PLAY BALL ⚾️

CowgirlsFan

I’ve been trying to like baseball for years but it’s archaic. Why start when snow is on the ground in March and end when the snow starts falling in November? So dumb 

Edited by Bills!Win!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

17 minutes ago, US Egg said:

Baseball knocked it out of the park with the rule changes. Every one of them improved the game. 

…..and the MLB season package for $149 is a steal.

Lots of great exciting young players at the right time too.  50% of them on Baltimore and 50% distribute amongst the rest of the league.  Just kidding….sort of.

Holliday, Henderson, Rutschman, Ella, O Cruz, Langford, Carter, Carroll, And more.  Plus the Eastern contingent with Yamamoto, Lee and Imanaga should be interesting following Ohtani and Senga.  There are more on tge way too..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lots of great exciting young players at the right time too.  50% of them on Baltimore and 50% distribute amongst the rest of the league.  Just kidding….sort of.

Holliday, Henderson, Rutschman, Ella, O Cruz, Langford, Carter, Carroll, And more.  Plus the Eastern contingent with Yamamoto, Lee and Imanaga should be interesting following Ohtani and Senga.  There are more on tge way too..

Orioles drafted quite well. Going from 100 losses to 100 wins in 3 seasons is…..unprecedented?

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Bryce Harper Baseball GIF by MLB

Gross

7 hours ago, US Egg said:

Orioles drafted quite well. Going from 100 losses to 100 wins in 3 seasons is…..unprecedented?

Always had a soft spot for the O's. Growing up Rochester was their farm team, and my friend was big into the O's because of that. 

10 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’ve been trying to like baseball for years but it’s archaic. Why start when snow is on the ground in March and end when the snow starts falling in November? So dumb 

I am with you on this. Loved baseball when I was a kid but the lack of a true cap makes it extremely difficult for low budget teams to compete with the high $ teams. Frustrating to root for a team on the lower end of player expense budget. Platitudes to those teams that are able to remain competitive in this environment. How can other teams in the NL compete with the Dodgers? Perhaps a low budget team can be opportunistic when the big budget teams have injuries but that should not be the basis for a team to succeed.
I would stop following the NFL if they dropped the budget cap for all teams as well.

2 hours ago, Mr Info said:

I am with you on this. Loved baseball when I was a kid but the lack of a true cap makes it extremely difficult for low budget teams to compete with the high $ teams. Frustrating to root for a team on the lower end of player expense budget. Platitudes to those teams that are able to remain competitive in this environment. How can other teams in the NL compete with the Dodgers? Perhaps a low budget team can be opportunistic when the big budget teams have injuries but that should not be the basis for a team to succeed.
I would stop following the NFL if they dropped the budget cap for all teams as well.

I agree with the cap issues. Blame Curt Flood and George Steinbrenner. Yankee haters railed about their big spending ways in the late ‘70’s when free agency began and said that they had an unfair advantage. It immediately got them two World Series rings.

That said, the game is much better than it was from a few years ago to watch.

Regarding the NFL, it has become more annoying to watch. The NFL has taken away from the spontaneity of the game with their overdosing of rules, one has to refrain before enjoying a play to make sure it’s legitimate. The game has become near insufferably long. 

But, they are King.

7 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Gross

We will see you in October. Briefly, as usual.

Baseball has the most irrelevant regular season in sports. It's actually better to be a wild card than to win your division.

Edited by That's No Moon

24 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

We will see you in October. Briefly, as usual.

Baseball has the most irrelevant regular season in sports. It's actually better to be a wild card than to win your division.

Dont get me started on Manfred and his baseball rules hahaha

My best friend has 41 game San Diego Padres season tickets. I myself am not a huge fan of the sport but I would never cheer against them.  GO PADRES

Anyway I found this link for the promotional give aways. Some of those items do become collectors items.  San Diego is a Huge baseball town. Great downtown crib Petco

https://www.mlb.com/padres/tickets/giveaways

On 3/29/2024 at 8:48 AM, Bray Wyatt said:

Gross

Always had a soft spot for the O's. Growing up Rochester was their farm team, and my friend was big into the O's because of that. 

Thats how I became a O's fan as a little chipper, Orioles AA team was in Elmira

40 minutes ago, major said:

I wish the Oakland A’s would pull a major league and win it all while the owner is trying to get them out of town 

That would be ironic considering the A’s owner in the early ‘70’s, Charlie Finley, did a bit of a fire sale of players after they had won three straight World Series.

He was easily the most reviled franchise owner in Oakland, until Al Davis, and maybe now this guy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2024 at 1:22 AM, US Egg said:

The O's are the latest to try to copy the Astros tanking model.   It's not hard to get into contention that way but it's a lot harder to sustain momentum than it would seem it should be.   Cubs did it, won a WS by the skin of their teeth and then quickly faded back into mediocrity and their stars fell to earth and changed teams.   The Blue Jays were supposed to be owning the AL by now after their 2017-2019 tanking yielded a team full of sons of former HOF/star players.  

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The O's are the latest to try to copy the Astros tanking model.   It's not hard to get into contention that way but it's a lot harder to sustain momentum than it would seem it should be.   Cubs did it, won a WS by the skin of their teeth and then quickly faded back into mediocrity and their stars fell to earth and changed teams.   The Blue Jays were supposed to be owning the AL by now after their 2017-2019 tanking yielded a team full of sons of former HOF/star players.  

Tell me you’re clueless about the Orioles without saying you’re clueless about the Orioles.

1. It is highly questionable whether they were tanking by design or whether it was simply a function of ownership’s unwillingness to spend.

2. Characterizing how the Orioles have gotten into contention as “not hard” should mean the Marlins, A’s, Tigers, Royals, Guardians, Nats, Pirates, Reds, Giants, D-Backs, Mariners, are all similarly positioned.  Of those maaaaaaybe you could make a thin case for the DBacks and Reds.  
3. Henderson, Holliday, Kjerstad, Cowser, Westburg, Rodriguez, Mayo, Basallo, Rutschman, Norby, Bradfield.  Easy?  Oh, and that’s after trading Ortiz and Hall for Burnes.  They also developed Kremer, Bradish, Bautista, and others far beyond their original profiles.

You’re going to lean on the fact that they haven’t gone to 7 straight ALCS like the Astros and that’s true, so you’re right…..what they’ve done is “easy”.  Now list the other teams that have gone to 7 straight AL or NL CS’s since that is your standard.  Yanks?  Dodgers?  

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1