Bills sign C/G Will Clapp

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

How do you feel about this? 

6 year veteran....he started 11 games for the Chargers last season, but I thought they had kind of a sucky OL

I wouldn't pretend to know enough to have an opinion.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

He was the starting center for the Chargers when we played them last year. I remember thinking how lucky we were to play against their 3rd center in our matchup, and then our interior DL did basically nothing. So maybe our coaches were impressed and figured he was worth a shot as a camp body if nothing else.

Clapp started 11 games for the Chargers last year, but it looks as though he got injured his previous game and DNP against us. 

Edit: looked it up, he was on IR actually.  Knee injury but couldn't find details about what it was.

image.thumb.png.0cee8e584639f005a056e4f111f08371.png

Joe Brady was apparently an offensive assistant with the Saints when Clapp was drafted (7th round)

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, nosejob said:

Edwards  will be a much better LG than McGovern. Maybe that's why they moved McGovern to C. I'm sure they'll draft one somewhere. Word on the streets is there were communication problems between he and Morse.

Durrrr if the coaches thought Edwards was a better LG than McGovern......wait for it....they would have started him at LG

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

How do you feel about this? 

6 year veteran....he started 11 games for the Chargers last season, but I thought they had kind of a sucky OL

I wouldn't pretend to know enough to have an opinion.

Honestly I am not sure. I have only seen him play a few times. I guess I would say that I do not think they are done. I think they add a mid level free agent and draft some guys. 

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Durrrr if the coaches thought Edwards was a better LG than McGovern......wait for it....they would have started him at LG

Was and will are different.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, buffblue said:

Yep. I was certain our DL would eat against a decimated line and Easton Stick. No one did anything until the Oliver sack to end the game

That was the perfect trap game look back at that brutal part of the schedule and where we were mentally and also with all the travel.  Not a game to judge us for except for getting the win, as ugly as it was compared to the relative talent of the two rosters. IMHO.  

Bates move still has me worried.  Guy is with us for five years, plays every OL position, FO clearly values and judges his talent highly as evidenced by matching the ‘22 CHI offer sheet and keeping him here for five years.  

I’m all for developing young players like Alec Anderson and Van Denmark (and a ‘24 draft pick). But the difference between signing Clapp at up to $1.5M (or even a couple hundred grand less) as the back up depth at C, along with Anderson who literally has no game snaps at C, to McGovern who had 100 snaps at C (apparently at Penn St. 5-8 years ago and has none since four years in NFL), makes me feel a lot less safer than if we had scraped together $2M more to get Bates to his $4M for one more year on a SB contending team.  

And, Bates has the same significant depth for the entire OL like we had last year but who everyon  agreed we were extremely luckily that we didn’t need to tap into it. I think we’d all agree that on a SB contending team having one more year with quality and extremely versatile depth on an OL that lucked out with no injuries last year would be better off with Bates. 

As for the fifth round pick, even giving Beane a higher success rating it’s still a coin toss. 

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Agree 1