Pass rusher. A huge need not being talked about enough

DJB

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We gave up 172 rush yards on over 5ypc

The Bengals didn't need to score a ton to dominate

yeah they got ran over. The whole defense really sucked. Would've been nice to have been in a shootout.

Here's Jackson Carman absolutely posterizing Edmunds. I used to have this in gif form.

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We gave up 172 rush yards on over 5ypc

The Bengals didn't need to score a ton to dominate

Didn't the Chiefs put up like 9 yards per play or some far more outrageous stat against Buffalo and found themselves about 20 yards and 2 minutes of the Bills just doing what they had been doing all day offensively away from getting ousted?

So what the Bengals did offensively didn't guarantee that they would dominate that game.    What little the Bills offense accomplished DID.

I know there are people who want to equate wanting a greater emphasis on offense into not even trying on defense but any NFL defensive lineup on any given game day of last season couldn't do much worse than the 1 actual defensive stop on downs(and the litany of chunk plays) that the Bills defense had all game against the Chiefs.         

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Didn't the Chiefs put up like 9 yards per play or some far more outrageous stat against Buffalo and found themselves about 20 yards and 2 minutes of the Bills just doing what they had been doing all day offensively away from getting ousted?

So what the Bengals did offensively didn't guarantee that they would dominate that game.    What little the Bills offense accomplished DID.

I know there are people who want to equate wanting a greater emphasis on offense into not even trying on defense but any NFL defensive lineup on any given game day of last season couldn't do much worse than the 1 actual defensive stop on downs(and the litany of chunk plays) that the Bills defense had all game against the Chiefs.         

No doubt

I wasn't making the point that the offense played well vs the Bengals but that the defense never does

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:22 AM, Turk71 said:

They've been trying to build this amazing dline to stop Mahomes for 6 years now with plenty of high picks and free agents and it hasnt worked. That's what they've tried. 

They've never tried what I was talking about, building a great offensive line. Imagine if they had spent all that cap and draft capital on the offensive line instead, or at least a higher portion of it? A line like that makes everyone on offense better; qb wrs rbs tes all more productive. 

Every single year they need another DE.  After all the high picks, free agents etc they still need to find their guy. Maybe they're just not very good at choosing the right player and maybe it's time to try something else.....or let someone else try.

Why do so many people get this completely wrong? The strategy hasn't failed, the execution has. They've drafted and acquired underperforming players. It's not liek they're getting to Mahomes and still losing because of other reasons. Their lack of being able to do that one thing is what's causing them to lose.

They built a great offensive line this past year, and while it certainly helped in the regular season, it really didn't seem to matter very much at the end of the day, because you're only as good as you're weakest link, and against KC that weak link has been defense for 4 years running.

8 hours ago, FireChans said:

DL was above average last year. Plays well against bad teams with bad OL/bad QB/a team that can't beat our coverages, sometimes very well (9 sacks vs Sam Howell). Gets routinely beat against teams with good OL. Gets whipped by team with great OL.

The Bills haven't had an SB caliber DL since 2014, and I firmly believe that.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I firmly agree with this.

+1

53 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

They built a great offensive line this past year

+1

You last me there. You really think that was a great offensive line?

They were a lot better than they have been but they were average. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Turk71 said:

the Bills? Yeah they had a pretty good OL.

• Like (+1) 1

Sign Clowney as a mercenary for a year.

Personally, I feel that Groooot hasn't been given enough snaps to be as effective as he can be. 

He lags around 60% of snaps and he's been productive with what he's been asked to do. 

If they unleash him, he will start to put up the numbers people are looking for. 

Also, Miller will be looking to earn back some of his money this year and will play better, more like his old self, as a result. 

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Slightly above average at best. Got dominated in the 2nd half of KC playoff game

Edited by noacls

1 hour ago, BaaadThingsMan said:

Sign Clowney as a mercenary for a year.

Personally, I feel that Groooot hasn't been given enough snaps to be as effective as he can be. 

He lags around 60% of snaps and he's been productive with what he's been asked to do. 

If they unleash him, he will start to put up the numbers people are looking for. 

Also, Miller will be looking to earn back some of his money this year and will play better, more like his old self, as a result. 

I would absolutely be interested in Clowney. Likely after June 1

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This.

Also I wonder much Ogbah will get.

Clowney has underperformed his whole career and still gets paid-it boggles my mind

he has never been double digits in sacks. we would be roasting him by the 5th game and blaming Beane for a lousy FA move. 

Edited by Robert Paulson
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Turk71 said:

I think it was the best offensive line we've had in a very long time time, yes. I also think that in a salary cap world, it's about as good as you can hope a line to be unless you have multiple all-pros on rookie deals elsewhere on your roster so you can pay a group like Dallas did - which didn't help them btw.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think it was the best offensive line we've had in a very long time time, yes. I also think that in a salary cap world, it's about as good as you can hope a line to be unless you have multiple all-pros on rookie deals elsewhere on your roster so you can pay a group like Dallas did - which didn't help them btw.

Bottom line

Yes

It was the best offensive line they've had in a long time, but that's not saying much and they were just average relative to the league. Average.

I hope they can finally finish their Quixotic quest to find the right pass rusher. They have not demonstrated any ability to determine who that guy is thus far, but keep trying guys you're bound to get it right.

My point, and I first made it right after they drafted Allen, is they should have built a great offensive line for him first thing. Then brought in elite weapons. (They got Diggs and then drafted 3 higher rnd rbs instead of another elite receiver) The oline was treated as an afterthought. Instead they have been focused on the dline first and foremost for the last 6 years.

You mentioned Kelce always being open vs Buffalo. They used a 1st and a 3rd to draft one guy who could do that job.....but they picked the wrong guy. 

Another point I'd like to make is that regardless of how many great players they have, it doesn't help if you don't use them properly at the key moments.... Like guarding the sidelines for no reason when there are only 13 secs, but the other team has 2 timeouts. Or lining up 7 yards off the los on a crucial 3rd and 3, which I've seen them do many times.

It's too late to go back and find out how even more dominant Allen would be behind a great line but don't say they already tried that when they are still trying to do what they have been trying to do all along. 

Like I said in an earlier post...  Maybe they're just not very good at picking the right player, or maybe it's time to try something else.....

Edited by Turk71

On 3/22/2024 at 6:54 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

You may be right. But we'll worry about it then. For this year with Groot (who I'm pretty sure the regime sees as less than a concern than you), Von, Epenesa, and Toohill and with money coming in June to address it further if Beane sees it necessary - it'll have been properly addressed for this year.

Save for something unlikely happening like Laiatu Latu falling into our laps, there isn't a DE worth taking at 28. 

It seems Bills are addressing this via FA and might continue , as suggested.

By next season though it will become time . I too say we wait till then

unless Latu falls (he wont )

I am thinking Bills would do well to compliment DQ and Oliver to create pressure up the middle this season.

DE might qualify for a need this year DJB , but its not near the top I feel. Yet. lol

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Yea  they did. Miles ahead of the previous season

17 hours ago, FireChans said:

Oliver getting pancaked into oblivion by the Chiefs OL isn't because of anything McD does or doesn't do.

Not true

The Chiefs have the All Pro anchor to their line precisely because of what McB did and didn't do.

They  drafted Basham in the 2nd instead of Creed Humphrey, ignoring their own teams desperate need; to overindulge their dline obsession (had already picked Rousseau in the 1st). A 1st and a 2nd on DEs because they just couldn't pass on Bashams talent and the team had no holes. Nevermind the fact the oline completely sucked at the time....clueless.

15 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Bottom line

Yes

It was the best offensive line they've had in a long time, but that's not saying much and they were just average relative to the league. Average.

I hope they can finally finish their Quixotic quest to find the right pass rusher. They have not demonstrated any ability to determine who that guy is thus far, but keep trying guys you're bound to get it right.

My point, and I first made it right after they drafted Allen, is they should have built a great offensive line for him first thing. Then brought in elite weapons. (They got Diggs and then drafted 3 higher rnd rbs instead of another elite receiver) The oline was treated as an afterthought. Instead they have been focused on the dline first and foremost for the last 6 years.

You mentioned Kelce always being open vs Buffalo. They used a 1st and a 3rd to draft one guy who could do that job.....but they picked the wrong guy. 

Another point I'd like to make is that regardless of how many great players they have, it doesn't help if you don't use them properly at the key moments.... Like guarding the sidelines for no reason when there are only 13 secs, but the other team has 2 timeouts. Or lining up 7 yards off the los on a crucial 3rd and 3, which I've seen them do many times.

It's too late to go back and find out how even more dominant Allen would be behind a great line but don't say they already tried that when they are still trying to do what they have been trying to do all along. 

Like I said in an earlier post...  Maybe they're just not very good at picking the right player, or maybe it's time to try something else.....

The biggest and very much the most painful error in McBeanes tenure

O line should have been indulged . and as you then mention , Targets. Allen wants to pass, and we want him to pass.

The running game got going last year and thats going to help going into this season

I expected more from Kromer , but he need the players that fit

Last year that improved

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Not true

The Chiefs have the All Pro anchor to their line precisely because of what McB did and didn't do.

They  drafted Basham in the 2nd instead of Creed Humphrey, ignoring their own teams desperate need; to overindulge their dline obsession (had already picked Rousseau in the 1st). A 1st and a 2nd on DEs because they just couldn't pass on Bashams talent and the team had no holes. Nevermind the fact the oline completely sucked at the time....clueless.

It is true. We are talking about gameday management. McD doesn't have a "Ed Oliver, beat your man" playcall. He puts Ed on the field. If Ed wins or loses his matchup, it's 100% on Ed.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Clowney has underperformed his whole career and still gets paid-it boggles my mind

he has never been double digits in sacks. we would be roasting him by the 5th game and blaming Beane for a lousy FA move. 

I’d take 9.5 sacks like he got last year but hey maybe that’s just me