Grade the 2024 Bills Draft  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Initial overall 2024 Bills draft class

• A: Beane nailed it
    • B: Solid draft
    • C: Some hits/some questionable picks
    • D: Underwhelmed more questions than answers
    • F: What was Beane thinking?

B+ love the Coleman pick the more I’ve looked into him the more I see why Josh wanted the kid some say he’s Gabe Davis clone him and Gabe aren’t in the same stadium talent wise.

Also liked the PSU DB in the 6th that kid can play he might be a keeper. The LB haul was very good.

Head Scratcher they needed more then 1 receiver outta this draft  and they didn’t do that they must really believe in Shorter, Shavers, and KJ Hamler. 

• Like (+1) 1

A draft class one of the best drafts I think he’s had at least on paper.

Beane accomplished 3 things that were critical.

1- He filled the remaining critical starting roles by adding a WR, S and a C.

2- He filled key depth needs at RB, DT, DE, LB, OT and CB. 

3- He boosted the 2025 draft capital adding a second 4th rounder to the teams capital.

The team is deeper and better frontline while also adding an asset that can help down the line either facilitating a trade at the deadline or in the 2025 draft.

As a fan am I still concerned about the WR group even after the Coleman addition? Yes, I still think there’s concern at WR. But I also leave the draft a lot less concerned about the safety and the offensive line and I also leave less concerned about the depth of the team which I think has been improved.

I know reaction to the draft is mixed but this is going to be a solid draft. I think they get 2-3 consistent starters and 3 role players at minimum.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

B+ love the Coleman pick the more I’ve looked into him the more I see why Josh wanted the kid some say he’s Gabe Davis clone him and Gabe aren’t in the same stadium talent wise.

Also liked the PSU DB in the 6th that kid can play he might be a keeper. The LB haul was very good.

Head Scratcher they needed more then 1 receiver outta this draft  and they didn’t do that they must really believe in Shorter, Shavers, and KJ Hamler. 

I think there is like one of two reasons they didn’t take a second WR. One is they must like Shorter and given that they only carry 5 WR’s they felt with Coleman added they wouldn’t have room for a 6th WR.

There could also be a plan to bring in a vet to add to the mix once Tre’s money is free. Now I am not talking about a big trade like Higgins or Aiyuk. But OBJ, Tyler Boyd, Michael Thomas, Hunter Renfrow and MVS are all free agents and shouldn’t cost too much.

If you plan on adding a vet like MVS or Boyd then you simply don’t have space for two draft picks at WR. 

C- : Felt like this draft had McDermott written all over it. Give Josh one weapon while adding “team captain” type guys all over the defense. This roster as a whole simply hasn’t had the talent to beat the elite teams in the playoffs and I don’t think this draft changed that. 

If you had told me the only moves the Bills would make would be a few trade downs and they wouldn’t use their bevy of picks to try to go up and get anyone who was a value and that Keon Coleman would be the only WR I would l’ve laughed. 

A few solid picks but overall this draft pretty much sums up this regime: Not bad, some reasons for optimism but also frustratingly unimaginative. 

37 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think there is like one of two reasons they didn’t take a second WR. One is they must like Shorter and given that they only carry 5 WR’s they felt with Coleman added they wouldn’t have room for a 6th WR.

There could also be a plan to bring in a vet to add to the mix once Tre’s money is free. Now I am not talking about a big trade like Higgins or Aiyuk. But OBJ, Tyler Boyd, Michael Thomas, Hunter Renfrow and MVS are all free agents and shouldn’t cost too much.

If you plan on adding a vet like MVS or Boyd then you simply don’t have space for two draft picks at WR. 

It is an odd decision cause you go into next year with Shakur being your default number 1 receiver. I really like Khalil but he’s not really a number 1 man it just seems like this receiving  corps is missing a one more guy. 
Then again at 28 or anywhere after you aren’t getting a number 1 receiver in year 1. 
I have to think this means Kincaid maybe lining up out wide more often. 

It was an interesting draft to say the least. It was obvious that we put a lot of focus on drafting guys that a leaders, team captains, and accountable to themselves. With losing so many veteran guys that have been leaders on this team for years this off season, it's obvious replacing these guys with younger talent that can potentially grow into these roles was extremely important.

That said, what did we come away with in terms of talent and players? I think we definitely came away with guys that will help us early and also a couple of late lottery tickets that we hope hit. While I like the class as a whole, only coming away with one WR in a very deep WR class was disappointing. But, aside from that, we got some guys that will provide much needed depth and will contribute early.

Our first 4 picks should get some playing time right away:

WR Keon Coleman - While not my favorite WR in the class, he will be relied upon early and will start from day one. He's not fast. He's not a polished route runner. But, as I have stated before, what he does well, he does extremely well. He has amazing ball skills and uses his larger frame to shield off defenders and snatches the ball with his hands. There is no other WR in the draft that has more body control than this guy and because of this, he does make up for some of his other short comings because of it. When the ball hits him in the hands, he catches it. Has one of the lowest drop rates in all of college ball so he has elite hands. When you watch him on tape, sometimes you get frustrated because it seems like most of his catches come with defenders right there with him, but then you will see him make some of the best catches you will ever see on a football field and just say "Wow". While I don't personally see him ever being a top 10 WR in this league, if he can develop into that secondary piece....a great WR2, then I think we will be very happy with the pick even though the search for WR1 will have to continue. But, in my opinion, it would be ideal to have a solid #2 to pair with your legit WR1 and I think he can become this sooner than later. He's a good kid. He works extremely hard. Has a magnetic personality that people are going to love. He's going to be a guy that is easy to root for to do well and I think he will make plays for us, especially on 3rd downs, right away. If the coaches play to his strengths, and not just force him to try to immediately separate from guys, he will have an impact for sure. He offers a skill set with his size and strength that we did not have on this team prior. I am not comparing the two because I don't think they are the same player, but if he can be consistent, I do like him better than Gabe Davis, who I thought at one point might become that dominant WR2 but never did because of too many inconsistencies.

S Cole Bishop - I see him as our future Jordan Poyer replacement. He is an elite athlete for a safety. While I am not sure he is going to come in and compete for a starting spot right away, I am not dismissing it as a possibility. He's a smart kid, can hit a little bit, and plays well as a box safety. He plays physical and downhill and is a pretty good tackler. He blitzes and shoots gaps extremely well. However, sometimes those instincts and wanting to play aggressively get him in trouble on double moves and it gets him out of position from time to time and he misses some tackles. But, the good thing with him is that he spent a couple years trying to cover Dalton Kincaid on the practice field in college and if you have seen my love for Kincaid since he was drafted here, you know I think he is going to be one of, if not the very best, TEs in this league before too long. So, once again getting reps against him every day in practice will do nothing but help Bishop develop. He will come in, compete with Rapp and play some special teams for sure. But, even if he doesn't end up starting this year, make no mistake about it, I think he will soon. He's a good player.

DT DeWayne Carter - I like this guy. I had him graded a little higher than some others that went before him. He's a 3-tech that will slide into the rotation right away behind Ed Oliver. He's a penetration player that can win quickly and rushes the passer well. He will see a lot of playing time for sure as we love to rotate our defensive lineman. He's strong and plays with great pad levels and can move a little bit. However. he is not a great run defender and does miss tackles and overruns plays from time to time. Another one of those multi-year captains and leaders that seem to have been a priority this draft.

RB Ray Davis - I didn't watch a lot of tape on RBs this year. While I knew we would take one at some point, I had a feeling it wouldn't be until the later rounds. The things I do know about him is that he's on the shorter side and not a blazer, but can run well enough. He has great vision and is fairly shifty. While small, he's a tough runner. He will get some playing time as a compliment to Cook at some point this season for sure. He might be battling to get some playing time early with Ty Johnson but he may have a role at some point this season.  I think we still could use a bigger power back, but I am sure we'll take care of that down the road if they want to do it.

As for the rest of the players we drafted, I didn't study them on film so I don't have any personal opinions on them. From what I hear from those that did, it sounds like we got pretty good value on a couple of them. But let's be honest.....these guys are all pretty much like lottery tickets. I mean, you could say that about every player in the draft, but you know a lot of the guys in the first 3-4 rounds will contribute at some point during the season at least. These other guys, who knows. Some may make the roster as depth. Some may end up on the practice squad as many late round rookies tend to do. And others may not make the team at all. But in the end, I look at this as a solid, yet unspectacular draft class as of now. But the idea is to hit pretty well on 3-4 guys every year and I definitely think we will get contributions from at least that many which is exciting. We still need another WR that can play, though..... #GoBills

Edited by sven233

12 hours ago, dpberr said:

I give it a D. Weird strategy this year. To me, seemed like a strategy solely focused on cost controlled depth of decent football players and lottery tickets.

How is it cost controlled? The first contracts are cheap and pre structured.

11 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It is an odd decision cause you go into next year with Shakur being your default number 1 receiver. I really like Khalil but he’s not really a number 1 man it just seems like this receiving  corps is missing a one more guy. 
Then again at 28 or anywhere after you aren’t getting a number 1 receiver in year 1. 
I have to think this means Kincaid maybe lining up out wide more often. 

Who has bee n chiefs best wr?

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

How is it cost controlled? The first contracts are cheap and pre structured.

Who has bee n chiefs best wr?

We aren’t the chiefs cause they have the greatest TE to ever play the game controlling the middle of the field making it a little easier for the Mercole Hardemon, Sky Moore, Samir Rice, and Marquez Valdez Scanlings of the world 

I gave it a B.

It wasn't a "sexy" draft, but it was the type of draft that teams need in order to fortify the roster in places of weakness.

If Coleman turns out better than what most expect, and if one of the later picks makes a solid contribution down the line, then I'll put in a "change of grade form" and adjust to an A.  If Coleman is meh, then a C.

Gave it a C. I can envision just about everyone drafted having a meaningful role while on their rookie contracts, but there's nobody I'm really excited about as a real potential impact player. I see Coleman's realistic upside as a good #2 (more reliable Gabe Davis). Bishop could be, but he doesn't play a premium position. Carter just gives me Harrison Phillips vibes - will be nice to have a solid rotational DT on a rookie deal but limited upside. Some of the day 3 picks I like and could have starter upside, or be nice special teamers. But after moving on from some of our aging all-pros, we need to find the next era of stars and none of these guys excite me in that way.

Really this just hinges on Coleman because nobody expects a mid-later round player to be an all pro. I'm just not a huge fan of the pick