Rd 2, Pick 33: WR Keon Coleman, Florida State

SDS

Just to provide some balance so everyone doesn't think I'm a total monster:

Here's some positive Coleman stuff from Ben Solak and Chris Simms (apologies if already posted).

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This feels like the analytics folks crushing Allen all over again.  Obviously different players, different positions, different metrics, etc. etc. etc.  We really won't know anything for a while.

Yes.  20 years old and has concentrated only on wr for 2 years.  PFF pods are all over the place with him.  There are outliers and he very well could be.  Reasonable analyst pretty much agree, clean  up somethings and no one would be surprised he is successful. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

This feels like the analytics folks crushing Allen all over again.  Obviously different players, different positions, different metrics, etc. etc. etc.  We really won't know anything for a while.

He's going to get called for OPI a lot because he is big. Same way Josh barely gets roughing calls because he is big. 

2 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

I dont know why you are knocking youtube, they literally have full game cuts on there.  It's no different than what scouts are watching.  A cut up scout video is like 20 mins max.  There is so much dead time in a football game.

His blocking is hit and miss.  Some good blocks, and some poor ones.  I did notice that it seemed like he took a few too many plays off for my liking.  Every player in the NFL does, but its something I didn't like with Diggs, so I'm not going to like it with Coleman.

I don't know why I'm getting knocked for having an opinion that MANY really good analytic sites are saying.  If Keon succeeds, it will be an outlier based on how past WR like him have done.  I thought there were more sure bets at WR at 28, who still had flaws, but overall they had the production or tape where you could see it translating.

The overall theme around Keon is a lot lower than what the Bills thought.  Generally speaking, Beane has been terrible in the 2nd round.

Not to mention, Beane thought so highly of Keon, that he had no issue giving up control for a 5th year.  If Beane thought Keon was going to make multiple pro bowls, he wouldn't have given up that 5th year option.  For a guy like Chase, it's saving Cin over 10 million.

Yeah?!?......and how do you know this?

Do you sit in on the scouting department assessments of player production and potential? Does Beane have you on speed dial not making a move until he talks to you first? Does the FO come to you looking for advice on players and draft picks?

My god, my head hurts.....i gotta get off these boards.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Prospector said:

Gronk never did

The Pats never did. We seem to get the shaft with that kind of stuff. Keon is some dominating physically that I feel he will get called for some of those just because it looks so violent. I love how he manhandles DBs. It just seems like media and refs have it out for us! 

One of the points that Simms made in the clip I posted above that I liked:

The Bills offense is gonna be BIG at times.

You have Spencer Brown and Torrence on the right side of the OL, who are objectively huge human beings.

Skill player wise, you potentially have Dawson Knox, Dalton Kincaid, and Keon Coleman all on the field at once, not to mention our giant golden retriever tank of a quarterback.

They have the potential to be able to play some power ball. And defenses having to deal with Knox, Kincaid, and Coleman in the end zone while ALSO having to account for Josh "15 rushing TDs" Allen...good luck!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Logic said:

Here's some positive Coleman stuff from Ben Solak and Chris Simms (apologies if already posted).

That can't be right.

Everyone is saying he's worse than Worthy, one of the worst route runners and question whether he is a good fit for JA.

I don't know who to believe anymore.

Just now, Logic said:

One of the points that Simms made in the clip I posted above that I liked:

The Bills offense is gonna be BIG at times.

You have Spencer Brown and Torrence on the right side of the OL, who are objectively huge human beings.

Skill player wise, you potentially have Dawson Knox, Dalton Kincaid, and Keon Coleman all on the field at once, not to mention or giant golden retriever tank of a quarterback.

They have the potential to be able to play some power ball. And defenses having to deal with Knox, Kincaid, and Coleman in the end zone while ALSO having to account for Josh "15 rushing TDs" Allen...good luck!

When most of the league is going small it does make sense to go big. All these tiny DBs and 220 lb linebackers could be in some trouble. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

When most of the league is going small it does make sense to go big. All these tiny DBs and 220 lb linebackers could be in some trouble. 

The aspect of it that I like is that the Bills offense of the past four years has at times gotten bullied in the playoffs.

Once playoff time hits and the refs let the players play more, and corners started pressing our receivers more aggressively, and defensive lines get more talented, etc...our offense got bullied.

Our offense has had a real "finesse" element to it for a while now. I'm excited to potentially be the BULLIES instead of the BULLIED.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6

Just now, Logic said:

The aspect of it that I like is that the Bills offense of the past four years has at times gotten bullied in the playoffs.

Once playoff time hits and the refs let the players play more, and corners started pressing our receivers more aggressively, and defensive lines get more talented, etc...our offense got bullied.

Our offense has had a real "finesse" element to it for a while now. I'm excited to potentially be the BULLIES instead of the BULLIED.

I've been saying this for years........finesse is fine in the regular season, but you gotta be a bully in the postseason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, Sweats said:

I've been saying this for years........finesse is fine in the regular season, but you gotta be a bully in the postseason.

Yeah. As finesse as the Chiefs are overall on offense, they have a bully in the middle (Kelce) that steps up in big moments, and they also moved to more of a run-balanced team last year as well, with the hard-charging Isiah Pacheco.

And of course they're bullies on defense, too, with Chris Jones and with Steve Spagnuolo calling aggressive defense.

Here's hoping Coleman becomes our bully on offense, and Cole Bishop becomes our bully on defense (dude packs a wallop).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I'm sometimes guilty of looking at college numbers & letting that affect my perception. 

When you think of a WR1, especially in pass-happy college offenses, you don't think 50 receptions/650 yards. 

But college stats don't really mean much when it comes to NFL production. Anyone remember how negative many were on using a 3rd round pick on Dawson Knox? 

What was special about a guy whose best season was 300 rec yards, or having 0 TDs through his entire college career? Thankfully, Beane knew better than I did. He's not a superstar, but he's definitely been productive & a good TE when healthy.

Anyway, I'm trying to keep that in mind with Coleman.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

I trust Simms' opinion more than anyone's here. So this is encouraging... 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah. As finesse as the Chiefs are overall on offense, they have a bully in the middle (Kelce) that steps up in big moments, and they also moved to more of a run-balanced team last year as well, with the hard-charging Isiah Pacheco.

And of course they're bullies on defense, too, with Chris Jones and with Steve Spagnuolo calling aggressive defense.

Here's hoping Coleman becomes our bully on offense, and Cole Bishop becomes our bully on defense (dude packs a wallop).

Absolutely.

I follow more college ball than the NFL (used to be the other way around, but college does it for me) and from what i've seen in games, is that the two of them are going to brutalize people.

It's no great secret that i love these 2 picks, even just for the fact that they bring a gritty, workhorse effort and motors that just won't quit.......they are going to hurt some people.

5 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Yes, I don't know how anyone can watch this man play football and think he will be successful in the NFL.  The dude just runs what looks like half speed out there.  His routes are a joke.  They are not crisp, they are not sudden, they are not twitchy, they are not precise, and to top it all off, he looks to be in slow motion.  I personally think his hands are grossly overrated.  Go watch the 22 min video on youtube of him, there are countless balls that are in his hands that he doesn't come down with.  I don't know why those aren't counted as drops.

The guy will not win on the outside in the NFL.  Sauce Gardner will literally laugh at Coleman trying to get opened.  He will be walking out there and able to be in his hip pocket.  You think Coleman is going up over Gardner to get a ball?!

This is the type of talent that you will find in the later rounds or even undrafted.

This is just baffling to me scouts watched this man play and came away with the impression he will be a good WR.  

I forgot.   Which team do you scout for???

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I saw this earlier.  He's likeable and funny but very goofy I guess. Much goofier than Allen, who everyone describes as goofy. But he's also very very confident. It was funny comparing him to other first rounders on their first day in Buffalo where they're a bit overwhelmed by it all. Coleman just seemed really relaxed and unfazed, talking to people, joking, almost walking around the facilities like he owned the place. 

He definitely has star appeal which is obviously dependant on how he plays. But if he ends up looking great on the field he'll be a star

• Like (+1) 1