CURTIS SAMUEL A BILL

Just now, stinky finger said:

Everyone watched that 200 yard, 4 TD playoff performance and thinks it carried over. 

Yep, and that performance never came close to replicating or even maintaining a steady able to count on performance week to week.  

14 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No, you're not alone with that thought. 

I'm less amazed that Gabe got bank because teams overpay for WR2 all the time. What HAS surprised me is that quality #2 guys are signing for far less than I expected on the market. Spotrac had him at $11.5M AAV and the Bills got him for $8 M a year (with potential void years) and Marquise Brown for $7 M

I think the Bills made the more financially sound move.

Agreed - at this price point he can be a WR3 or WR2b... what Gabe should have been.  I'd still take a Round 1 WR to have a true WR2 and potential WR1 when Diggs declines.  
Diggs, Rd(1)ROOKIE, Samuel, Shakir, Shorter/Hollins paired with Kincaid and Knox is pretty formidable.  

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No, you're not alone with that thought. 

I'm less amazed that Gabe got bank because teams overpay for WR2 all the time. What HAS surprised me is that quality #2 guys are signing for far less than I expected on the market. Spotrac had him at $11.5M AAV and the Bills got him for $8 M a year (with potential void years) and Marquise Brown for $7 M

I think the Bills made the more financially sound move.

This is totally a guess, but with 3 year/$24M $15M guaranteed, I think we'll find that breaks down to something like a $12M signing bonus with a void year ($3M/yr), vet min salary for >6 years of $1.2M, $0.8M of per-game roster bonuses so $5M cap hit.  2025, $3M salary for a $6M cap hit.  2026, $7M salary so $10M cap hit, but no new money guaranteed.  If he's making good here at age 30, Bills will try to extend him.  $2M of the reported $24M would be incentives for stuff like >1000 yd season, >80 receptions, pro bowl, all-pro, and so forth.

So my guestimater would break it down as:

2022: $5M cap hit

2023: $6M cap hit

2024: $10M cap hit

2025: FA, $3M void year to extend signing bonus

If I'm right-sh, that's a dang good deal for a player who has been solid and consistent and played mostly from the slot.

WRT the statement up-thread that KC's contract for Marquise Brown is "better", that's gonna depend upon how you see it. 

Brown was a former 1st round pick who the Cards swapped a 1st round pick for, because he has the potential to be elite.  He's had one VG season out of 5 so far.  For his potential and pedigree, the Chiefs got him at a fire sale. 1 of 2 things will happen: 1) he lives up to his potential with Mahomes targeting him and the Chiefs either pay him the big bucks or watch him walk 2) he doesn't and they over-paid for his actual performance, as they did with MVS.  It's kind of a high risk/high reward type thing.

The Bills contract is more steady-eddy.  They got a consistent performer who has spent much of his career with "meh" QBs or QB on the downhill slide, and locked up his services for several seasons at a fair price.  He's unlikely to take over the field, but they could potentially get Beasley-like value from him for several seasons and he's unlikely to "bust" if he stays healthy.  More of a high floor/low ceiling kind of thing.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

This is totally a guess, but with 3 year/$24M $15M guaranteed, I think we'll find that breaks down to something like a $12M signing bonus with a void year ($3M/yr), vet min salary for >6 years of $1.2M, $0.8M of per-game roster bonuses so $5M cap hit.  2025, $3M salary for a $6M cap hit.  2026, $7M salary so $10M cap hit, but no new money guaranteed.  If he's making good here at age 30, Bills will try to extend him.  $2M of the reported $24M would be incentives for stuff like >1000 yd season, >80 receptions, pro bowl, all-pro, and so forth.

So my guestimater would break it down as:

2022: $5M cap hit

2023: $6M cap hit

2024: $10M cap hit

2025: FA, $3M void year to extend signing bonus

If I'm right, that's a dang good deal.

That's along what I was thinking. There might be just enough money in the bannana stand to get a discount S starter and then we are free for BPA

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, papazoid said:

i love me some Dhop......i helped get to hundreds of pages...

Dhop signed with TEN for 2 yr / $26 mil / AAV $13 / 2024 cap of $18.3 / runs 4.57 / elite hands / 31 yo

Samuel signed with BUF for 3 yr / $24-30 ? / AAV $8-10 / 2024 cap of $8.0 ? / runs 4.31 / swiss army knife like deebo / 27 yo

younger, cheaper, faster

They aren't really comparable though.........DHop is in another tier altogether and is a true outside receiver and 14-15 yards per reception type deep threat.

There would have been no redundancy with DHop going into 2024 as DHop can excel at either outside position and Gabe would have been on the way out.  

Samuel would have even actually been an excellent addition to a Diggs/DHop/Shakir mix(knowing Diggs and/or DHop would be on their way out in 2026) and at $8M aav it wouldn't necessarily have been an either-or situation with their AAV's only combining for around $20M.

The problem with Samuel is that he isn't really a guy you can just line up outside every down.  His versatility is a selling point but his inability to be a "one" at either outside spot is why his career production is more modest than his athleticism and metrics like the separation and initial route speed numbers posted in this thread would suggest it should be.   Yeah, the QB matters but for top starters like DHop the quality of QB doesn't show up in the form of tamped down stats.

I know we have a lot of people out there who want to poo-poo the importance of the X position but having strength there forces defense's to defend a much bigger field.   Samuel isn't really a big threat downfield.  He's just not.   I like his addition a lot and at $8M I don't expect him to be a stud but he gets small downfield.    And if defense's don't fear your deep throw ability they will start squatting and taking away the YAC potential on shorter throws.   That's how the NFL works.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, babulator said:

Good news! He's certainly a gamer, just wish we weren't so enamored with small WR's. With Diggs, Shakir and Samuel, at least half our WR room will be 6ft or under. No complaints with the signing just hoping for more size moving forward.

He's an inch taller than Tyreek and ran a 4.31. He'll be fine.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah not getting DHop was just idiotic.   Hopkins was extraordinary AGAIN in 2023 despite a totally unstable QB situation.

I like Samuel and the nice thing is that he likely has that 600 yard kinda "floor" but might also have the upside to be a poor man's Diggs replacement in 2025 if they decide to cut bait from Stefon.    It just would have been so much simpler to have a full size outside WR like Hopkins.   I understand there was some risk with Hopkins but his skillset was pretty unique and man..............could that offense have been explosive.

Did you guys consider that the Bills didn't have the cap space to sign Hopkins at tge time?

It is amazing that some people on this board find something to complain about with every move the Bills make or don't make.

Enjoy the ride.

Beane knows a bit more about assembling a team than most of us.  He has earned our trust.

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

I like the signing and value. 

Maybe it's a "grass is always greener" mindset, but how is Gabe Davis worth 1.5x Samuel or Hollywood Brown in the open market?  I understand  that he's younger, but his health has always been an issue.  What am I missing?  He had one historic game several years ago, but otherwise has been very pedestrian.  He never had a 1,000 yard season, never had 50 receptions... despite being in a pass heavy offense with a great QB, and 3 different OCs had a desire/need to get him more involved.

It's a good question.  I think the narrative is that Gabe has produced more consistently with the lower percentage downfield catches he's been asked to make, but that he has untapped potential because Josh has had poor decision making in choosing to throw to Gabe, and perhaps made the wrong read on option routes with Gabe.  Pederson likely thinks with a QB who plays more in-control and in-system throwing to him, his performance will make a jump, and it may.

42 minutes ago, ngbills said:

People need to throw out 2021. Didn’t really play. 

Just spoke to a good friend who works with an NFL team. Says that Samuel will most likely be "another McKenzie". Very similar player to McKenzie. Thinks we way overpaid. Take it as food for thought... just sharing.

I'm kinda mute on this signing. It feels like a glorified sherfield/harty move.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It's a good question.  I think the narrative is that Gabe has produced more consistently with the lower percentage downfield catches he's been asked to make, but that he has untapped potential because Josh has had poor decision making in choosing to throw to Gabe, and perhaps made the wrong read on option routes with Gabe.  Pederson likely thinks with a QB who plays more in-control and in-system throwing to him, his performance will make a jump, and it may.

I agree 100%. Davis will be missed boys. You watch...

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Did you guys consider that the Bills didn't have the cap space to sign Hopkins at tge time?

It is amazing that some people on this board find something to complain about with every move the Bills make or don't make.

Enjoy the ride.

Beane knows a bit more about assembling a team than most of us.  He has earned our trust.

Brandon Beane’s idea of assembling a team resulted in Trent Sherfield whiffing on passes in the biggest game of the season which was the last one.

Don’t piss on our heads and tell us it’s raining. The WR room has been atrocious since 2020 and got worse every year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

Just spoke to a good friend who works with an NFL team. Says that Samuel will most likely be "another McKenzie". Very similar player to McKenzie. Thinks we way overpaid. Take it as food for thought... just sharing.

I'm kinda mute on this signing. It feels like a glorified sherfield/harty move.

I agree 100%. Davis will be missed boys. You watch...

Uh huh....no.   Let me know when McKenzie has 850 receiving and 200 rushing in a season as a role player 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

He's an inch taller than Tyreek and ran a 4.31. He'll be fine.

Their stats aren't comparable. He ran a fast 40 which they train for, but straight line speed is very overrated in the NFL. Tyreek is a freak because of his agility.GDAwLhcXkAQ5LjN.thumb.jpeg.e7f00e78b11e24f1d36cc3514a864088.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

What team ? Maybe we can assess some of their FA deals … ?

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Enjoy the ride.

They hadn't exhausted their ability to create space by any means.   

You have to understand this by now, don't you?   

It's all entertainment to me.   Winning a SB doesn't change my fandom one bit but it's the objective of playing the game so I'd like to see them reach that.

So save your "enjoy the ride" for whoever is riding you. ;)

Speaking of which where is @Sherlock Holmes?  I miss his commentary.