Marquise Brown going to the Chiefs

11 minutes ago, Billl said:

It doesn’t even make sense.  There’s no way he should have signed for this little.

I know some fans don't pay close attention to the NFL but WRs like him have fallen out of favor a bit. A slim small WR who mostly just runs vertical routes, in a league where pretty much every defense is playing two high shell as their base. Again he is still a good addition for the Chiefs given their moribund WR corps and a QB with great vertical accuracy, but it's not a big surprise that a WR with his skill set is getting a relatively cheap one year prove it deal.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

And Samuel by how similar their deals are.

Their deals aren't similar at all. NFL players want multi year deals with guarantees. That security is worth everything to them. The NFL has pegged Marquise Brown as someone that hasn't earned that security. He has to prove it. Samuel got a multi year deal and $15M in guarantees. Not sure what guarantees Brown is getting but it's $7M at the very most and that's if his deal is fully guaranteed, which I doubt.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bills felt WR1 and WR2 were set. Chiefs traded WR1 for a lot of draft assets. Chiefs haven’t felt set at WR1 or WR2 since 2021. There’s a big difference.

I wouldn't say the Bills have neglected WR as much as people here suggest. They traded for Diggs, who was and/or certainly became a top-5 receiver in the league. He wasn't cheap. They signed John Brown who had a great 2019 season (72 catches, 1060 yards), then flamed out a year later. They signed Cole Beasley in 2019, and he posted two really good seasons and had a solid third year. There were reasons to think Isaiah McKenzie could take over in the slot, but he fell out of favor with McDermott and obviously underachieved. Everyone here (rightly) thought Gabe Davis would turn into a superstar after the 2021 Divisional playoff loss. The Bills were widely considered to have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Davis then was hit-or-miss the rest of his tenure. The Bills have made some low-risk, high-upside efforts at filling out the WRs corps with Crowder, Sherfield, Harty. Crowder was legitimately an exciting addition but got injured instantly. Shakir showed promise and got a bigger role as time went on and now appears to be a long-term option. 

I don't know. When you're paying top dollar for Diggs and had what you thought was your #2 in Davis, while having solid vets like Brown and Beasley in prior years, I can certainly understand why the Bills weren't going all-in on drafting receivers. Besides, they've been drafting at the end of the 1st round. Some of these drafts have been pretty top-heavy with the elite WRs. 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Their deals aren't similar at all. NFL players want multi year deals with guarantees. That security is worth everything to them. The NFL has pegged Marquise Brown as someone that hasn't earned that security. He has to prove it. Samuel got a multi year deal and $15M in guarantees. Not sure what guarantees Brown is getting but it's $7M at the very most and that's if his deal is fully guaranteed, which I doubt.

He’s getting 7M guaranteed and up to 11M with incentives. That’s very similar to 15M guaranteed for two years that Samuel got.

I disagree that Brown couldn’t get multi year offers. He mostly likely did get them like Samuel’s. He probably thinks he deserves more and is clearly betting on himself to do well with Mahomes to cash in the following season. KC is going to get a very motivated player for sure. 

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

He’s getting 7M guaranteed and up to 11M with incentives. That’s very similar to 15M guaranteed for two years that Samuel got.

I disagree that Brown couldn’t get multi year offers. He mostly likely did get them like Samuel’s. He probably thinks he deserves more and is clearly betting on himself to do well with Mahomes to cash in the following season. KC is going to get a very motivated player for sure. 

It's a shrewd calculation, imo.  If a younger receiver can play with a top QB, it's worth taking less money for awhile. It will pay off.

Brady made average guys wealthy, and other elite QB's have done the same.  Brown will put up huge stats w/ Mahomes and cash in next year.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, beebe said:

I wouldn't say the Bills have neglected WR as much as people here suggest. They traded for Diggs, who was and/or certainly became a top-5 receiver in the league. He wasn't cheap. They signed John Brown who had a great 2019 season (72 catches, 1060 yards), then flamed out a year later. They signed Cole Beasley in 2019, and he posted two really good seasons and had a solid third year. There were reasons to think Isaiah McKenzie could take over in the slot, but he fell out of favor with McDermott and obviously underachieved. Everyone here (rightly) thought Gabe Davis would turn into a superstar after the 2021 Divisional playoff loss. The Bills were widely considered to have one of the best 1-2 punches in the league. Davis then was hit-or-miss the rest of his tenure. The Bills have made some low-risk, high-upside efforts at filling out the WRs corps with Crowder, Sherfield, Harty. Crowder was legitimately an exciting addition but got injured instantly. Shakir showed promise and got a bigger role as time went on and now appears to be a long-term option. 

I don't know. When you're paying top dollar for Diggs and had what you thought was your #2 in Davis, while having solid vets like Brown and Beasley in prior years, I can certainly understand why the Bills weren't going all-in on drafting receivers. Besides, they've been drafting at the end of the 1st round. Some of these drafts have been pretty top-heavy with the elite WRs. 

They've also done well with the WR picks in the later rounds.  Davis was a good number 2 until he got the dropsies and Shakir has been excellent and seems to be getting better with more playing time.

6 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

He’s getting 7M guaranteed

Where did you see that?

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

That’s very similar to 15M guaranteed for two years that Samuel got.

No it isn't.

7 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

I disagree that Brown couldn’t get multi year offers. He mostly likely did get them like Samuel’s. He probably thinks he deserves more and is clearly betting on himself to do well with Mahomes to cash in the following season.

That's not a thing that happens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know some fans don't pay close attention to the NFL but WRs like him have fallen out of favor a bit. A slim small WR who mostly just runs vertical routes, in a league where pretty much every defense is playing two high shell as their base. Again he is still a good addition for the Chiefs given their moribund WR corps and a QB with great vertical accuracy, but it's not a big surprise that a WR with his skill set is getting a relatively cheap one year prove it deal.

Yep he's super talented

One of my best friends, was an Oklahoma Sooner player..  still a big time booster to this day

he's more plugged in to the Big 12 then anybody alive I know... Dude bleeds sooner red and college football

He thinks Hollywood is good but poor man DeSean Jackson and isn't the best off the line of scrimmage.. which limits explosiveness downfield when you get hands on him

Obviously very talented... But he's not a top 10 or 15 guy in the league 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Where did you see that?

No it isn't.

That's not a thing that happens.

It’s not difficult to find out what’s guaranteed with his deal. It’s disclosed. And yes 7m for 1 year is similar to 15m for 2 years. 

You sure like to say things in absolutes when it’s differs from your opinions. lol 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

This is way better news then adding Mike Williams imo. Brown has always (at least to me) been a 1 trick pony. He'll be an upgrade over MVS and should obviously do well with mahomes throwing to him but I would have hated to see Mike Williams end up there. 

Why would this signing preclude them from taking Mike Williams out of curiosity? Brown costs 7 mill vs this year's cap. After the Mahomes restructure, KC had about 15-16 mill in cap space for 2024. If they trade Sneed as expected, that will clear another 20 mill. So KC would have about 28 mill in cap space with no obvious holes anywhere on the roster other than a likely desire to add another receiver and someone to compete for the job at left tackle. 

33 minutes ago, Success said:

It's a shrewd calculation, imo.  If a younger receiver can play with a top QB, it's worth taking less money for awhile. It will pay off.

Brady made average guys wealthy, and other elite QB's have done the same.  Brown will put up huge stats w/ Mahomes and cash in next year.

It could definitely pay off or backfire big time since KC spreads the ball around quite a bit. Kelce is going to get his. Rice is emerging. I think they still draft a wr. 

Elite QBs definitely raise receivers productions. That’s why I think Samuel is going to explode here with Allen. It’s going to be fun watching Bills offense next season. 

20 minutes ago, 90sBills said:

It’s not difficult to find out what’s guaranteed with his deal. It’s disclosed. And yes 7m for 1 year is similar to 15m for 2 years. 

You sure like to say things in absolutes when it’s differs from your opinions. lol 

It hasn't been disclosed that it is $7M guaranteed. The current report is a $7M salary that can get up to $11M with incentives.

You seemingly don't understand how guarantees work? $15M > $7M (or whatever amount he has had guaranteed). The number of years doesn't matter. Players care about the total guaranteed number.

By your logic every player would love to be hit with the franchise tag, when the exact opposite is true. They want multi year deals with long term security. Nobody is intentionally turning down a long term deal with more guaranteed money to "bet on themselves." That's nonsense. Sure if two teams offered him the same prove-it deal he would take Mahomes over whoever else to maximize the "prove-it" part, but if say the Panthers offered him $15M guaranteed over 3 years he would 100% take it without hesitation. 

You must be the type of fan that thinks Dawson Knox took a pay cut because he just loves Buffalo so much 😂

Edited by HappyDays

8 minutes ago, beebe said:

Why would this signing preclude them from taking Mike Williams out of curiosity? Brown costs 7 mill vs this year's cap. After the Mahomes restructure, KC had about 15-16 mill in cap space for 2024. If they trade Sneed as expected, that will clear another 20 mill. So KC would have about 28 mill in cap space with no obvious holes anywhere on the roster other than a likely desire to add another receiver and someone to compete for the job at left tackle. 

It might not but until they actually make the trade, I don't think Mike Williams will accept a contract less than Marquise Browns (again i could be wrong) , which would make their cap pretty tight but as we definitely know the cap can easily be manipulated. 

15 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It hasn't been disclosed that it is $7M guaranteed. The current report is a $7M salary that can get up to $11M with incentives.

You seemingly don't understand how guarantees work? $15M > $7M (or whatever amount he has had guaranteed). The number of years doesn't matter. Players care about the total guaranteed number.

By your logic every player would love to be hit with the franchise tag, when the exact opposite is true. They want multi year deals with long term security. Nobody is intentionally turning down a long term deal with more guaranteed money to "bet on themselves." That's nonsense. Sure if two teams offered him the same prove-it deal he would take Mahomes over whoever else to maximize the "prove-it" part, but if say the Panthers offered him $15M guaranteed over 3 years he would 100% take it without hesitation. 

You must be the type of fan that thinks Dawson Knox took a pay cut because he just loves Buffalo so much 😂

Again if you’re not clear of the contract details you should find out. It’s interesting that you’re adamant about your stance without being sure of all the details. 

15m guaranteed for 2 years is 7.5m per year. That is similar to 7m per year in my book. Yes obviously more years to a contract will have more guaranteed money. But what if a player thinks he can get a much better offer if he has a big year. Brown accepted a 1 year deal that’s similar (per year basis) to what he probably would get if he accepted a 2-3 year deal. He probably thinks he’s worth double that and don’t want to be restricted to a low multi year deal. Players do this when they feel it’s a better path for them to the contract they want.

The franchise tag situation is different. Tagged players are in demand in the open market. That’s why tagged players gets paid the average of the top 5 salaries of their position in the tagged year. They would have no problem fetching a lucrative long term deal so of course they wouldn’t want a 1 year deal in their situation. That’s not where Brown is at. 

You think that if the Panthers had offered Brown 15m guaranteed for a 3yr deal he would take that over the 1yr 7m he got? His agent would be sued for malpractice if he let his client take a deal like that. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 90sBills said:

Again if you’re not clear of the contract details you should find out. It’s interesting that you’re adamant about your stance without being sure of all the details. 

15m guaranteed for 2 years is 7.5m per year. That is similar to 7m per year in my book. Yes obviously more years to a contract will have more guaranteed money. But what if a player thinks he can get a much better offer if he has a big year. Brown accepted a 1 year deal that’s similar (per year basis) to what he probably would get if he accepted a 2-3 year deal. He probably thinks he’s worth double that and don’t want to be restricted to a low multi year deal. Players do this when they feel it’s a better path for them to the contract they want.

The franchise tag situation is different. Tagged players are in demand in the open market. That’s why tagged players gets paid the average of the top 5 salaries of their position in the tagged year. They would have no problem fetching a lucrative long term deal so of course they wouldn’t want a 1 year deal in their situation. That’s not where Brown is at. 

You think that if the Panthers had offered Brown 15m guaranteed for a 3yr deal he would take that over the 1yr 7m he got? His agent would be sued for malpractice if he let his client take a deal like that. 

Could you please link contract details? I am not able to find them.

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Yeah, I had a feeling this was going to happen based on his last Twitch stream. He was streaming Mahomes highlights and saying that he was "going to text Creed (Humphrey) in the morning".

I'd like to think this might take them out of the conversation for WR in Round 1. But with MVS and Hardman as FA's, Toney being, well, Toney, and Skyy Moore seeming either a late bloomer who hasn't bloomed or a bust - they still have a lot of work to do even with Hollywood.

I’d like to think that too … but I fear they’re too well run an organization for such shenanigans