Robust pool of available safeties = Excellent year to be replacing Hyde and Poyer

Logic

Brandon Beane will have a ton of options this year to replace Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde. It's an absolute buyer's market.

This also shows that the NFL as a whole is de-valuing the safety position, and that a market adjustment has happened and should continue.

Looking at this list, what two do you like? Who should we sign?

I say give me Jeremy Chinn and Geno Stone all day long, but there are several names I like on this list.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yeah CB contract rates have also gotten stagnant.   Just an abundance of athletes to fill the positions.

7 on 7 is helping pump these kids out in bunches and inevitably more of them don't have the ball skills to be receivers.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah CB contract rates have also gotten stagnant.   Just an abundance of athletes to fill the positions.

7 on 7 is helping pump these kids out in bunches and inevitably more of them don't have the ball skills to be receivers.

I have to give you credit (shudder). You called the de-valuation of the safety market a while back. I hate it when you're right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

He said the same thing about runnung backs, possibly 10 years ago. :) 

Shhhh. One "telling BADOL he was right about something" per week is about all I can take.

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Logic said:

Brandon Beane will have a ton of options this year to replace Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde. It's an absolute buyer's market.

This also shows that the NFL as a whole is de-valuing the safety position, and that a market adjustment has happened and should continue.

Looking at this list, what two do you like? Who should we sign?

I say give me Jeremy Chinn and Geno Stone all day long, but there are several names I like on this list.

I don't sign any of them for awhile. Wait and let the market price go down even more.

If we get an FA rather than go with a rookie, I hope the FA is no more than about 26 years old and can play a good 5 years in the system. And hopefully not cost top dollar.

Possible? If so, who?

Agreed. Chin is a definite one I have been keeping an eye on. Rapp's return piques interest, but considering that I have not seen the contract details yet I do not think Beane put large amounts of guaranteed money.

For me, safety is the kind of position where it gets dropped out of perceived importance. Boundary (and increasingly slot) CBs draw the lion's share of cap space, and it seems like around the league the safety group is what gets devalued right up until the moment that you have a subpar group and suddenly fans are wondering how those pricey cornerbacks aren't stopping big plays down the field anymore.

It works to the Bills advantage, and with the glut it's a perfect year to pick up a few journeymen while grooming mid round picks for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

If we get an FA rather than go with a rookie, I hope the FA is no more than about 26 years old and can play a good 5 years in the system. And hopefully not cost top dollar.

Possible? If so, who?

Jeremy Chinn is a McD guy, ex-panther (post mcD but still), and probably a younger poyer. i dont think he'll command more than 6 per? 

I think that this selection of safeties is gonna mirror the Hyde/Poyer signings 7 years ago.

I think they'll identify two guys that fit their scheme but aren't necessarily household names. A mid-to-low tier guy (Hyde) and an afterthought guy (Poyer). Fans will look at both and assume we must also be planning to draft some potential starters at the position, but those signings will wind up starting for us and performing well. McDermott and staff are the safety whisperers.

Based on that theory, I could see Alohi Gilman and Kamren Curl. Something like that.

I'm sticking with liking Stone and Chinn, but they never listen to me (nor should they).

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Still waiting on Rapp details. Hopefully its not actually $4-5M per with the guys available. 

Yeah, this baffles me, why sign Rapp so early? There are tons of other Safety options in FA, and Rapp was really bad in coverage here. If he's on a cheap deal & plays the same role as last year, I'm OK with it. If he's to outright replace Poyer, we're not in a great place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'd love Geno Stone, but not sure he fits McD's ideal guy. I expect we'll get some bottom tier vets and some draft picks. I don't expect a flashy move here. This is a rebuild year, imo.

Yeah I like Chinn & Stone too but what little FA $ we have will go toward guys like DQ, Ty and maybe Floyd?