Our starting Center isn’t on the roster yet

9 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

That would be grounds for dismissal.

WR only round one 

Who is going dismiss him?   Certainly not Pegula for he will participate when welcome but does not try to direct football decisions which is something posters often complain about from many owners in NFL.

29 minutes ago, Lost said:

As long as they take WR with their 1st pick, I'm fine with this.   NFLdraftbuzz has him ranked 56th overall so he may be sitting there at 60 for the Bills.   

CBS Sports has him at 40 OA

Talking about the center position.  Next week it'll be back to another top safety or DT.  Maybe even a RB.   :doh:

These off-seasons get longer every year and I didn't think that was possible about 10 years ago.  

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes he is, they are moving McGovern to center and having Edwards start at his guard position.

They traded the backup center and released the starter - and immediately said the “plan” was McGovern. 

They don’t want to telegraph needs.  If they didn’t do that the whole league knows that Center becomes a top priority.  

Saying that at least makes them wonder what we’ll do.  

A center is very much in play for Miami maybe in RD 1 (trade back a bit for more picks?) and Washington very early in RD 2.  

I'd be fine with taking the guy but not trading up to do it.  IMO the Bills need to draft a WR, interior lineman, DT, and Safety all fairly high to assure they work out.  Trading up makes that really hard to do without having a 3rd to start with.  I'm more in favor of seeing them trade down from 28 to maybe the top of the 2nd and pick up a 3rd in the process.

I'm fine too with bundling all those 5th and 6th rounds together into 1 or maybe 2 more 4th rounders. You can get lucky and draft one in the 6th round who may become an all pro, but usually takes more time and the odds aren't good. 

Not happening. Edward’s was re-signed to start. We are not investing early-round draft capital on a position of strength. Bates was traded for draft capital, he was the heir apparent at C and became expendable when Edwards signed, because Edwards signed. Edwards is a more-than-capable G and McGovern will do fine at C. End of story. No IOL in rounds 1-3 and probably until the sixth round. (Unless they’re true to the board in Rd 5.) And God I hope I’m right. Let Kromer develop like he is now. He’s a very underrated/highly regarded positional coach, if that’s even possible. I think it may be more of him wanting to do his stuff his way and some HC’s get bothered by it. I say let him work his magic. Sorry for the ramble…

• Thank you (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

You think the second most important position on offense is … Center?

Buddy, have I got news for you.

All day, yes.  

Chiefs:  

Mahomes 

Creed Humphrey 

Kelce was mid all season 

WRs - all bums!  Rice came on late but

Bills

Allen 

The 2023 Oline

Diggs and mid WRs

Ravens 

Linderbaum 

WRs led by a rookie

Eagles - they were so concerned about Kelce they’ve been grooming a guy since 2022 - drafted to take over for him.  What other position besides QB do you prepare like that for.  

Nothing works if the Oline doesn’t.  It’s the most important position after QB - show me a team with a great to elite center I guarantee you that team wins games.  More than they lose.  

I'll show you teams with elite WRs that absolutely stink.  

Edited by Big Blitz

52 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

Not happening. Edward’s was re-signed to start. We are not investing early-round draft capital on a position of strength. Bates was traded for draft capital, he was the heir apparent at C and became expendable when Edwards signed, because Edwards signed. Edwards is a more-than-capable G and McGovern will do fine at C. End of story. 

Oh, I wouldn't be so certain. It takes a lot of wishful thinking to call center a position of strength right now.

If Beane and his scouts all think there's a stud C out there in the 2nd round that can be Josh's "Kent Hull" for the next decade, I bet they would pull the trigger. There's past precedent that they value the position too when they made Morse the highest paid C in the league.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

McGovern is gonna be that guy. I think they really like Edwards as well as he is a Kromer guy. I do too. McGovern is a natural center, played center in high school, so the dude has been snapping a long time. He will be fine. Draft somebody late sure, but there is no reason to spend a high draft pick on a center. 

Not on center necessarily, but I really want one of the 4th round picks to go to OL. We have to keep the pipeline full on that line. 

Of our top 4 picks, 2 each on O and D makes sense to me. WR, S, DT/DE and OL. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Not on center necessarily, but I really want one of the 4th round picks to go to OL. We have to keep the pipeline full on that line. 

Of our top 4 picks, 2 each on O and D makes sense to me. WR, S, DT/DE and OL. 

There’s no pipeline to fill. The OL has 9 spots on the opening day roster. Guys we pick, when we don’t have a spot open, are just picked up on the waiver wire at cut down day. Just look at the last 4 final cuts. 

17 minutes ago, QCity said:

Oh, I wouldn't be so certain. It takes a lot of wishful thinking to call center a position of strength right now.

If Beane and his scouts all think there's a stud C out there in the 2nd round that can be Josh's "Kent Hull" for the next decade, I bet they would pull the trigger. There's past precedent that they value the position too when they made Morse the highest paid C in the league.

What’s McGovern’s contract? We overpaid for Morse because we had to overpay for Morse. Morse is a good center but nothing special, especially when considering his concussion history. He’s on borrowed time. We moved on at the right time and got lucky this past season. 

The depth of the OL class may be one reason they moved on from both Bates and Morse. Cleared salary both this year and in future, and opened up 2 spots, which one was taken by Edwards and I think the other will be a developmental player in rounds 3, 4 or 5. 

This year's line can be Dawkins-Edwards-McGovern-Torrence-Brown with Alec Anderson, VanDemark and rookie draft pick as first 3 subs. Maybe Tommy Doyle stays healthy this year.

That's good planning.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1