big slots. If you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe WR guru Matt Harmon. Listen here as he explains:

In terms of the volume, Kincaid will have a hard time handling it with 11 man boxes. The Bills needed some guys to run routes 20 yards down the field to open up the underneath. Underneath is where the guys currently on the roster succeed. That will be really crowded.

Also, when it comes to “volume” a raw rookie who lacks separation isn’t a guy that eats targets. If they would have taken someone like McConkey (not my favorite of the options but better than Coleman) his skill set would have allowed for volume early. The Bills have roughly 600 targets to go around this year. How do you see them divided? Keep in mind that Diggs, Davis, Sherfield and Harty combined for like 300 last year.  

Before you tell me that Curtis Samuel (who I am a big fan of) is going to be the main guy, here’s what his GM had to say on him:

Here is how his OC used him when they were last together:

Again, I like the player but if you think that he is the number 1 WR that’s going to see the 160 targets that Diggs saw, we aren’t close to agreeing. 

Feel free to be comfortable with the WR room. I’m not and gave some of the reasons above. I would have pushed my chips in for an alpha. If you disagree, what is it that you like about them? 

He might switch to sarcasm about how Josh is not serious about football.

Our wide receiver room is very likely better with no more adds - and there will be at least one.  Gabe Davis and Diggs gave us virtually nothing for the second 2/3rds of last year.  If Samuel and Coleman don't give us more in games 1-8 than Davis and Diggs gave us in the final 8, I will be very surprised.  It seems very clear Shakir is just tapping into what he will be - he barely played the first few games last year as we tried to have Harty and Sherfield emerge.  They didn't.

Please don't sign any old guys.  We wanted to get younger and bigger at wideout.  We did.  I think in 2024, Shakir will be better than Diggs.  Folks remember Diggs from 2020 and 2021.  Whether due to attitude or age, the objective evidence from the recent past is that he is not that guy anymore.  And it is indisputable his arrow is down, not up.  Why do you think he is on a one year deal with the Texans?  Buy low, sell high, it is pretty basic.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Lol, this is the saddest thread on here in a while. There are people on here that think this WR room is good. We are now suggesting ways to make it even better!! People are talking about adding (in no particular order): Chase Claypool, Kenny Golladay, washed Michael Thomas, washed OBJ, and washed Allen Robinson.

What are we doing here? The Bills needed to upgrade the WR room. They needed 2 boundary receivers at the top of the depth chart. They added one guy that was the most polarizing WR prospect, in arguably the greatest WR draft ever. That’s a massive failure. You aren’t going to dig yourself out by adding Kenny Golladay. As it stands the Bills have the worst WR group in the NFL. The TEs are good and the backs can catch but the WRs are last IMO.

No disrespect, but the only people Coleman was polarizing too were fans who don’t understand WRs or that 40 times are the most over rated and meaningless stat, especially when discussing separation.  These are the same fans that don’t realize that Coleman ran a faster 40 at his pro day too.  The same fans who don’t know that his 40 time is faster than DeAndre Hopkins, Cooper Kupp, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and so many more elite WRs.  

GMs, scouts, analysts, etc don’t find him “polarizing” and love this guy and his potential.  New England was trying to trade ahead of us to get him at end of first round and couldn’t pull it off.  His avg WR ranking was WR6 and ahead of so many “speedy” guys for a reason. 

Lol, this is the saddest thread on here in a while. There are people on here that think this WR room is good. We are now suggesting ways to make it even better!! People are talking about adding (in no particular order): Chase Claypool, Kenny Golladay, washed Michael Thomas, washed OBJ, and washed Allen Robinson.

What are we doing here? The Bills needed to upgrade the WR room. They needed 2 boundary receivers at the top of the depth chart. They added one guy that was the most polarizing WR prospect, in arguably the greatest WR draft ever. That’s a massive failure. You aren’t going to dig yourself out by adding Kenny Golladay. As it stands the Bills have the worst WR group in the NFL. The TEs are good and the backs can catch but the WRs are last IMO.

It will be interesting how teams prepare defensively for Buffalo with all these short to intermediate options.  They might not need to play much 2 deep because there's no threat deep and can afford to cheat up even on PA.  At least not one who's done it, despite having the QB with the strongest arm in the league.  

Also puts the running game at a deficit being so predictable throwing it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

No disrespect, but the only people Coleman was polarizing too were fans who don’t understand WRs or that 40 times are the most over rated and meaningless stat, especially when discussing separation.  These are the same fans that don’t realize that Coleman ran a faster 40 at his pro day too.  The same fans who don’t know that his 40 time is faster than DeAndre Hopkins, Cooper Kupp, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and so many more elite WRs.  

GMs, scouts, analysts, etc don’t find him “polarizing” and love this guy and his potential.  New England was trying to trade ahead of us to get him at end of first round and couldn’t pull it off.  His avg WR ranking was WR6 and ahead of so many “speedy” guys for a reason. 

I get all that.  And I now understand the Coleman pick.  My problem with the Coleman pick is that the Bills biggest flaw on offense, besides separation is that they have been unable to replace John Brown.  A high double shell buster would open up everything underneath and the middle. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I get all that.  And I now understand the Coleman pick.  My problem with the Coleman pick is that the Bills biggest flaw on offense, besides separation is that they have been unable to replace John Brown.  A high double shell buster would open up everything underneath and the middle. 

“Game-breaking speed is overrated”, that’s what gran-papi used to say and he was a fella who knew about these things! 

48 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

And the Bills had a first round pick and couldn’t get Odunze, Harrison OR Nabers.  Idiots.  Even after that stupidity they could find a rookie that could handle the load you deem impossible for 2nd year Kincaid.  Idiots.  Plus the guy they picked was not desired as much as a guy that looks just like Cooper Cupp.  I mean…..Cooper Cupp and he looks just like him.

The irony here is that Coleman ran a faster 40 at the Combine than Cooper Kupp.  

Also, did you not know Coleman ran an even faster 40 at his pro day and that it’s faster than DeAndre Hopkins fastest time?  

We just drafted a guy who is a more athletic and more physical DeAndre Hopkins.  It’s like if Brandon Marshall and Hopkins had a baby it would be Coleman.

I can’t wait to look back at all these crazy takes and reactions like the Allen thread though, it’s gonna be fun.  

6 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

“Game-breaking speed is overrated”, that’s what gran-papi used to say and he was a fella who knew about these things! 

what role was Hardy supposed to provide in 2023 grasshopper?

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

That’s not actually the issue.  We are the 2nd highest scoring team in the NFL the past 4 years.  

Our biggest issues on offense have been we are a soft offense outside of Allen…a finesse offense where we didn’t have that toughness to match our opponents in the playoffs.  We haven’t been able to match the more physical play that happens in the playoffs and it’s why we just can’t make that “one more play” than KC.  They have toughness that comes out in big moments, we haven’t.  

We aren’t trying to build back the same soft finesse team.  We are building a tougher team full of guys who make plays, make catches, and have the toughness and edge to step up when it matters.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Matt Harmon is THE guy when it comes to WR analysis. I posted his video on Coleman earlier. There were LOTS of people that thought he was polarizing. That’s not an opinion. People talking about his 40 time are not people that thought it was controversial. People talking about his lack of separation are the ones that had an issue. 

I don’t care if he’s a 4.5 guy or a 4.6 guy. I care that this is what his route tree looks like:

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

what role was Hardy supposed to provide in 2023 grasshopper?

And how’d that work out?

Also, one guy who snags just 13% of your team’s offensive snaps isn’t much of a commitment to over the top speed. You disagree? 

At first I "liked" your post. Then I thought about it and removed my reaction. I thought to myself, "Nah, the Bills can't have the worst WR group in the NFL." So I went on ESPN.com and looked at EVERY roster, the ones I thought could be in a worse place. There are many you know off top that are absolutely better than us. There are only a couple that I even thought, "Maybe we're better than them? Could be a tie?" You're right. 

The blind homerism around here is hilarious. People trying to reason and plead their case as to why we're fine, or better off, and we don't have a need in our WR group. That we had a "great" draft. It's like a lawyer who knows his client is guilty as sin, and has a snowball's chance in hell to get off, but still puts a case together for him anyway. The only difference is the lawyer is getting paid. You guys are not. 

Kirby is absolutely right. In a draft like this one, the best WR draft in at least 10 years, to come away with only one guy in the 2nd and some UDFA's is an epic failure. Then watching you all plead your cases as to why we're fine, or better :huh:, is like watching people talk up guys during the drought years. Guys like CJ Ah You, Marcus Easley, Kelvin Sheppard, and Robert Foster. Like we don't have a generational talent at QB right now. Like this brass is not continually 💩'ing on him by making a single move here or there instead of going all in to give him EVERYTHING he needs. It's mind boggling to me. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Yobogoya! said:

And how’d that work out?

Also, one guy who snags just 13% of your team’s offensive snaps isn’t much of a commitment to over the top speed. You disagree? 

Bills missed on Hardy.  KC misses all the time.  Hardy turned out to be a JAG.  Big Baller Beane will keep swinging.   Chark ran a 4.34 and would fill that void

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Matt Harmon is THE guy when it comes to WR analysis. I posted his video on Coleman earlier. There were LOTS of people that thought he was polarizing. That’s not an opinion. People talking about his 40 time are not people that thought it was controversial. People talking about his lack of separation are the ones that had an issue. 

Every player has critics, and I hard disagree about Matt Harmon who is just a fantasy football commentator.  

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Bills missed on Hardy.  KC misses all the time.  Hardy turned out to be a JAG.  Big Baller Beane will keep swinging.   Chark ran a 4.34 and would fill that void

And yet we signed Quintez Cephus

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Every player has critics, and I hard disagree about Matt Harmon who is just a fantasy football commentator.  

You think that the guy that founded reception perception, and charts every route run by WRs is “just a fantasy football guy?” That feels like you’re grasping at straws to fit the confirmation bias.

I’ve said that the Bills are inarguably a bottom 3 WR room and may be last. Feel free to list the ones that you think are worse but be prepared to defend it. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Agree 1