So Where Do YOU Get Your News - The 12 Types of Americans

1. The Musk-eteers: This is a fast-growing, mostly male group who feed off Twitter, podcasts (especially "All-In" and Joe Rogan), and follow independent reporters, led by Bari Weiss, through social media or newsletters.

3. TikTok kids: This is where most kids get most of their information about the world and hot news topics. They scroll, fast and furious, through pictures and microbursts of information — and trust people most parents have never heard of. Think MrBeast, Addison Rae and Zach King.

5. Right-wing grandpas: Senior citizens, especially men, still flock to Fox News — especially in prime time, and especially around popular personalities. They would have been big Rush Limbaugh fans back in the '90s.

6. MAGA mind melders: The new conservative news ecosystem would seem like a distant planet to anyone whose habits were formed pre-Trump. People like Charlie Kirk (massive because he's multiplatform), Jack Posobiec and Mike Cernovich are dominant voices. Then there are folks who are taken seriously only in Trumpworld (Laura Loomer, Alex Bruesewitz), but can really move the needle there. No one rivals Tucker Carlson with the base, even without his Fox News platform. Don Jr. is second, with his massive X, Facebook and Instagram engagement. "He's the meme lord of the right," a MAGA insider told us. Steve Bannon's WarRoom remains a juggernaut. Breitbart's Matt Boyle is a go-to newsbreaker on the right. Plus there's a potent crew of video clip guys.

7. Liberal warriors: Think of Rachel Maddow as patron saint of this bloc. Hence her sky-high ratings. This crowd feeds daily off The New York Times (especially opinion pieces) and prestige magazines (especially The Atlantic and The New Yorker). They once were addicted to Twitter but left, or lessened their dependency, after Musk turned it into X.

Elite power-consumers: This is the Axios base. These are mainly college-educated, ambitious professionals — we estimate 25 million-45 million nationally — who seek out news near-daily, partly for passion and partly for professional enhancement. This group is most likely to overlap with other bubbles and lap up "Morning Joe." These power-users are huge fans of newsletters, which in some respects mimic in shrunken form newspapers: a beginning and end, punctuated with pictures and visuals. LinkedIn is a hot, if still small, pipeline for content.

8. Elite power-consumers: This is the Axios base. These are mainly college-educated, ambitious professionals — we estimate 25 million-45 million nationally — who seek out news near-daily, partly for passion and partly for professional enhancement. This group is most likely to overlap with other bubbles and lap up "Morning Joe." These power-users are huge fans of newsletters, which in some respects mimic in shrunken form newspapers: a beginning and end, punctuated with pictures and visuals. LinkedIn is a hot, if still small, pipeline for content.

9. The financiers: This is the base of The Wall Street Journal, CNBC (especially "Squawk Box") and DealBook, the newsletter by New York Times and "Squawk" star Andrew Ross Sorkin. Lots of rich, white, older East Coast or big-city professionals live here.

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/25/news-media-filter-bubble-different-realities

(I didn't paste certain categories that seem pretty rare around here)

Do you recognize yourself here? I think I'm a mix of the about 50% category 8, 30% category 9, 20% category 7.

I do get more than my fair share of MAGA Mind Melders, Fox Grandpas, and Musk-eteers second hand, by reading posts here, but I read those more like an Anthropologist on Mars. 

• Eyeroll 1

If i listen to the news i try to stay away from Fox, CNN, MSNBC, 7 the lame streamers because we know for the most part they have a agenda to what they produce as their content to sway some tot think 1 way or another .

Plus to there is less of a chance that some here that are of the more "Progressive or liberal" Mind set by getting the news from different sources than those i mentioned they can't brand you as one way or another . 

I am a independent & would like it to stay that way unlike some here ! I want to make up my own mind and make my decisions based on just the real facts that i believe to be true & that alone rather than some gov't hack which we mostly cannot trust telling me what, where, & how i need to obey them and their opinions or agenda .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Do you recognize yourself here? I think I'm a mix of the about 50% category 8, 30% category 9, 20% category 7.

I do get more than my fair share of MAGA Mind Melders, Fox Grandpas, and Musk-eteers second hand, by reading posts here, but I read those more like an Anthropologist on Mars. 

I don’t really recognize myself too much in any one category (they seem to assume a lot of people watch tv news, which I guess might be true but isn’t something I do).

Overall, I think my mix is pretty similar to yours with a bit of category 10 (Nichers) thrown in.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

Overall, I think my mix is pretty similar to yours with a bit of category 10 (Nichers) thrown in

I think we're all Nichers here to some extent. After all, we get a lot of football niche news by coming to a football fan forum ...

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, T master said:

I am a independent & would like it to stay that way unlike some here ! I want to make up my own mind and make my decisions based on just the real facts that i believe to be true & that alone rather than some gov't hack which we mostly cannot trust telling me what, where, & how i need to obey them and their opinions or agenda

I get that, and it's why I find it so disappointing that most news programming these days preaches to the choir of their own demographic/followers. Most of that is really, really boring unless you're interested in having your existing biases confirmed. Rachel Maddow is no doubt smart and prepared, but very long-winded and boring in her presentation. She took over Keith Olbermann's old slot - he was a blowhard, but an entertainer. Same with Fox: O'Reilly did what Hannity does but with some entertainment value. I watched both of those guys semi-regularly at one time, but you'll never turn me into a regular Maddow/Hannity watcher. The "narrow-casting" has reached a new level, and of course that's even more pronounced when it comes to social media.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Not from the multitude of lying sources documented over the years in the link below.

Useful idiots consume, then parrot, all of those very same lying sources with religious zeal.

Therefore there's absolutely nothing to discuss with a single one of them. 

Mocking? Absolutely. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. The Musk-eteers: This is a fast-growing, mostly male group who feed off Twitter, podcasts (especially "All-In" and Joe Rogan), and follow independent reporters, led by Bari Weiss, through social media or newsletters.

3. TikTok kids: This is where most kids get most of their information about the world and hot news topics. They scroll, fast and furious, through pictures and microbursts of information — and trust people most parents have never heard of. Think MrBeast, Addison Rae and Zach King.

5. Right-wing grandpas: Senior citizens, especially men, still flock to Fox News — especially in prime time, and especially around popular personalities. They would have been big Rush Limbaugh fans back in the '90s.

6. MAGA mind melders: The new conservative news ecosystem would seem like a distant planet to anyone whose habits were formed pre-Trump. People like Charlie Kirk (massive because he's multiplatform), Jack Posobiec and Mike Cernovich are dominant voices. Then there are folks who are taken seriously only in Trumpworld (Laura Loomer, Alex Bruesewitz), but can really move the needle there. No one rivals Tucker Carlson with the base, even without his Fox News platform. Don Jr. is second, with his massive X, Facebook and Instagram engagement. "He's the meme lord of the right," a MAGA insider told us. Steve Bannon's WarRoom remains a juggernaut. Breitbart's Matt Boyle is a go-to newsbreaker on the right. Plus there's a potent crew of video clip guys.

7. Liberal warriors: Think of Rachel Maddow as patron saint of this bloc. Hence her sky-high ratings. This crowd feeds daily off The New York Times (especially opinion pieces) and prestige magazines (especially The Atlantic and The New Yorker). They once were addicted to Twitter but left, or lessened their dependency, after Musk turned it into X.

Elite power-consumers: This is the Axios base. These are mainly college-educated, ambitious professionals — we estimate 25 million-45 million nationally — who seek out news near-daily, partly for passion and partly for professional enhancement. This group is most likely to overlap with other bubbles and lap up "Morning Joe." These power-users are huge fans of newsletters, which in some respects mimic in shrunken form newspapers: a beginning and end, punctuated with pictures and visuals. LinkedIn is a hot, if still small, pipeline for content.

8. Elite power-consumers: This is the Axios base. These are mainly college-educated, ambitious professionals — we estimate 25 million-45 million nationally — who seek out news near-daily, partly for passion and partly for professional enhancement. This group is most likely to overlap with other bubbles and lap up "Morning Joe." These power-users are huge fans of newsletters, which in some respects mimic in shrunken form newspapers: a beginning and end, punctuated with pictures and visuals. LinkedIn is a hot, if still small, pipeline for content.

9. The financiers: This is the base of The Wall Street Journal, CNBC (especially "Squawk Box") and DealBook, the newsletter by New York Times and "Squawk" star Andrew Ross Sorkin. Lots of rich, white, older East Coast or big-city professionals live here.

https://www.axios.com/2024/03/25/news-media-filter-bubble-different-realities

(I didn't paste certain categories that seem pretty rare around here)

Let's see...mind-melders, grandmas, grandpas and....warriors, power-consumers, and financiers.  

Innovative.  Thought provoking.  Fascinating. 

I am in the "Consider the agenda while processing what they have to offer" category.   

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Reads like a list of baskets of deplorables.  

Kidding.

It's just a wordy and passive aggressive way to bucket any opposing views as less than valid.  

How come I didn't need to read it to know the above fact check is true?

:lol:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanNC said:

Not from the multitude of lying sources documented over the years in the link below.

Useful idiots consume, then parrot, all of those very same lying sources with religious zeal.

Therefore there's absolutely nothing to discuss with a single one of them. 

Mocking? Absolutely. 

Tell me you're a MAGA Mind-Melder without telling me you're a MAGA Mind-Melder.

1 hour ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Let's see...mind-melders, grandmas, grandpas and....warriors, power-consumers, and financiers.  

Innovative.  Thought provoking.  Fascinating. 

I am in the "Consider the agenda while processing what they have to offer" category.   

Allow me to help: Musk-eteer.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Reads like a list of baskets of deplorables.  

Kidding.

It's just a wordy and passive aggressive way to bucket any opposing views as less than valid.  

it mindfully neglects lumping in the target audience:

13. The brainwashed malcontent: generally +50 and consumes the alphabet of news source and archaic printed media believing it whole heartedly. often invested in their favorite news anchors and tv personalities. they are akin to this generations tik tok kids. they are of the mindset that they are against the system but worship it blindly toeing every line and gulping every word.

this place is a majority of those folks.

• Like (+1) 3

@B-Man  Used to be a Fox Grandpa, now majority MAGA Mind-Melder

@BillStime Liberal warrior

@Tiberius Liberal warrior, with a healthy dose of Elite Power Consumer

@Joe Ferguson forever Elite Power Consumer with a healthy dose of Financier

@Tommy Callahan 80% Musk-eteer, 20% MAGA Mind-Melder

@L Ron Burgundy see Tiberius

@ComradeKayAdams Liberal Warrior with a pinch of Elite Power Consumer

8 minutes ago, boyst said:

13. The brainwashed malcontent: generally +50 and consumes the alphabet of news source and archaic printed media believing it whole heartedly. often invested in their favorite news anchors and tv personalities. they are akin to this generations tik tok kids. they are of the mindset that they are against the system but worship it blindly toeing every line and gulping every word.

I think we call this The Misanthrope.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I'd rather make news than get news.

In the OP, CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin is a tried and true NYC liberal.

No issues with that, but I'm a Squawk Box watcher every day, from 6-7, then Today Show for ten minutes as the Mrs. joins me, then back to CNBC once Al Roker starts his weather histrionics or they do anything entertainment industry related, which I have zero interest in.

First selection on the laptop every AM is google news, and I avoid known biased sites. No Fox. No MSNBC. No CNN.

For accurate middle east and specifically day to day Navy operations, I watch Ward Carroll on Youtube.

Extremely well informed, honest and not the usual knucklehead that you see on networks.

33 minutes ago, sherpa said:

No issues with that, but I'm a Squawk Box watcher every day, from 6-7, then Today Show for ten minutes as the Mrs. joins me, then back to CNBC once Al Roker starts his weather histrionics or they do anything entertainment industry related, which I have zero interest in.

First selection on the laptop every AM is google news, and I avoid known biased sites. No Fox. No MSNBC. No CNN.

For accurate middle east and specifically day to day Navy operations, I watch Ward Carroll on Youtube.

Extremely well informed, honest and not the usual knucklehead that you see on networks.

Me too! No kidding. On a visit to NYC last month I stood outside the window and waved hi! You probably saw my handsome self there. Lucky you

❤️Becky

I've probably done better in the stock market than you

• Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, boyst said:

But not you and yours?

Same old "Everyone but team blue" is bad tripe. 

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

I haven't used Google News but if I'm in a newsy mood, I usually keep Memeorandum open on a tab. It's a pretty solid aggregator and also lists multiple sources for the trending stories so you can pick if you want to see the takes from different outlets.

Edited by ChiGoose

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Not a terrible plan.

My go-to news sources: WSJ and NYT digital subscriber. There's your center-right and center-left. Memeorandum as the best news aggregator to quickly browse.

No Twitter account. No Facebook. No Tik-Tok. I just don't like getting inundated with stuff they think I'd like. 

Some blogs that point me to interesting stuff: marginalrevolution (right-libertarian leaning economists), themoneyillusion (Scott Sumner, economist, similar but also a good film critic on the side), astralcodexten ("Scott Alexander," very libertarian, just an interesting thinker about lots of things)

TV: not an everday regular of any program, but I often check out CNBC (umm, waiting for Deirdre Bosa to appear while I get my financial news; I'm a fan of Rick Santelli too for very different reasons). I will watch the opening 10 minutes of a Morning Show (they all irritate me, but it's a quick news review); BBC America half hour evening news sometimes - much, much better international news coverage. Same with the CNN World coverage late at night if I'm up. MSNBC/Morning Joe last hour only sometimes (the hour aimed a DC newsmakers, not Joe's annoying rants with nodding head Mika). I also record Fareed Zakaria's GPS show. Pretty much avoid the other Sunday morning public affairs shows now.

Another thread by the ones that always revert to MSM, State, and WHO narratives view themselves as enlightened. while attacking any narrative or person that's not just saying the same exact thing.

This board is full of old threads.  with the same voices doing the same thing.

on topic.

Any more you have to read multiple sources for information, then double check, (often by reading the source documents.) 

Follow certain reporters that have a history of high integrity reporting, on social any media platforms is a good way to get the info first, and unfiltered. 

But for real. if its a talking head on any of the for-profit media commentary sites, they are talking you into holding a position. Or picking and choosing what to publish/ignore. not just presenting all the facts.  its not news.

Edited by Tommy Callahan