FA signings of Samuel and Hollins impact on the WR draft strategy?

Draft impact of Samuel and Hollins  

203 members have voted

1. 1. What impact will Samuel and Hollins have on Beane's WR draft strategy?

• Stays put at 28, but nothing changes and still takes a WR
    • Won't go WR early and will wait until day 3 and find value in a deep draft
    • Looks to trade up to get a WR1 top end prospect to take over for Diggs in a year or 2
    • Looks to trade down and take a WR while adding some more draft assets
    • Other - Post below

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I also think Coleman is a high probability, maybe even at 28.  He is a guy who is open when not open and would be a big weapon in tough weather game.

If we don't land Thomas or someone like that earlier, I would keep an eye on Coleman.

I don’t know about Coleman.  I’m not the “he has to run 4.4 to be good” guy, but Coleman’s speed is pretty questionable for round 1 and while he is smooth, he lacks the lateral quickness to really shake coverage - of course those are just my unqualified opinions.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, Samuel and Hollins are an upgrade over Sherfield and Harty, who were both lost.

We also lost Gabe Davis, so we still need another WR.

So it'll either be a round 1 or round 2 wide out for us.

We'll see how the early to mid-round 1 shakes out before we have a better idea of what we're doing!

I don't think we'll have a shot at Thomas...too far, too much. I can also see K.C. jumping us big for Mitchell. In that case, I would hope BB would consider.....

Trade 28  35/71 for Legette.  If Chop or D.R. fall to 28 AZ. may wanna do that deal.

Trade next years 1st to GB for 41/88.  41 T'vondre Sweat.

Pick 60 Devontez Walker

Pick 71 Jonah Ellis  EDGE

Pick 88 Cole Bishop S

After that IDK  Would like Maason Smith somewhere.

Edit: Just ran across Syracuse.com mock draft for the Bills and found it interesting.

Edited by nosejob

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally I think everything that has happened in the last week makes it significantly less likely he trades up for a receiver and slightly less likely he drafts one at #28. 

I think #28 has gone from best receiver available to best player available between receiver, defensive line and safety.

I’ll be so mad if the take a safety in the first instead of a wr. The difference in cap savings compared to an above average free agent at each position is massive

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I don't think we'll have a shot at Thomas...too far, too much. I can also see K.C. jumping us big for Mitchell. In that case, I would hope BB would consider.....

Trade 28  35/71 for Legette.  If Chop or D.R. fall to 28 AZ. may wanna do that deal.

Trade next years 1st to GB for 41/88.  41 T'vondre Sweat.

Pick 60 Devontez Walker

Pick 71 Jonah Ellis  EDGE

Pick 88 Cole Bishop S

After that IDK  Would like Maason Smith somewhere.

Edit: Just ran across Syracuse.com mock draft for the Bills and found it interesting.

I can see Beane anticipating KC jumping us, and moving up to fend it off. Plan B is okay by me if they land Legette, but it ought to be plan B.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I can see Beane anticipating KC jumping us, and moving up to fend it off. Plan B is okay by me if they land Legette, but it ought to be plan B.

Do you still think KC wants to jump the Bills now that they have signed Marquise Brown?  I would say that would take them out of that mindset, but of course I don’t know that.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’ll be so mad if the take a safety in the first instead of a wr. The difference in cap savings compared to an above average free agent at each position is massive

Yea I am not advocating for a safety. And I think the fact the class is weak at the top probably means they won't go that way. I just don't rule it out if they see Cooper as a safety rather than a corner and he is still there.

5 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Do you still think KC wants to jump the Bills now that they have signed Marquise Brown?  I would say that would take them out of that mindset, but of course I don’t know that.

They might shift emphasis to the Oline, that would make sense, and there could be value there. But just as I don't think signing Samuel means WR is no longer a need for the Bills, I don't take signing Brown as automatically ruling out WR as both a need and a likely possibility for the Chiefs. I don't believe Beane can trust them to stay put, and I just would presume they will move up if the WR they want is within striking range.

There's still calculation and speculation involved, and you could get it wrong. The poker analogies aren't inapt. Maybe KC wants Worthy, and waits it out, for instance. Beane could move up for nothing, though most teams will probably surmise WR is a target for us, and so multiple teams might consider getting ahead of us if the right player is coveted. For me, it's Thomas and Mitchell that are the fellas you think about. If you want someone else, stay put or even trade back into the early second. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Beane will get a WR and DE in first two rounds.  The order will depend on who is available.  Day three will probably be safety, d-tackle, and interior o-line.  I think that many of us have a much higher opinion on most of the WR's in the draft than the Bills do.  It might be a case of the top three being really good and a large number of the rest being significantly less talented.  The bust rate on highly drafted WR's seems high to me.

Guys let's not over think this.

Beane is going receiver Round 1 unless he gets a haul of picks that allows him to trade back and take a top ranked receiver early in round 2. 

Hollins replaces Sherfield and Samuel replaces Hardy. Still no Gabe replacement on the roster. 

Beane isn't dumb. Bills accumulated multiple injuries last year and I believe a big part of it was because the Bills were scratching and clawing all season in every game due to the offense inability to put teams away early. The Bills lack of offensive talent was glaring and it became obvious when Gabe went down and we had to start Sherfield. 

The defense is what it is. They haven't been able to stop a nose bleed regardless of who the Bills have put out there. Beane has spent all this money on the dline and secondary and all its amounted to is Mahomes and Burrow marching up and down the field on the Bills in the playoffs. 

Well if the Bills are going to be marched on regardless why not try out young talent who typically stay healthier over the stretch of a long season and see if they can band together and play better come playoff time? 

Meanwhile on offense why not actually load it up and put pressure on other teams forcing their offenses to be one dimensional giving our defense easier looks? 

It is time we became a five threat offense. Good at running the ball. Good tight ends. Drafting one of these deep threat studs in Round 1 putting pressure on teams with the deep ball. Having Diggs, Samuel, Kincaid and Shakir for intermediate, short, and bubble routes. Then of course still have Josh Allen scrambling ability. 

Oline is finally not a bag of trash with the emergence of Torrence, Brown, and McGovern to go with Dawkins. 

Good things are coming. Bills offense is going  to go to another level. Just need that deep threat round 1 receiver and another big body rb who doesn't fade down the stretch. 

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

They might shift emphasis to the Oline, that would make sense, and there could be value there. But just as I don't think signing Samuel means WR is no longer a need for the Bills, I don't take signing Brown as automatically ruling out WR as both a need and a likely possibility for the Chiefs. I don't believe Beane can trust them to stay put, and I just would presume they will move up if the WR they want is within striking range.

There's still calculation and speculation involved, and you could get it wrong. The poker analogies aren't inapt. Maybe KC wants Worthy, and waits it out, for instance. Beane could move up for nothing, though most teams will probably surmise WR is a target for us, and so multiple teams might consider getting ahead of us if the right player is coveted. For me, it's Thomas and Mitchell that are the fellas you think about. If you want someone else, stay put or even trade back into the early second. 

That could all be right, but I wonder if we as a fan base have come to be overly obsessed with WR.  KC has Rashee Rice who had a nice rookie year and just signed Brown.  They still have TE Kelce who was dominant in the playoffs.  You could be right that they will load up at WR, but if I were them, I’d fortify another position.  I think the Bills’ position is a bit different in that Diggs might be on the decline, whereas Rice and Brown are both young and Kelce could be near the end, but did not look like that when it counted last year.

55 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

That could all be right, but I wonder if we as a fan base have come to be overly obsessed with WR.  KC has Rashee Rice who had a nice rookie year and just signed Brown.  They still have TE Kelce who was dominant in the playoffs.  You could be right that they will load up at WR, but if I were them, I’d fortify another position.  I think the Bills’ position is a bit different in that Diggs might be on the decline, whereas Rice and Brown are both young and Kelce could be near the end, but did not look like that when it counted last year.

I would think Ladd McConkey would be a great choice for KC, whereas I feel Bills need a WR like Mitchell or Thomas Jr to really take the top off from opposing defenses.  McConkey in slot with Mahomes would be brutal.  Mitchell with Allen would really open the whole field for Bills.   

1 minute ago, richardb1952 said:

I would think Ladd McConkey would be a great choice for KC, whereas I feel Bills need a WR like Mitchell or Thomas Jr to really take the top off from opposing defenses.  McConkey in slot with Mahomes would be brutal.  Mitchell with Allen would really open the whole field for Bills.   

I loved watching tape of McConkey - great route runner who is really fun to watch.  But, would he not be operating in mostly the same space that Kelce does?  Now, I could see them drafting him with an eye towards 2025 when Kelce has probably retired.

It’s tons of fun to discuss these scenarios!

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I wouldn't trade up just because of KC, even though they are a significant rival in the Conference. You'll have to trade up to get Thomas, imo. You might be able to wait it out for Mitchell, but I think there's a drop off after him. I like Legette. Some might like Coleman. You could wait on them or go for Rice or Walker later. This is all assuming your target is a big X type receiver. The larger point is that I surmise if you want one of the round 1 WRs and you are sitting at #28, folks will know, and act to get ahead of you if the player is sufficiently prized.

You can always gamble, or if there are enough players at a position that you value more-or-less the same, just pick whose there. 

As the WR room stands right now, it is average even with Diggs, we really should get as close to a WR 1b as we can in the draft at 28, we need to stop short changing the offense in this regard. 

• Like (+1) 1