Center Train is off and running

28 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Any cliffs notes on the article? I really like the idea of McGovern at center so I wanna feel good about myself!

The Dallas Cowboys drafted him to play center, but over four seasons, McGovern almost exclusively played guard.

When he became a free agent last year and signed with the Buffalo Bills, he was a guard, a guard, a guard.

“But I always had the mindset that I eventually would be the center,” McGovern said. “It came sooner than I thought.”

essentially that and he and his wife make pizza on fridays before road games.  He has the stuff flown in from italy. He started it the friday before the jets game they won and continued it for the road games the rest of the way.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

You guys might be surprised if the center is already here and it's not McGovern. Beane wouldn't have moved off both Bates and Morse if he didn't think so. I'd look for if a project C slides into the 4th or 5th with big athletic upside, like Tortellini or whatever.

If he's there in the 5th, I think Beaux Limmer is the guy. Very similar athletically to Creed Humphrey, except he put up 39 on the press to Creed's 29 reps. 

He played mostly Guard, but filled in at Center this season. Need a guy that can anchor against the bull rush of elite DT's. 

I will never be against improving the OL!

Even if I'd like them to be looking for a young WR1 to eventually take over for Diggs, protecting Josh is just as important. 

The Chiefs spent quite a few picks on linemen & now have a solid core of guys. I'd be thrilled for us to do the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

The first round should always be the best player available.  They really shouldn't force a WR here when there are more to take throughout the weekend.  Every year teams find players at wr from every round and UDFA.

The team has a glaring hole at center, safety and pass rusher.  They really should let the draft come to them, no trading up and take the best available player.  If it is a WR then that is fine that is the right move.  

Chasing players and drafting for need in the first round usually gets teams in trouble.  

also anyone who thinks center is not an impact position is crazy.  Go back and watch the KC Buffalo game, the Chiefs O Line whipped the Bills defensive line.  

BPA “at a position of need”  is always what happens (no matter what anyone tells you) one goes for the biggest impact with the first pick, in this offense as it stands presently it is WR in the first, OLine is always important and quality can be found in the rounds after.  With the history of our defensive scheme and acquisitions failing annually in the playoffs, (for many reasons) it’s is past the moment to not fully fill out the offense.  I for one can not say what Beane will do, the likes of you and I and everyone else here can only hope for the best outcome. Fingers crossed 🤞 

18 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I will never be against improving the OL!

Even if I'd like them to be looking for a young WR1 to eventually take over for Diggs, protecting Josh is just as important. 

The Chiefs spent quite a few picks on linemen & now have a solid core of guys. I'd be thrilled for us to do the same. 

Sorry for the rant Dingus! and this is not directed toward you, just my general angst.

I will say that the Chiefs hit on a second-round pick, a center who gets away with holding on every play and got lucky with a sixth with an excellent guard in Trey Smith. They will lose one of those guys in free agency next year. They do not have a LT and their LG and RT were big free-agent signings. 

They missed on Darian Kinnard, they missed on Lucas Niang, who knows what Wanya Morris is. They have not done a great job drafting offensive linemen. 

I understand they have drafted pretty well, especially 2022. But they have hit on 2 homegrown linemen. We have 3 homegrown linemen starting for us right now. This idea that they are amazing drafters is a misconception. They hit on Mahomes and Chris Jones, two guys drafted by John Dorsey. He also drafted Kelce a while back. KC had a really good 2022 draft and found Rashee Rice last year. The Bills had 34 homegrown players on their 53 last year. The Chiefs had 32. Mahomes and Jones are two of the best in the league and people think Humphrey is amazing because PFF. But that and the Super Bowls blind some of us. They are good drafters who hit on 3 hall of famers with John Dorsey at the helm. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

What if the Chiefs offered Creed and their third for Buffalo's first?  Would that be preferable to drafting a center in the first and then only having over more pick until the end of round 4?

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Billl said:

What if the Chiefs offered Creed and their third for Buffalo's first?  Would that be preferable to drafting a center in the first and then only having over more pick until the end of round 4?

IMO, the entire front office should be fired if they made that move. 

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

If he's there in the 5th, I think Beaux Limmer is the guy. Very similar athletically to Creed Humphrey, except he put up 39 on the press to Creed's 29 reps. 

He played mostly Guard, but filled in at Center this season. Need a guy that can anchor against the bull rush of elite DT's. 

Creed scored a perfect 10 on the RAS. Limmer scored a 9.82 with his biggest detriment being his weight, so you’re not far off with the comparison!

7 minutes ago, Brand J said:

Creed scored a perfect 10 on the RAS. Limmer scored a 9.82 with his biggest detriment being his weight, so you’re not far off with the comparison!

Except Limmer's RAS is based on the Gaurd position, not center. He's the exact same weight as Humphrey and 3/10ths of a inch taller. So basically same body, except I think Limmer has a stronger core. 

Very close 10 & 20 yards splits, 3-come and shuttle. Creed has him by a hair.

But Limmer's 36.5 vertical is impressive, as is his 39 reps. 

Check out his anchor against 360lbs Sweat:

5 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Except Limmer's RAS is based on the Gaurd position, not center. He's the exact same weight as Humphrey and 3/10ths of a inch taller. So basically same body, except I think Limmer has a stronger core. 

Very close 10 & 20 yards splits, 3-come and shuttle. Creed has him by a hair.

But Limmer's 36.5 vertical is impressive, as is his 39 reps. 

Check out his anchor against 360lbs Sweat:

What’s his projection? I’d use one of the 4ths with the hope he beats out Edwards at LG. Seems more talented.

14 minutes ago, Brand J said:

What’s his projection? I’d use one of the 4ths with the hope he beats out Edwards at LG. Seems more talented.

4th is where he's projected to go. He gave up 8 pressures and 4 sacks last year. His weakness are being undisciplined at times in pass pro. I think that's something he can improve on with technique and coaching. 

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

train discover GIF

Looks like drafting a center high is off the table…, 😂

We’ll see what McGovern is made of at C, but for me the Jerry Ostroski experiment is still pretty fresh in mind. He was moved into the spot and would just get absolutely bull-rushed into the backfield. He looked the part, sure, but it was just terrible results.

Better draft a guy who has *actual* starting experience at the spot more recently than / & beyond the level of high school.