TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Completed

Virgil

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

With the 23rd pick in the 2024 draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

The Vikings got their QB. Nix is athletic, accurate, and experienced. He was a top recruit that started at his hometown team. He took some lumps but really matured when he got to Eugene. He has some qualities similar to Brock Purdy in his ability to get the ball into his playmakers hands. We feel the value is here at 23 and have a guy that can start year one. 

@LEBills and the Dallas Cowboys are on the clock.

Bo will thrive in that offense. Love it

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Cowboys (LEBills) are on the clock

With the 24th pick in the 2024 draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Jordan Morgan OT Arizona.

The Cowboys line is in flux after losing both stalwart left tackle Tyron Smith after a decorated 13 year Cowboy career and 2023 Probowl Center Biadasz in Free Agency.

A common prediction is for Tyler Smith to kick out to LT. But due to his excellent play at LG and losing their starting Center, the cowboys want to keep some consistency on the line. So they opt for the athletic Morgan over Fautanu (questions about ability to play tackle in the NFL), Mims (injuries and lack of playing time) and Guyton. In the last three years, the Cowboys first rounder was either a top 30 visit or had a private workout and reports are Dallas OL Coach Mike Solari put Morgan through one at his pro day.

With both Dak and Ceedee’s contracts concluding after this season. The draft is about plugging holes and trying to make one last playoff push with the McCarthy/Dak pairing in 2024 before blowing everything up after losing in the first round. 

The Green Bay Packers and @MrEpsYtown are now on the clock

With the 25th pick in the TSW mock draft 2024 2.0 the Green Bay Packers select Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa

I will start off by saying I think this is a great fit for the Packers, but will also say I do not think DeJean will be here. He just crushed his private pro day the other day. Brian Gutekunst loves to draft high RAS players in the first round. New DC Jeff Hafley has expressed that he wants secondary guys who are versatile, strong in zone and in press man. They also must be able to tackle. That’s DeJean. He feels very much like a Packers type player. When you watch DeJean play, he is so instinctive and smart in coverage and almost runs the route for the receiver. He has tremendous ball skills, has a bunch of interceptions and loves to tackle. He is also an explosive return guy. I doubt the Packers pick up the 5th year option on Eric Stokes who just can’t stay healthy. DeJean becomes his replacement. He is also a Swiss Army knife. He can play outside, inside, slot, deep safety, box safety. His explosive athletic testing just check a box and I think he is nearly bust proof. Watching a ton of Jack Campbell last year DeJean just really kept popping off the screen. 

The first play against Rutgers is him in a nutshell. He runs the route for the receiver and gets on top of him, makes a ridiculous catch (similar to the one Diggs couldn’t haul in vs KC) then returns it for a TD. The second highlight is a nasty punt return and the third is great route recognition as he basically reads the whip route, a tough route to defend and turns it into a pick six. 

Finally here are his RAS scores from his recent workout:

@Logic and the Bucs are now on the clock.

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

With the 25th pick in the TSW mock draft 2024 2.0 the Green Bay Packers select Cooper DeJean, DB, Iowa

I will start off by saying I think this is a great fit for the Packers, but will also say I do not think DeJean will be here. He just crushed his private pro day the other day. Brian Gutekunst loves to draft high RAS players in the first round. New DC Jeff Hafley has expressed that he wants secondary guys who are versatile, strong in zone and in press man. They also must be able to tackle. That’s DeJean. He feels very much like a Packers type player. When you watch DeJean play, he is so instinctive and smart in coverage and almost runs the route for the receiver. He has tremendous ball skills, has a bunch of interceptions and loves to tackle. He is also an explosive return guy. I doubt the Packers pick up the 5th year option on Eric Stokes who just can’t stay healthy. DeJean becomes his replacement. He is also a Swiss Army knife. He can play outside, inside, slot, deep safety, box safety. His explosive athletic testing just check a box and I think he is nearly bust proof. Watching a ton of Jack Campbell last year DeJean just really kept popping off the screen. 

The first play against Rutgers is him in a nutshell. He runs the route for the receiver and gets on top of him, makes a ridiculous catch (similar to the one Diggs couldn’t haul in vs KC) then returns it for a TD. The second highlight is a nasty punt return and the third is great route recognition as he basically reads the whip route, a tough route to defend and turns it into a pick six. 

Perfect fit for the Packers. Well done.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

With the 26th pick in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon

Our interior offensive line direly needs reinforcements. Our running backs were constantly met in the backfield last year. We also want to be able to consistently create a strong pocket for our height-challenged quarterback, Baker Mayfield. Incumbent starting center Robert Hainsey is a replacement level player, and we simply felt that the time was right to upgrade the second most critical position on the offensive line. Powers-Johnson should be starter "off the bus", as Doug Whaley would say. We expect him to come in and anchor the line from day one. His thick frame, heavy hands, and nasty demeanor should make him a top level center in this league for years to come.

We would've been very tempted to take an edge rusher here and wait until round two for interior line help, but after a run on the position in round one, we didn't feel anyone of proper value was left at this pick. Powers-Johnson, meanwhile, stood out on our board at a position of need.

@Alphadawg7 and the Arizona Tiny Fightin' Murrays are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Cardinals (Alphadawg7) are on the clock
1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yep. If he is there they take him. I don't think he gets past the Eagles though.

• Agree 2

TRADE ALERT:  With the 27th pick in the NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals trade this selection to the Kansas City Chiefs.  @HappyDaysand the Chiefs are now on the clock.

Details of the trade are:

Arizona trades pick 27 (680) and KC sends back picks 32 and 95 (710)

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Bills fans get that familiar feeling of despair as the Chiefs once again trade right in front of them...

With the 27th pick, the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION Kansas City Chiefs select Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia. Buffalo @Virgil is on the clock.

A WR? Nah. This is Andy Reid. He once engineered an offense that had 0 TDs scored by WRs over an entire season. At his core he is still an offensive line coach. WR was obviously a position of weakness for us last year but OT was arguably just as bad. Second year player Wanya Morris was mostly competent filling in for the oft-injured Donovan Smith, but when you're talking about protecting an elite QB you strive for much better than competent.

Mims is a top 16 player on our board and we've been keeping our eye on him since the draft got to pick #20. We never thought he would fall this far so we feel that we are getting excellent value here even having to give up our 3rd. We didn't come into the draft feeling that OT was a necessity in the 1st round, the need plus BPA value just happen to be perfect here.

The only real hole in Mims' game is that there just isn't much tape to go off of. He has only 8 career college starts but the physical traits are tantalizing, and he isn't as raw as his limited game experience would have you think. He has above average hand placement and usage which gives him a solid floor. Most importantly he has one of the highest ceilings of any player in the entire draft.

Under Andy Reid's coaching we think we can get him to his ceiling and give Mahomes an elite blindside blocker for the next decade.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Bills fans get that familiar feeling of despair as the Chiefs once again trade right in front of them...

With the 27th pick, the SUPER BOWL CHAMPION Kansas City Chiefs select Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia. Buffalo @Virgil is on the clock.

A WR? Nah. This is Andy Reid. He once engineered an offense that had 0 TDs scored by WRs over an entire season. At his core he is still an offensive line coach. WR was obviously a position of weakness for us last year but OT was arguably just as bad. Second year player Wanya Morris was mostly competent filling in for the oft-injured Donovan Smith, but when you're talking about protecting an elite QB you strive for much better than competent.

Mims is a top 16 player on our board and we've been keeping our eye on him since the draft got to pick #20. We never thought he would fall this far so we feel that we are getting excellent value here even having to give up our 3rd. We didn't come into the draft feeling that OT was a necessity in the 1st round, the need plus BPA value just happen to be perfect here.

The only real hole in Mims' game is that there just isn't much tape to go off of. He has only 8 career college starts but the physical traits are tantalizing, and he isn't as raw as his limited game experience would have you think. He has above average hand placement and usage which gives him a solid floor. Most importantly he has one of the highest ceilings of any player in the entire draft.

Under Andy Reid's coaching we think we can get him to his ceiling and give Mahomes an elite blindside blocker for the next decade.

I can absolutely see the Chiefs coming up here if Mims is still on the board.

I still think he will be a Steeler or a Cowboy though.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can absolutely see the Chiefs coming up here if Mims is still on the board.

I still think he will be a Steeler or a Cowboy though.

And I, as the Cardinals, only move back 5 spots and add another 3rd too in this deep draft.  With my small trade back with Giants, I’ve now still landed Odunze and added 2 additional 3rd round picks (giving us 5 3rd rounders) and an extra 4th (giving us 2).  That’s now 7 picks in rounds 3 and 4 and we still have a first and a second coming up in the next 9 picks.  

Cardinals could achieve a massive reset this draft with a couple small moves, both which are very realistic options for them. 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And I, as the Cardinals, only move back 5 spots and add another 3rd too in this deep draft.  With my small trade back with Giants, I’ve now still landed Odunze and added 2 additional 3rd round picks (giving us 5 3rd rounders) and an extra 4th (giving us 2).  That’s now 7 picks in rounds 3 and 4 and we still have a first and a second coming up in the next 9 picks.  

Cardinals could achieve a massive reset this draft with a couple small moves, both which are very realistic options for them. 

Yea the Chiefs trading up for a tackle is one of the most likely moves in the draft IMO. They need to be ahead of Baltimore and San Francisco who are both potential tackle spots. The Bills won't trade with them in case it is a receiver. I think Green Bay at #25 are a potential partner but not if DeJean is there as he was here. Tampa are possible at #26, Arizona at #27 or Detroit at #29. I would think you try and get as high in that list as you can for fear of getting beaten to the trade up punch by the other two. 

Should be said though that in this mock the OTs haven't flown as I think they will on draft night and Fautanu Latham, Mims and Guyton were all still there. But even in that scenario Mims's stratospheric ceiling makes him a worthy trade up target. 

The way I see this tackle class is:

Tier 1 is Joe Alt who is the best all around left tackle ready to start and be great day 1 and Olu Fashanu is the best pass protection technician in the class. 

Tier 2 for me is then Jordan Morgan who has the highest floor (aside from Alt) and Amarius Mims who has the highest ceiling. 

Tier 3 is Fuaga and Fautanu who I think are both 10 year NFL starters that you can try at left tackle but ultimately may be at their best elsewhere on the line. 

Tier 4 is Guyton who I think is a right tackle early but who might be capable of developing into a left tackle in the NFL.

Tier 5 maybe somewhat controversially is Latham who I think is a right tackle only. And he could well be a good one. But of all those guys he is the one I feel has the least chance to be an NFL left tackle and hence I have him lower than the consensus.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the Chiefs trading up for a tackle is one of the most likely moves in the draft IMO. They need to be ahead of Baltimore and San Francisco who are both potential tackle spots. The Bills won't trade with them in case it is a receiver. I think Green Bay at #25 are a potential partner but not if DeJean is there as he was here. Tampa are possible at #26, Arizona at #27 or Detroit at #29. I would think you try and get as high in that list as you can for fear of getting beaten to the trade up punch by the other two. 

Should be said though that in this mock the OTs haven't flown as I think they will on draft night and Fautanu Latham, Mims and Guyton were all still there. But even in that scenario Mims's stratospheric ceiling makes him a worthy trade up target. 

The way I see this tackle class is:

Tier 1 is Joe Alt who is the best all around left tackle ready to start and be great day 1 and Olu Fashanu is the best pass protection technician in the class. 

Tier 2 for me is then Jordan Morgan who has the highest floor and Amarius Mims who has the highest ceiling. 

Tier 3 is Fuaga and Fautanu who I think are both 10 year NFL starters that you can try at left tackle but ultimately may be at their best elsewhere on the line. 

Tier 4 is Guyton who I think is a right tackle early but who might be capable of developing into a left tackle in the NFL.

Tier 5 maybe somewhat controversially is Latham who I think is a right tackle only. And he could well be a good one. But of all those guys he is the one I feel has the least chance to be an NFL left tackle and hence I have him lower than the consensus.

Who from tier 2 and 3 would you consider for Bills at 28? I guess tier 1 is out of question and I doubt tier 4 and below could even be BPA on your board when we pick.

16 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Who from tier 2 and 3 would you consider for Bills at 28? I guess tier 1 is out of question and I doubt tier 4 and below could even be BPA on your board when we pick.

I'd consider Morgan and Mims. I like them both a lot for very different reasons. I haven't got my board in front of me right now but Fuaga and Fautanu are like 24 and 26 on the big board so could be in play from a pure value perspective. It would depend what the rest of the board looks like. 

I have discussed this before but while it might be popular to say "but the Bills don't need a tackle!" right now - Brown is a FA after 2024 and Dion turns 30 on day 1 of the draft. I know they have extended Dawkins but if he plays the full 4 years of that deal with the Bills my strong belief is they won't all be at left tackle. I think he could well end up inside (we have been through the reasons for that many times but primarily he has always had to really fight his weight to remain quick footed enough to be effective at tackle and as that gets harder you get away with more at guard). The question for the Bills on my tier 3 guys would be "do they think they can play left tackle?" If the answer is "no" then they should not take them. If the answer is "yes but they can start at guard in 2024 then we will see what happens with Dion and Spencer" then I can see the logic.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bills (TSW Poll) are on the clock

I'm going to say while the Bills are on the clock as well that the Detroit Lions would listen to offers for pick #29. I don't want to hold things up though so unless I have some interest during the course of the poll for the Bills pick I'll move pretty quickly to make my selection once the Bills pick is in. 

If anyone is interested drop me a DM. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea the Chiefs trading up for a tackle is one of the most likely moves in the draft IMO.

I came in knowing that a WR or OT would be the pick unless some other player really stuck out on the board. In my mind I was thinking that if a WR and OT were in an equal tier at my pick I would take the WR because of the Rashee Rice situation and the fact that WR is a more premium position. I didn't plan on trading up. And even as Mims fell I really didn't want to give up more than my 3rd rounder so #26 was the floor for me. As soon as he got there I started making calls. @Alphadawg7 will tell you we went back and forth for a while before agreeing on the value and multiple times I thought the trade was dead in the water. Very fun exercise. Thank you @Virgil for making it possible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I came in knowing that a WR or OT would be the pick unless some other player really stuck out on the board. In my mind I was thinking that if a WR and OT were in an equal tier at my pick I would take the WR because of the Rashee Rice situation and the fact that WR is a more premium position. I didn't plan on trading up. And even as Mims fell I really didn't want to give up more than my 3rd rounder so #26 was the floor for me. As soon as he got there I started making calls. @Alphadawg7 will tell you we went back and forth for a while before agreeing on the value and multiple times I thought the trade was dead in the water. Very fun exercise. Thank you @Virgil for making it possible.

Glad you found a partner and got your guy 😉

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Yes the back and forth was fun.  There was a player we as the Cardinals very much liked and wanted to take, so we didn’t take the trade down lightly and needed to make sure it made sense for us, and ultimately we came to an agreement.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Bo will thrive in that offense. Love it

I’m not a Nix fan. Neither he nor McCarthy is very good imo. In real life I wouldn’t take either of them before day 3. I was banking on Penix making it to 23. I feel that the Vikings are backed into a corner and had to draft a QB. This was my EJ Manuel selection.

Glad that you like him and hope that you’re right. That’ll make me feel like less of a moron for drafting a guy that I have no interest in 😂😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

i was trying to find some info on it but haven't yet been able to find a good source.... but I have a really interesting thought. Wait until the 5th or 6th round and find a high RAS OL - likely a guard - and talk to him. Make sure he he is fast with good feet and tell him we will draft him to be a powerback fullback.

Talk to a few guys. There is likely a high RAS OL that will last in the 6th or 7th that we can do something with.

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m not a Nix fan. Neither he nor McCarthy is very good imo. In real life I wouldn’t take either of them before day 3. I was banking on Penix making it to 23. I feel that the Vikings are backed into a corner and had to draft a QB. This was my EJ Manuel selection.

Glad that you like him and hope that you’re right. That’ll make me feel like less of a moron for drafting a guy that I have no interest in 😂😂

Lol I get it. Most people see the Auburn version of Bo Nix and think that’s what he still is. Dude has made leaps and bounds towards fixing his flaws. He’s the most cerebral QB in this class and can throw on the run unlike Penix. I bet Denver will take him because Payton sees his new version of Brees 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, boyst said:

i was trying to find some info on it but haven't yet been able to find a good source.... but I have a really interesting thought. Wait until the 5th or 6th round and find a high RAS OL - likely a guard - and talk to him. Make sure he he is fast with good feet and tell him we will draft him to be a powerback fullback.

Talk to a few guys. There is likely a high RAS OL that will last in the 6th or 7th that we can do something with.

Good by me. Tush push specialist

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, boyst said:

Ask and you shall receive: 

Got another: 

17 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They are all day 3 projections. 

McCormick has a chance to go in round 3 def see him off the board in the 4th. Been super high on him throughout the process. I have a strong insight into the SDSU program 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

McCormick has a chance to go in round 3 def see him off the board in the 4th. Been super high on him throughout the process. I have a strong insight into the SDSU program 

He is very intersting! I see 4-6 around, but I don't grade guys or anything, just repeated what I saw out there. Thanks! 

To me athletes like that are so moldable. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

He is very intersting! I see 4-6 around, but I don't grade guys or anything, just repeated what I saw out there. Thanks! 

To me athletes like that are so moldable. 

So I know the Co offensive coordinator there on a personal level and I interviewed with their former HC John Steigelmeier who retired recently. I was very high on Tucker Kraft last year as the guy I know Ryan Olsen coached TEs when he was there. 

McCormick is raw but he has all the traits to be a high level guard at the next level so I do hs e a little bias 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, gonzo1105 said:

So I know the Co offensive coordinator there on a personal level and I interviewed with their former HC John Steigelmeier who retired recently. I was very high on Tucker Kraft last year as the guy I know Ryan Olsen coached TEs when he was there. 

McCormick is raw but he has all the traits to be a high level guard at the next level so I do hs e a little bias 

I love it and they seem to like those guys to develop. Ryan Van Denmark, and Tommy Doyle..high RAS moldable people. 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Packers (MrEpsYtown) are on the clock

Green Bay trades picks 41 (490), 58 (320), 88 (150) and 169 (24) to the Buffalo Bills for pick 28 (660) and 60 (320). 

With the 28th pick in the 2024 TSW mock draft 2.0 the Green Bay Packers select Troy Fautanu, OL, Washington

This was the other guy I was considering at 25 if DeJean went before I made the pick. I saw this as a fair opportunity to move up and I still have a late second-rounder. The Packers like a particular type of offensive lineman who is athletic and versatile. I feel like Fautanu is a great fit for their scheme with his great feet, active hands, and length. Fautanu is also super versatile. He has a little Dion Dawkins-type vibe because he is on the shorter side, but he makes up for it with long arms and just tremendous feet. Even if he does wind up being "just a guard" he is going to be a dude and like the DeJean pick, he is virtually bust-proof. I also think the Fautanu is significantly better than what I thought was going to be available at 41. He is also very nasty. In this scenario, GB maintains a late second-round pick.

I did not want to give up the 3rd rounder, but the Packers still have another 3rd and this move-up allows me to come away with two guys who, in reality, are top 15-20 picks. Side note, I chose Fautanu over Latham because Latham is more of a gap scheme player and is not the type of OL the Packers typically draft, though I also think he is going to be very good. Here is some OL stuff: 

This is a classic dancing bear. 

I am not a big PFF guy, but this says a lot:

I love this player and fit. 

With that, @GunnerBill and the Detroit Lions are on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Lions (GunnerBill) are on the clock
Posted (edited)

***Trade Alert***

The Carolina Panthers are sending picks #33, #141, and #142 to the Detroit Lions for pick #29.  

With the 29th pick in the TSW 2.0 Mock Draft, the Carolina Panthers select AD Mitchell, WR, Texas.  

The Panthers came into this draft with some veteran receivers, but also need to think about the future.  Mitchell falling this far in the draft, and the option of a 5th year, made this trade a no brainer.  The Panthers also could see the next 3 picks being receiver, so we wanted to jump up and get our guy.

Adonai Mitchell is a tall, long, and highly athletic wide receiver prospect.

He has good size for an outside receiver at 6-foot-2, 205 pounds with great athletic traits. Mitchell has the speed to stretch the defense vertically or pick up chunk yardage in run-after-catch situations. He also has the ability to sink his hips and change directions suddenly, allowing him to move like a much smaller receiver.

Mitchell flashes the ability to release efficiently off of the line of scrimmage against man coverage. Likewise, he shows some understanding of how to manipulate his route stem to create space for himself at the catch points. He’ll use a quick jab step to create space or hesitation in the cornerback, or bend his route toward the middle of the field before breaking toward the sideline on deeper out routes.

He also flashes impressive ball skills down the field. Mitchell does a good job of locating and tracking the ball in the air, making solid adjustments to help ease the difficulty of the catch. Likewise, he flashes the ability to be a true “hands” catcher who extends to maximize his catch radius and grabs the ball away from his frame. Mitchell also understands how to use “late” hands, not extending until the last possible instant to prevent defensive backs who haven’t located the ball from making a play.

Mitchell is also a willing blocker for his teammates. He was used as a blocker on the perimeter for off-tackle runs, wide receiver sweeps, and screens. He was also used tight to the offensive line in short-yardage situations. He has enough strength to effectively block most cornerbacks and smaller safeties, as well as the toughness to work to sustain his blocks for as long as possible.

The Baltimore Ravens @section122 are on the clock

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Ravens (section122) are on the clock