Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Coleman's actions show a player who doesn't separate at the college level and has shown little nuance/refinement to his game.   Which is why his numbers are so modest at the NCAA level.   He's really raw and it's not like he has 4.3 speed to fall back on if he doesn't refine his game or the Bills don't make it an emphasis to FIND ways to get him open at the expense of giving those opportunities to other, less talented players who also need that to succeed.

What's your projection for him in a couple years when he has the time to refine his game?

Do you think he has high-level starter potential (even as a number 2 rather than number 1) or do you strongly feels he will be a JAG due to his lack of speed? 

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

It's been well documented that Brady was the assistant to the assistant at LSU.  He didn't have say in the offense or personnel.  The WR there were Chase and Jefferson.

He was the passing game coordinator and WR coach. Terrace Marshall was the 3rd WR

• Like (+1) 1

Really really hope Allen goes out of his way to develop a close relationship with Keon and speed up the growing process

Force feed him in camp and the regular season

Barring a trade for an elite WR...& even if we did land one, Keon should be getting plenty of looks IMO

Best case scenario at this point with roster as is.....Claypool is reborn and starts outside opposite Keon.

Keon
Claypool

Samuel

Shakir 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It really doesn't tell you anything.   That's the point.  Actions speak louder than words.

Coleman's actions show a player who doesn't separate at the college level and has shown little nuance/refinement to his game.   Which is why his numbers are so modest at the NCAA level.   He's really raw and it's not like he has 4.3 speed to fall back on if he doesn't refine his game or the Bills don't make it an emphasis to FIND ways to get him open at the expense of giving those opportunities to other, less talented players who also need that to succeed.

Again,  case-in-point Kaiir Elam.   He came off as a highly studious, focused, hard working kid with a great attitude.   And his physical traits and pedigree were less in question than Coleman's are.   Hasn't worked out so far.  Hopefully it will this season......but coming off like a "great kid" at introduction means nothing.   Stephon Gilmore came off quite differently to Bills fans and has had a pretty brilliant career.   

Sure, and Elam’s metrics all pointed to success, yet nope lol. Like I said none of it guarantees anything, you can choose to solely focus on the numbers, and you would have been wrong about Elam just as you may be wrong about Coleman.

Nobody is solely focusing on Coleman’s personality as the reason for his future success and if they do, they may also be wrong, but I’d rather my rookies have Coleman and Elam’s personality and work ethic because it increases their odds of success.

I have said this all offseason. Bradys offense disguises routes really well. We will have bigger and similar size for a reason.

We ran a lot of 12 formation last year.  Maybe some 12 and 14 formation? 😁. With the video and it will make sense. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Really really hope Allen goes out of his way to develop a close relationship with Keon and speed up the growing process

Force feed him in camp and the regular season

Barring a trade for an elite WR...& even if we did land one, Keon should be getting plenty of looks IMO

Best case scenario at this point with roster as is.....Claypool is reborn and starts outside opposite Keon.

Keon
Claypool

Samuel

Shakir 

Only players I’ve seen Allen hanging out with are Kincaid and Knox. 

4 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

What's your projection for him in a couple years when he has the time to refine his game?

Do you think he has high-level starter potential (even as a number 2 rather than number 1) or do you strongly feels he will be a JAG due to his lack of speed? 

I really don't know about 2 years down the road but I expect that they won't immediately be able to put him out wide at X like Beane suggested and have him find success.   They are going to have to modify his role.   That's what the Chiefs did with Rashee Rice, for instance.

I think they will need to used him in the slot or in a lot of condensed formations to create space for him and then also put him in motion a lot.   Which is the kind of scheming you use for your lower pedigree and/or physically limited players........not first rounders or 33rd overall picks.   That will get old fast if he doesn't develop.

I liked the physical comp of Davante Adams to Coleman..........both big, physical guys with excellent body control, hands and leaping ability.   But whether Coleman has the drive, determination and intelligence to refine his game like that is another story.    Few want to work that hard and appearing gregarious at first blush doesn't tell me anything about whether he has that.    And, fwiw,  it took Davante Adams until year 3 to become a starter and year 4 to hit 1,000 yards for the first time.    Despite having the best QB in his conference all that time.   Not sure how well it will go over if it takes until his walk year for him to become a stud.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, julian said:

Sure, and Elam’s metrics all pointed to success, yet nope lol. Like I said none of it guarantees anything, you can choose to solely focus on the numbers, and you would have been wrong about Elam just as you may be wrong about Coleman.

Nobody is solely focusing on Coleman’s personality as the reason for his future success and if they do, they may also be wrong, but I’d rather my rookies have Coleman and Elam’s personality and work ethic because it increases their odds of success.

You didn't learn anything about their work ethic from a bunch of interviews after they were first drafted.   Obviously.  You just "feel" like you did.   

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You didn't learn anything about their work ethic from a bunch of interviews after they were first drafted.   Obviously.  You just "feel" like you did.   

And you didn’t learn anything from the college numbers prior to playing a snap of pro football. We would all love draft picks to have great college numbers and we’d all love them to interview well, be intelligent, well spoken and likeable.

In the end, Coleman will decide how good he’ll become, not prior collegiate success or a bunch of interviews after being drafted.

15 minutes ago, julian said:

And you didn’t learn anything from the college numbers prior to playing a snap of pro football. We would all love draft picks to have great college numbers and we’d all love them to interview well, be intelligent, well spoken and likeable.

In the end, Coleman will decide how good he’ll become, not prior collegiate success or a bunch of interviews after being drafted.

fe573767-e495-4aad-b292-c88a81ac9945_tex

The more I read in terms of pre-draft scouting on Keon Coleman, the more I like the pick. He's not Kelvin Benjamin. Kelvin Benjamin had a 10th percentile vertical jump. Keon Coleman had a 90th percentile vertical jump. He's a good athlete. In terms of the concerns regarding separation, I have to trust professional NFL scouts more than people giving their impressions of highlight reels on the internet. He may not be the world's most polished route runner or separator, but even taking that into account most scouts had him ranked right about where we picked him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

Film Analysis:

Keon Coleman is one of the best receivers in an outstanding receiver class. Coleman was a multi-year starter with Michigan State, where he had a very productive career before transferring to Florida State. 

Physically, Coleman is one of the best receiver prospects you will see. He has outstanding size and length and has a very muscular build. Coleman is a unique prospect in the sense that he has the body of a big possession receiver but the movement skills of a quicker slot receiver. Florida State utilized Coleman all over the formation and he was the focal point for their offense. 

Coleman is very good off the line, showing good burst to create separation while being physical enough to battle through press coverage. He has enough speed to make defenders respect the vertical routes and he can stop on a dime and create separation at the breakpoint—something receivers his size should not be able to do this well. He runs a full route tree and is a three-level threat. 

Coleman is outstanding with the ball in his hands and FSU wisely utilizes him on screens and quick hitters just to get him the rock as much as possible. He displays very good change of direction and an ability to make the first defender miss. This is also evident on special teams as he is the team's primary punt returner. One of the truly special things about Coleman’s game is his ball skills, hands, and ability to excel in contested-catch situations. He is a weapon in the red zone and is open when he is covered. He can elevate above most defenders to high point the football and he understands how to use his size to his advantage and always works to get in position to secure the football. 

Coleman will have to get better with some of his route running, as he will get lazy at the top of his route at times and that will be something he cleans up when facing NFL defenders. But overall, Coleman has everything you want to be a team’s No. 1 option and will likely be a difference-maker early on in his NFL career. 

Prospect Projection: Day 1 — Pro Bowl Talent

by Brentley Weismann 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4