CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

3 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

On the surface I feel the same. But we've extended two out of our four day 1 and 2 picks on the D-line. And might extend a third in Rousseau. We seem to be doubling down on the D-line investments we have made. Unless I am forgetting someone, the only one that was a draft day flop for us was Basham. 

I would also say, the D has been good to great in the regular season. And they have even had some nice moments in the postseason. The problem is they have been consistently horrendous against divisional round opponents. It's about getting the defense to play well against the best competition. That's how teams get to the Super Bowl. You don't make it to the Super Bowl winning shootouts. That might work one year if you get lucky but more often than not you have to be able to keep a team to 24 or less points. 

And this problem you describe is my biggest criticism about how McBeane choose personnel.  They keep getting guys who do everything, like Rousseau and Oliver, but they aren't dominant playmakers.  The dominant playmakers are the difference makers in the playoffs.  Maybe with Milano and Miller (the pre-injury Miller) the Bills would have had the right guys.  A roster dull of guys who just execute the system works in the regular season but has trouble in the playoffs, because the offenses are effective and can exploit otherwise minor weaknesses. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Does the signing of Samuel make a trade down more likely??  

I don't think so. One thing I like about Beane is he values first-round talent, and he likes to trade up to get it.  Especially because he has a lot of draft capital, I expect he'll go up a few picks to get someone. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And this problem you describe is my biggest criticism about how McBeane choose personnel.  They keep getting guys who do everything, like Rousseau and Oliver, but they aren't dominant playmakers.  The dominant playmakers are the difference makers in the playoffs.  Maybe with Milano and Miller (the pre-injury Miller) the Bills would have had the right guys.  A roster dull of guys who just execute the system works in the regular season but has trouble in the playoffs, because the offenses are effective and can exploit otherwise minor weaknesses. 

Get a handful of bad @**** who are great at what they do.

Also quit rotating so damn much. Let them play. 

2 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

If Samuel is so good why didn’t I notice him when we played the commanders? 

I noticed him he just had crap for QBs guy has been a weapon I think he is going to go wild in this offense 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bills!Win! said:

If Samuel is so good why didn’t I notice him when we played the commanders? 

because  we were all over Howell like white on rice that game. kid had no chance. and Samuel still was their leading receiver with the longest catch of the game

9 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Get a handful of bad @**** who are great at what they do.

Also quit rotating so damn much. Let them play. 

I think McDermott wants to get Dorian Williams into the lineup with Bernard and Milano and attack from the second tiernof the defense.  I still think we'll see Taron Johnson at safety and more 4-3.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Championship games these days are won by scoring in the high 20s and keeping a really good offense in the high teens or low 20s.   That's how most games go.   To be a champion, you have to hold down a really good offense, and the last two Bills losses to KC in the playoffs, the defense couldn't do it.  Offense did its part, but the defense didn't.  

The problem is we have constantly thrown ample resources at the defense, and they still fall apart in the playoffs year after year. I agree that championship teams typically have better defensive showings than what the Bills have fielded in the playoffs. But it's getting to a point where you have to look beyond the players. We keep switching out the players on defense but the result is always the same. Against the Chiefs this year the defense arguably turned in its worst playoff performance of the McDermott era when accounting for the caliber of the opponent. So it is getting worse, not better.

I hope McDermott is taking a long hard look at himself this offseason. That's where the big defensive improvement is going to come from, not from further imbalancing the defense vs offense resource investment.

On offense I have felt that the problem is the exact opposite of what I just described. The offense under Allen regularly shows up in the playoffs and performs above its regular season standard. I haven't had many qualms with offensive coaching in those games. Instead I have observed that a few critical plays a game are swung in our opponent's direction because of player error. A dropped pass here, an OL breakdown there. And every one of these player mistakes is magnified because the offense is being forced into a shootout due to the aforementioned defensive failures.

So I don't believe adding more defensive players is going to solve our fundamental problem on that side of the ball, whereas adding more offensive players will solve our fundamental problem on that side of the ball. Kincaid came in as a rookie and had an immediate positive impact, breaking a couple franchise records along the way and scoring a TD in the playoffs. I'm still waiting for a highly drafted defensive player to have that kind of impact. At this point the Bills should just focus on making a move that they know will have a measurable positive impact on the team, and drafting a WR high in a WR-rich draft is too obvious an answer not to do it.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think McDermott wants to get Dorian Williams into the lineup with Bernard and Milano and attack from the second tiernof the defense.  I still think we'll see Taron Johnson at safety and more 4-3.  

I would rather have a 4-3 then the 4-2-5 we have been running.  Ony of those 3 LB's can drop. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The problem is we have constantly thrown ample resources at the defense, and they still fall apart in the playoffs year after year. I agree that championship teams typically have better defensive showings than what the Bills have fielded in the playoffs. But it's getting to a point where you have to look beyond the players. We keep switching out the players on defense but the result is always the same. Against the Chiefs this year the defense arguably turned in its worst playoff performance of the McDermott era when accounting for the caliber of the opponent. So it is getting worse, not better.

I hope McDermott is taking a long hard look at himself this offseason. That's where the big defensive improvement is going to come from, not from further imbalancing the defense vs offense resource investment.

On offense I have felt that the problem is the exact opposite of what I just described. The offense under Allen regularly shows up in the playoffs and performs above its regular season standard. I haven't had many qualms with offensive coaching in those games. Instead I have observed that a few critical plays a game are swung in our opponent's direction because of player error. A dropped pass here, an OL breakdown there. And every one of these player mistakes is magnified because the offense is being forced into a shootout due to the aforementioned defensive failures.

So I don't believe adding more defensive players is going to solve our fundamental problem on that side of the ball, whereas adding more offensive players will solve our fundamental problem on that side of the ball. Kincaid came in as a rookie and had an immediate positive impact, breaking a couple franchise records along the way and scoring a TD in the playoffs. I'm still waiting for a highly drafted defensive player to have that kind of impact. At this point the Bills should just focus on making a move that they know will have a measurable positive impact on the team, and drafting a WR high in a WR-rich draft is too obvious an answer not to do it.

The scheme has to change.  Reid knows what McDermott is going to do before he does it

Edited by SoonerBillsFan

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

The scheme has to change.  Reid knows what McDermott is going to do before he does it

Which is why we are like two toss up endings from beating them like 5 straight?

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is such a good post.  Every word of it. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

If this has been discussed, I missed it.  It's an interesting idea.  I could see situations/certain opponents when using this scheme could work.

Taron can do so much already that it seems plausible.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If this has been discussed, I missed it.  It's an interesting idea.  I could see situations/certain opponents when using this scheme could work.

Taron can do so much already that it seems plausible.

Why not? I mean it solves the immediate Safety issue, and puts 3 really good athletes on the field at LB.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Why not? I mean it solves the immediate Safety issue, and puts 3 really good athletes on the field at LB.

Like I said, first I heard anyone mentioning this.  I also agree about the "best players need to be on the field" thing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

juss gonna leave this here..

That’s the difference between winning and losing the Eagles game right there. Likely another game resulting in the #1 seed. Possibly playoff wins too. 

• Like (+1) 1