Odds are WR position after draft will still be more of question then the answer desired

corta765

Mock drafts, media analysis, bills fans, etc.. everyone has the Bills doing things to address the WR position with Diggs leaving and the larger hole that is now created. Realistically outside of a trade for a Aiyuk or Tee Higgins type player where it is established WR with a track record of production, the WR position will be a question and probably still an area of concern. Even if the Bills move up to draft one of the big three WRs there will be a question of immediate production and adjustment to the NFL. If the Bills move back and draft 2 WRs in rounds 2-3 your at least initially expectation wise at a lower starting point compared to one of the big three guys. The production Diggs had given even with the drop the back half of the season and the now loss of him and Davis production also is going to be a question for everyone and those stepping in. 

Is there a scenario for you that makes you comfortable with the position moving forward?

15 minutes ago, TYSONKO1 said:

Propofol

I love me some Propofol.  I get some next Thursday to put me out before my 4 hour lumbar fusion.

10 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah they already needed to fill Gabe's "spot". Now Diggs' spot. Idk how many WRs they will draft but those are two holes. Even with those two still on the team they needed a true #1 so I think it will

still be a need after the draft. 

I am really thinking they take 2. I bet it's Franklin and Tez Walker.  As much research as they have done on them, I wouldn't be shocked if we took both.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They need a 1 and a 2. Both those spots are not getting filled in the draft. Whether or not Shakir is elevated, I believe the logical conclusion is we need at least one guy that's "proven." Who that might be is anybody's (everybody's) guess. 

There are few members on TSW who supported Diggs last season more than I. But even I can say that the doom and gloom over his trade is over-blown.

Diggs was never a dominant, "take over the game" type of receiver. He was a great route runner who, seemingly, gave up on his team the second half of the season and produced very little during that span.

He took himself out of the games, and was rarely double covered. He was good at what he did, but his production isn't impossible to reproduce with other players. And rookie receivers don't take 3 years to develop like they have in the past. They can make an impact right away.

And don't give me the echo chamber stuff about McD not playing rookies. He has since he got here. Especially first rounders.

• Like (+1) 7

56 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Mock drafts, media analysis, bills fans, etc.. everyone has the Bills doing things to address the WR position with Diggs leaving and the larger hole that is now created. Realistically outside of a trade for a Aiyuk or Tee Higgins type player where it is established WR with a track record of production, the WR position will be a question and probably still an area of concern. Even if the Bills move up to draft one of the big three WRs there will be a question of immediate production and adjustment to the NFL. If the Bills move back and draft 2 WRs in rounds 2-3 your at least initially expectation wise at a lower starting point compared to one of the big three guys. The production Diggs had given even with the drop the back half of the season and the now loss of him and Davis production also is going to be a question for everyone and those stepping in. 

Is there a scenario for you that makes you comfortable with the position moving forward?

The team that won the last 2 Super Bowls did it with a FedEx driver, plumber and my daughter's gym coach at WR. 

With a step forward from Kincaid and a step forward from Shakir, the scenario that makes me comfortable is that Joe Brady gets to cook with players he has a plan for. That combined with the running game with Cook and Josh Allen being really good at football make me believe we'll be able to score points and move the football.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

42 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Yeah they already needed to fill Gabe's "spot". Now Diggs' spot. Idk how many WRs they will draft but those are two holes. Even with those two still on the team they needed a true #1 so I think it will

still be a need after the draft. 

Samuel was signed to fill Diggs’ spot. I’m not saying that he will be as productive as Diggs was, but he’s a similar type of player. I think we also will draft a player on day 3 to groom behind him. Ofc that’s in addition to an X WR early in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'm hoping these are the two major avenues being explored:

1.  The exciting option of bringing in of two fairly highly rated rookies slotted for the spots vacated by Diggs and Gabe.  This would complete a transition to a young, Josh lead offensive team.  It would downgrade our odds for 2024 though but would be thrilling to watch unfold.

2. Upgrade from last year at WR.  Trade for one of J Jeff/B Aiyuk/T Higgins/D Adams/C Lamb/DHop as an upgrade on Diggs.  Draft a WR fairly high (first two rounds) as an upgrade to G Davis.  This would be more costly but would keep us as a top 5 contender status for 2024.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

I would like to see the Bills take at least a couple flyers on FA through training camp.

I'm making my way through the list of FA WR still available.  I'd like to see us try out a younger guy (27-29) who has had at least 1 - 1000+ yd season in his past, and who has quite possibly been hampered by living through poor QB play.

Anyone stand out to you?  I'm kind of interested in DJ Chark, though I don't have the whole scoop on his injury history and why he fell off

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/available/

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

The team that won the last 2 Super Bowls did it with a FedEx driver, plumber and my daughter's gym coach at WR. 

With a step forward from Kincaid and a step forward from Shakir, the scenario that makes me comfortable is that Joe Brady gets to cook with players he has a plan for. That combined with the running game with Cook and Josh Allen being really good at football make me believe we'll be able to score points and move the football.

The team that won the 2022 Superbowl did so with a top-10 vet receiver who happens to play TE, a 26 year old (former 1400 yd) #2 WR who was drafted in the 2nd, their own 2022 and 2019 2nd round picks, and your daughter's gym coach who used to play for the Packers. 

2023 Superbowl, make it a vet receiver who happens to play TE and is starting to slow down, their own 2023 2nd round pick who looks like the best WR of the 1st 2 rounds, their own 2022 and 2019 2nd round picks, your daughter's gym coach who used to play for the Packers, and the hindrance supplied by the Giants.

The Cinncinnati Bengals WR corps, they ain't.  But KC made a significant draft and FA investment in WR, some of which didn't work out as they planned.  But, they took their shots, 3 out of the last 5 years 2nd round picks.

That seems to be a lot more investment than the Bills have tried on, until Kincaid last season (since I'm counting him as a TE)

I'm curious how Shorter and Hamlet figure into the mix.  Shorter is kind of like Davis, and Hamler, when he isn't injured, is a speed guy who can stretch the field.

1 hour ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Good luck with 1a

This will be an interesting season for him. He has the opportunity to unequivocally say he makes the receivers not the other way around. I hope Bills don’t over reach for a big free agent like Higgins or Aiyuk. Draft a couple of receivers and let Allen elevate them. That’s what elite QBs do. He can be a force multiplier. 

• Agree 3