The Bills should sign kicker Jake Bates from the UFL

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

How much better are they than Bass? Tucker, McPherson and Bass al missed 5 kicks last year. Sanders missed 4. Bass had the lowest percentage but he was effectively even with McPherson. Most kickers get so few reps these days that a couple more in any direction skews the stats a lot to make you think a guyw as great or terrible. Bass had his worse year since his rookie year with 5 misses for 82.8 percent, coming off back to back 87% seasons where he had 4 misses across 3 and 4 more attempts respectively.

I just think the Bills deserve a better kicker. McD rarely let's Bass attempt kicks beyond 50.  After 4 years, Bass is a career 84% which sticks him in the middle of the pack.  Now this whole argument/ discussion might seem moot considering Bass's contract. But you can't ignore last season and him missing 3 of 5 playoff kicks inside 49 yards. If he doesn't clutch up and turn it around,  I'm cutting him after the season and eating this foolish extension. Bates will be long gone....

2 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

How much better are they than Bass? Tucker, McPherson and Bass al missed 5 kicks last year. Sanders missed 4. Bass had the lowest percentage but he was effectively even with McPherson. Most kickers get so few reps these days that a couple more in any direction skews the stats a lot to make you think a guyw as great or terrible. Bass had his worse year since his rookie year with 5 misses for 82.8 percent, coming off back to back 87% seasons where he had 4 misses across 3 and 4 more attempts respectively.

Bass failed the eye test and looked shaky in the two playoff games. You miss a 27 yd chip shot against Pittsburgh with an amateurish duck hook and then end the season missing a  40 yd attempt.  Sorry, Tucker, Mc Pherson, and others don’t miss those. It’s enough, you can’t kickers wreck your season, period.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just think the Bills deserve a better kicker. McD rarely let's Bass attempt kicks beyond 50.  After 4 years, Bass is a career 84% which sticks him in the middle of the pack.  Now this whole argument/ discussion might seem moot considering Bass's contract. But you can't ignore last season and him missing 3 of 5 playoff kicks inside 49 yards. If he doesn't clutch up and turn it around,  I'm cutting him after the season and eating this foolish extension. Bates will be long gone....

The problem is that, generally speaking, the grass is always greener when it comes to kickers. Our perspective is a bit distorted because we live in an era of great kickers. Tucker and Butker are the two most accurate kickers of all time, and 7 of the top 10 most accurate kickers of all time are currently active.

4 of those players (Tucker, Butker, Boswell, Fairbairn) have only ever played for one team
Of the other 3, two of them played a rookie season with another team and then spent the rest of their careers with their current squad (Koo, Carlson)

If you want one of those guys, you kinda need to get lucky, because most other teams are just shuffling the same guys around. As of right now, Bass has the 25th highest career kicking percentage. Other contemporaries like Gay (15th), Hopkins (17th), Santos (19th), Meyers(21st) have played for 3,3,5, and 3 teams respectively. These guys are very, very good in a historical perspective and yet they keep getting cut and shuffled elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, Snowbowl said:

Cowboys signed Brandon Aubrey from the USFL. All he did was make 35 of 35 and set an NFL record. Hope this guy beats out Bass. 

Easier to kick in a dome than orchard Park 

The bills might have need the most specialized kicker in the league... He needs a plus leg who can also kick in wind and poor weather 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If you want one of those guys, you kinda need to get lucky, because most other teams are just shuffling the same guys around. As of right now, Bass has the 25th highest career kicking percentage. Other contemporaries like Gay (15th), Hopkins (17th), Santos (19th), Meyers(21st) have played for 3,3,5, and 3 teams respectively. These guys are very, very good in a historical perspective and yet they keep getting cut and shuffled elsewhere.

That's what the Bills should be doing. Just shuffling guys through until you hit on one. Paying Bass 5 million plus per was just a bad mistake. He is a middle guy. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That's what the Bills should be doing. Just shuffling guys through until you hit on one. Paying Bass 5 million plus per was just a bad mistake. He is a middle guy. 

I think the part of my post that you missed is that shuffling doesn't result in a meaningfully "better" guy. They're all in the same bucket career-wise and they take turns year to year being better than one another.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think the part of my post that you missed is that shuffling doesn't result in a meaningfully "better" guy. They're all in the same bucket career-wise and they take turns year to year being better than one another.

Yep I agree, but it does result in a much cheaper guy, and to me that 5 million dollars could be much better served elsewhere. The results may be the same or worse, but would be much much cheaper. I get what you are saying and I think Bass is a shuffle guy, not a commitment guy. 

I did notice that they've brought in Matt Haack, who was  not as good a punter for us as Martin has been, I believe. IIRC, there was some discussion after Bass's terrible miss at the end of the KC divisional round game, that part of the issue was Martin's hold, but it wasn't discussed much after that. And, of course, this FO is never going to point fingers publicly. I wonder if they feel that the issue lies, at least partially, with Martin's hold? 

3 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I did notice that they've brought in Matt Haack, who was  not as good a punter for us as Martin has been, I believe. IIRC, there was some discussion after Bass's terrible miss at the end of the KC divisional round game, that part of the issue was Martin's hold, but it wasn't discussed much after that. And, of course, this FO is never going to point fingers publicly. I wonder if they feel that the issue lies, at least partially, with Martin's hold? 

When they brought him Sam Martin they lauded him as a terrific holder 

The holding aspect is mighty overblown.. it really is 

There has never been a professional punter who was released from an NFL team because of his holding duties... Never 

People said Corey B was the worst holder... I went through every single hold of his career and there weren't more than eight laces in... Hundreds of holds and only eight didn't have laces out 

Not to mention his new kicker in Cleveland call him the best holder he ever had... Clearly shows it's not difficult 

The bills get rid of punters who could destroy the ball... And get noodle leg guys LOL that doesn't fly so they talk about how good they are at holding lol

But it's overrated and anybody can learn it with repetition 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Stats don’t tell the whole story, especially for Kickers and QBs. The whole story is, ours isn’t clutch and you can’t count on him in the big moments.  It cost us last year and I wouldn’t be risking it again.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

You seem to miss the part over and over again of not paying the big contract. 

• Agree 1